Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
NO, they know HOW to. It's about getting the equipment there to do it. That will take months [best guess]
I've heard that.

My question is why?

What could possibly take months to make that happen?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
AquaPython
put it THIS way

What they KNOW how to do thus far is fail with gusto. The only thing that is helping/working is the never-before-done, submerged (at the flow point), chemical dispersant.

i saw an article today saying it could take a 7 - 9 days to re-drill it.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I've heard that.

My question is why?

What could possibly take months to make that happen?
Because it's big fucking equipment. It's probably already on it's way there - the Exxon Valdez wasn't cleaned up overnight either... This was a catestrophic accident, everything that wasn't supposed to happen - happened. A blow-out while capping a line isn't "supposed" to happen. And, the leak on the ocean floor isn't measureable. I'm not defending any of it - not in any way. But, getting shit there isn't going to be fast. A big part of it is where they need to bring the equipment from.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Because it's big fucking equipment. It's probably already on it's way there - the Exxon Valdez wasn't cleaned up overnight either... This was a catestrophic accident, everything that wasn't supposed to happen - happened. A blow-out while capping a line isn't "supposed" to happen. And, the leak on the ocean floor isn't measureable. I'm not defending any of it - not in any way. But, getting shit there isn't going to be fast. A big part of it is where they need to bring the equipment from.
Where are they bringing it from?

Shouldn't they have a few of these "things" staged around the world to be moved into place in case of emergency?

I'm sure this stuff is big but can they not travel faster than a few knots with the equipment?

I know you aren't defending it, I'm genuinely curious.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
AquaPython
put it THIS way

This is precisely why they need to NOT fucking drill off shore at all, but especially with new platforms in the atlantic.
At least the gulf is a giant, oxygen-starved, polluted, near-dead hole. This would a real fucking disaster if it happened in the atlantic.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
That and a car bomb was set off in the middle of Times Square and it's barely making the news. I don't understand what's going on.
Fox News overload.

Sensationalism overload.

Fear overload.

Terrorism overload.

Propaganda overload.

Tea Party Indignation overload.

I think we're all too tired to be up in arms about much anymore.

No one knows who to trust, who to listen to, or who will come to their aid, anymore.

The government seems powerless anymore. The cops are ineffective anymore. Laws are irrational, and their implementation often unconstitutional anymore. Cities, towns, and even states are going broke, infrastructure hopelessly broken. What seems like a recent spate of natural disasters has broken things down even more, leaving more and more people with no one to look to for help.

The reason no one is outraged anymore, is that it's become quite obvious that there's no one to become outraged AT anymore, when even government is unresponsive.

The government is no longer of the people. It belongs to corporations and banks. The people are already too burned out from being fleeced and terrorized to blink much anymore.

Another storm? Another bomb? Another disaster? Am I next?

I need to buckle down, look after my own.

Only anarchy can come from this.

I think a once great nation is in decline.

The irony is that the "terrorist's" role in over-terrorizing the populous is literally secondary in scope to that of media and government's roles.

They do more to destabilize things than the terrorists. They do it for one reason: Money. Fear sells shit, makes new laws, creates new government offices to enforce them. Fear is what they feed on.

Problem is, they've pushed the button too hard, and too often, and people are too broke, tired, and beaten to react with much vigor anymore.

Geez, another bomb? Another disaster? Is American Idol on? Pass the Cheezy Poofs...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Fox News overload.

Sensationalism overload.

Fear overload.

Terrorism overload.

Propaganda overload.

No one knows who to trust, who to listen to, or who will come to their aid, anymore.

The government seems powerless anymore. The cops are ineffective anymore. Laws are irrational, and their implementation often unconstitutional anymore. Cities, towns, and even states are going broke, infrastructure hopelessly broken. What seems like a recent spate of natural disasters has broken things down even more, leaving more and more people with no one to look to for help.

The reason no one is outraged anymore, is that it's become quite obvious that there's no one to become outraged AT anymore, when even government is unresponsive.

The government is no longer of the people. It belongs to corporations and banks. The people are already too burned out from being fleeced and terrorized to blink much anymore.

The irony is that the "terrorist's" role in over-terrorizing the populous is literally secondary in scope to that of media and government's roles.

They do more to destabilize things than the terrorists. They do it for one reason: Money. Fear sells shit, makes new laws, creates new government offices to enforce them. Fear is what they feed on.

Problem is, they've pushed the button too hard, and too often, and people are too broke, tired, and beaten to react with much vigor anymore.

Geez, another bomb? Another disaster? Is American Idol on? Pass the Cheezy Poofs...
Sounds like a book I read...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
This is precisely why they need to NOT fucking drill off shore at all, but especially with new platforms in the atlantic.
At least the gulf is a giant, oxygen-starved, polluted, near-dead hole. This would a real fucking disaster if it happened in the atlantic.
Pretty much.

Yet somehow, conservatives have succeeded in portraying increased offshore drilling is "imperative to our national security and self-reliance"

It's such a joke.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:

yes.

And, the oil/gas industry is THE big machine. It's the only industry that will throw money at a problem until it goes away, without really being affected. BP is the largest of those big machines. TransOcean is one of the largest contractors. It will all come down to lawsuits as to who is responsible.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Fox News overload.

Sensationalism overload.

Fear overload.

Terrorism overload.

Propaganda overload.

Fecking hell...it's Monday...I'm stuck in the office while it's sunny and a near perfect 70 something outside...AND I fully agree with a post by Avatard. Wow...

Having said that, though....the Gulf is FILLED with oil rigs...why would there NOT be emergency equipment on station in that area? I understand that none of it was SUPPPOSED to happen (they are called "accidents" for a reason" afterall...but...fires aren't supposed to happen either. Every city I've ever been in had a Fire Department with at least a station or two of equipment and trained personel on hand just in case.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote