Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Last year my wife's business had a 55' trailer stolen: theives backed a semi up, smashed the hitch lock (it was in pieces on the ground) and drove that bugger away. If pro thieves target your stuff, it's gone.

The more locks and crap you put on a bike, the more likely amatuer thieves will trash it. I now put GPS on my stuff.

http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PR...king/iFind1000

All you can do is just be as preventative as possible, cover the bike, put a CHAIN on it, and a GPS tracking and that should keep ya safe. If someone wants it, then they'll get it. Watch as you drive it in your lot or storage area, see that no one is scoping out your bike, don't be flashy or loud as you get into your complex, not bringing attention to it might help too.

Being in construction, I've seen quite a bit of weird stuff stolen overnight and wondered how they got away without ever being noticed. You'd think someone would notice a oversize load trailer with a 50,000 lb Caterpillar trackhoe leaving a construction site at 3am, but they got away. Skidloaders (aka Bobcats) and welders are the two most common objects stolen from construction sites. Myself being in plumbing and HVAC we had $20,000 worth of copper pipe and fittings stolen overnight from job we were doing in a pretty populated area. 4"and 6" copper pipe and fittings, thrown into the parking lot out of the 4th floor of a building into the parking lot. They got away that night, but were caught at the scrap yard, only because we had called ahead of time.
Hydrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
i2iSTUDIOS
Photog

Moto: 03 CBR600 F4i

Any recommendations for the chain? I need a good long distance since the concrete piller I park behind is 2.5' in diameter so maybe 8-10' of chain. Is Kryponite considered a chain or are they just crap?
i2iSTUDIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

My bikes are locked in a garage BUT when out on the road and not having access to a garage this is what I do.

Full coverage insurance plus 2 disc locks and a cable. I lock both bikes together through the frame so at least they may have to pick up both bikes at the same time unless they are equipped to defeat the locks/cable.

I try to always get a room that I can see the bikes and I check on them as much as I can.

That's pretty much all I do...so far...so good.

From this place...

http://www.trimaxlocks.com/index.asp

Here is the disclocks I use and the cable I use...seems to be pretty decent stuff.

The MAX60 is a short shackle motorcycle disc cable U-lock. TRIMAX cable U-locks are simply the strongest short shackle locks you can buy.

The MAX60 is ideal when combined with a TRIMAX cable or chain for securing motorcycles, bicycles, spare tires, ATVs, marine, trailers and much, much more.

Features one key equipped with a mini flashlight
Durable PVC sleeve covers chrome steel shackle to prevent marring and scratching
Hardened solid steel lock prevents prying, sawing and hammer impacts
Tough polymer outer skin absorbs hammer strikes and reduces marring and scratching
Ideal for bicycles, motorcycles, spare tires, trailers, marine and more
Type B key, which is an ultra secure wise wafer key. Lock core design provides the highest degree of protection against picking. Includes 3 keys. One key is equipped with a mini flash light.

Specifications:
LIFETIME WARRANTY
1/2 inch hardened chrome plated solid steel shackle

The TG3072SX is a SUPERMAX security armor plated stainless steel locking cable (6 feet long x 26mm diameter) for maximum protection and security.

The TG3072SX is ideal for securing motorcycles, bicycles, spare tires, ATVs, marine, trailers and much, much more.

Monster 26 mm stainless steel locking cable
Maximum security armor plated cable lock
Durable PVC skin prevents scratching
Ballistic grade polymer lock housing cover resists hammer strikes and protects lock mechanism
Patented key cover resists grime and moisture
Flexible for easy transport
Ideal for bicycles, motorcycles, spare tires, trailers, marine and more
Type B key, which is an ultra secure wise wafer key

Specifications:
LIFETIME WARRANTY
6 feet long x 26mm diameter
Heavy duty
Commercial grade
Stainless steel
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

and its like that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onguard.jpg (207.4 KB, 13 views)
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote