Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #21
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
If you were wearing soft contacts it shouldn't need more than a couple weeks to settle but the longer you don't wear them the more likely your eyes will be in their natural postion and less likely to need a second correction. I'd go with Lasik (and did) It's less intrusive in that they only cut the skin over the cornea and laser the outside of the cornea. Don't bitch, mine was $4200

I could literally only see about 6 inches away before it got blurry before I had mine done and i could read road signs at 30-40 yrds on the way home from having it done. I did have to have my right eye corrected a year later but they've been perfect since.
well I don't really get a CHOICE... the Air Force offers both... and they'll decide which they believe is better for me.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #22
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I have horrific eye sight (contacts are -11.75L and -12R) and I have never had any desire to get Lasik done.

I guess I don't get why it's such a big deal. But then, I have never had any problems with contacts.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I have horrific eye sight (contacts are -11.75L and -12R) and I have never had any desire to get Lasik done.

I guess I don't get why it's such a big deal. But then, I have never had any problems with contacts.
When you wake up the next morning and can see the clock clearly without rolling over to 6 inches away, and clear across the room, etc. I had a lot of problems with my contacts because of my allergies. Just being able to function at anytime doing anything without some eye correction is wonderful.

BTW, you DO have horrific eyesight HH

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #24
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

oh wow Heather yes you are blind aren't you... j/k

I also have an astigmatism but the shape of my cornea voids that and I wear normal contacts. I'm apparently a freak of nature according to my eye Dr who said it's very uncommon. Hoping that doesn't effect having Lasik but..?? Mine are 3.75 and 4.00 so it's not horrible but it's bad and I don't have problems with my contacts really but..

I have to get up every morning and put them in, clean them, take them out every night, if there's a ceiling fan on or air in my face it dries them out enough to be just slightly noticeable and therefore irritating to me. Getting this done is a 'want' def not a necessary thing which is why I haven't done it so far, it's a bit expensive and paying off 1 last CC to me is more important before I rack up 3-4K more in debt. But I can't wait for the day within the next year that I can get this done...I'm guessing it will be with my tax return next year but it WILL happen..

Thanks everything for your input.

Last edited by skiergirl; 05-20-2009 at 12:21 PM..
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #25
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

It doesnt help you out overmuch, but shop around to some other Dr.'s and see if they have better prices. Its something I've been interested in, but for me its not a priority but having known several people who've done it and are going through the process, its amazing the things you find out.

My bf has been to a local doc, highly recommended who costs about $1800 per eye.

One of my coworkers saw the same doc, did some shopping, found a guy 1 state over who has been doing it for several years and only charges $1600 for both eyes (due to his highly successful practice and as busy as he stays, he can charge less). It just required the visit for the consult, surgery done within a day or so after, and he was all set. He raves about it these days.

An old boss of mine saw same doc in our local area, went to ATL and only paid about $2k for everything, tho she had to go up to ATL like 3 times.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #26
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

I know most people have good experiences and great results. I give my experience for people to think about...

I had astigmatism. The doctor I saw performed LASIK on several people I know and they are are/were happy.

Before surgery there is a waiver you sign with a list of possible side effects, such as dry eyes, halos, etc. One of those possible side effects is cornea ulcers, which I have had three times now since my surgery. Cornea ulcers are painful and can lead to blindness.

My actual surgery went fine however they tell you go to home and sleep 2-3 hours. I slept about an hour and was woken up and the pain was pretty bad. My doc said "most" people sleep the 2-3 hours which is the period that the pain is the worst and it was unfortunate for me that I woke up too early.

My eye sight is great! I have 15/20 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. If I knew then, what I know now? For my personal experience, I would NOT do LASIK. The cornea ulcers risk are not worth the trade-off IMHO.

Good luck if you decide to go for it! I am not the norm... but it would happen.

PS: My co-worker's sister ended up blind in one eye due to LASIK gone bad.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #27
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

good info....thanks

I know there HAS to be risks it's a pretty major thing to mess with your eyes. It just seems like 99% of people are happy and loved it, I'm 99% sure I'm going to do it when I have the money just doing a little research and digging now to prepare....
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #28
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Speaking of Lasik. I was reading this thread today and just got a call that I won half price Lasik and a free exam for entering a business card at our local mexican restaurant. SWEET! Guess that seals the deal on me going.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #29
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedylocksmith View Post
yeah, kinda strange. This is who did mine ----> http://www.mleye.com/ Dr. Lessner did mine personally. It was $4400 because of the astigmatism but well worth it since you only get one chance and I'd rather have one of the best do it. He's done Tiger Woods, and is the official Lasik provider to UM, Panthers, Dolphins, Heat and Marlins
according to the commercials, it was TLC Lazer Eye Clinic that did Tiger Woods' surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #30
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Whatever any of you do who are thinking about it, I STRONGLY suggest you don't try to find a "cheap" place to do it. It's going to cost about $2k an eye for any reputable place and they are the best, period. It's your eyes and you don't want to risk them. The places that advertise the "specials" and low prices are typically the ones that are having problems getting the business. Do some research and find the best place in your area and don't take the risk to save a few bucks.

There are a lot of places in ATL that were advertising $400 an eye but when you went to get it done it wasn't a full correction to 20/20...if you wanted 20/20 the price went up and you'd end up paying the same at a company using shady marketing to try to get business.

Just my opinon but wanted to give y'all something to think about on that.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote