Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I'm fat. I land harder.
you can't use that excuse, there are two fat guys that run with us and do it very successfully. They make suspension for these bikes for fat people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #12
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
go to a track school, MSF is highly overrated.
Oh man do I want to go to a track school. I told my instructors that I want to get into club racing after graduation. During the drill where you do a straight into a sweeping corner, I was trying my hardest to get my knee to the ground without touching, cause I just had jeans on. They just shook their heads and waved me by. They barely ever had to correct me, and of course they had to pick me to do the test first. It was a good experience, and a good excuse to get 3 days off work..
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #13
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
go to a track school, MSF is highly overrated.
Dude this really makes no sense for what the MSF is supposed to teach you which is how to ride a motorcycle. You don't go to a track to learn how to ride, you go to learn how to ride fast. Put a new rider at a trackday out here and he is gonna crash.

MSF also teaches you how to survive on the street. It's a good course, but people need further training. ERC what Derf suggested is the next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Oh man do I want to go to a track school. I told my instructors that I want to get into club racing after graduation. During the drill where you do a straight into a sweeping corner, I was trying my hardest to get my knee to the ground without touching, cause I just had jeans on. They just shook their heads and waved me by. They barely ever had to correct me, and of course they had to pick me to do the test first. It was a good experience, and a good excuse to get 3 days off work..
How old are you? If you wanna club race, start young. This way when you crash (and you will) you will heal faster.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Dude this really makes no sense for what the MSF is supposed to teach you which is how to ride a motorcycle. You don't go to a track to learn how to ride, you go to learn how to ride fast. Put a new rider at a trackday out here and he is gonna crash.

MSF also teaches you how to survive on the street. It's a good course, but people need further training. ERC what Derf suggested is the next step.
He knows how to ride, which is why I suggested track school.

MSF doesn't do a good job of teaching you how to survive on the street, it barely teaches you the basics. It's a weak course limited by many things.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I went from MSF straight to racing - I put about 200 miles on my 'street' bike - all neighborhood stuff to get the basics down. And then my street bike became a race only bike.

It can be done.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
I went from MSF straight to racing - I put about 200 miles on my 'street' bike - all neighborhood stuff to get the basics down. And then my street bike became a race only bike.

It can be done.
Heck, you can skip street riding and MSF. It's possible to learn on your own and go straight to track schools/racing. Most racing leagues require a school, so it's hard to get into most series without the school license.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post

How old are you? If you wanna club race, start young. This way when you crash (and you will) you will heal faster.
I'm 22. I have been riding on and off for 3 years, when finances permit me to have a bike. The R6 was my first bike. The reason I bought the smaller VF was to save some money for a "decent" track bike. And its comfortable as shit.

If I get a job in ohio by next march, I hope to be racing by summer. If i get a job in LA... im not so sure. I probably wont have the money.

Mid-Ohio has a 2-day race school for beginner/intermediate/experts that runs all year long. A 2 day school with 9 hours of track time instruction is $365
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 09-28-2010 at 02:34 PM..
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

That's a decent price in my book.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #19
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post

It can be done.
Yeah but you have to admit though you are not the norm. Damn Betty Spies :

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
Old 09-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #20
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I'm 22. I have been riding on and off for 3 years, when finances permit me to have a bike. The R6 was my first bike. The reason I bought the smaller VF was to save some money for a "decent" track bike. And its comfortable as shit.

If I get a job in ohio by next march, I hope to be racing by summer. If i get a job in LA... im not so sure. I probably wont have the money.

Mid-Ohio has a 2-day race school for beginner/intermediate/experts that runs all year long. A 2 day school with 9 hours of track time instruction is $365
Well....three years riding in OHIO doesn't allow for the best cornering experience does it. But....I'm guessing in the midwest the range of racer talent is much more broad than say in CA because we can ride year round and in canyons.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM