Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Outstanding!!

Perhaps some track time or a one on one course session with someone could help ya out Zed!

I know when I went down at the track, I was back out on the street as soon as I fixed the bike, but the first time I went back to the track I panicked and almost refused to get out there. As soon as I got my feet out on the track however and did a few laps, I was good as new again. Maybe Im just too dumb to worry about it...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Perhaps some track time or a one on one course session with someone could help ya out Zed!
I've been to a couple but they always want me to go faster than I feel comfortable with. another thing is if I wad up this one it'll be quite a while before I am able to get insurance. the last one I was a couple months from going 3 years without wading one up (so I had 3 within 5 years and they don't like that) they were going to drop me.

don't get me wrong, I still get out there and try as much as possible, just can't get past that feeling. used to not matter if I couldn't see all the way through the corner, now if it's not a clearly seen corner I get that feeling.

think if I could remember what happened in that last crash it would help. I can't own what I don't remember. all I know is I screwed up somehow.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
I've been to a couple but they always want me to go faster than I feel comfortable with.
I think you're going to the wrong ones then!! No good Control Rider or Rider Coach would encourage you to go faster than what you are comfortable with! Its all about riding where your comfortable until YOU are ready to up the pace. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I think you're going to the wrong ones then!! No good Control Rider or Rider Coach would encourage you to go faster than what you are comfortable with! Its all about riding where your comfortable until YOU are ready to up the pace. Good luck!
I have only went to the free days that Tucker Rocky pays for, for the dealership employees since the crash (you really don't make enough money to do what you love working in a bike shop). it was at HPT, wouldn't think that it was a free (to me) trackday would have mattered on how they did things.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
I have only went to the free days that Tucker Rocky pays for, for the dealership employees since the crash (you really don't make enough money to do what you love working in a bike shop). it was at HPT, wouldn't think that it was a free (to me) trackday would have mattered on how they did things.

Free or not, actual rider instructors and GOOD Control riders would never encourage you to do something as foolish as riding over your limits. They should and typically do work with each rider at the RIDER's pace and skill level. No wonder it wasnt beneficial in helping you get past the "issue".

My CR's recognized me and actually watched me closer when I first got back out to check for timidity or "blocks" that I needed to work on. My accident was first and foremost caused by improper body postioning and riding faster than my skill could keep up with and they were quick to check on my comfort back on track and to offer suggestions and drag me around to assist with my "recovery".
Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

So it's Stuckied? Amen on OTBs post. I really agree with the "Own it" part. All crashes are rider error. What did you do and how can you avoid it again.

I am terribly analytical (was going to say anal, but you know how that flies around here!) I always critic my rides afterwards, crash or not to see where I could have improved. Sometimes all i recall (thankfully) is close calls and I make note of that before I try some boneheaded maneuver next ride.

Experience cometh from seat time and better riding from experience. Can't let a fall keep you from gaining more seat time if you really love what you do on 2 wheels. Accept responsibility for what happened and move on, wiser and better prepared...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I did a boneheaded move yesterday riding home from work. Last minute decision to take an exit, had already started moving over while checking blind spot... I'm usually johnny on the spot about checking my blind spot first, but I came close to sideswiping a car. Thankfully I looked back before I'd crossed into the other lane, but damn I felt stupid for doing that (and I'm sure the guy in the car wasn't too happy about it either).

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #18
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

This is a good post and I'm glad I found it. My biggest issue is not being healed enough to ride anyway and not having a bike anymore to ride even if I could physically do it.

I'm thinking that when I do have the money to buy another bike it's gonna be a motard and it's going to be for the track. I remember every second leading up to, during and after my crash and all I can see when I look at cars on the road now is what kind of damage their front end will do to my body. So it's gonna be a while before I ever hit the streets again.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

honestly, it was harder getting back on the horse last year when kev died. Probably because i wasnt stranded somewhere with my only option riding home. Still, i hate the feeling the bike has when you start back up. Always feels greasy to me. My mind tells me its because the tire slid sideways and is no longer even but i think i just get hyper sensitive to all feedback. Dunno
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It's a little insane, but crashing is the biggest adrenaline rush you'll ever have a motorcycle. I know my first Turn 1 get-off at JGP was pretty benign, busted a footpeg and rearset bracket, that's it, but it was about a 115mph lowside. I didn't exactly enjoy it, but there was definitely a rush from pushing right to the edge, sometimes you stretch the envelope, sometimes you don't.
Funny how the big ones sometimes are the easiest... I think it will be harder for me to get on a bike MONTHS after my little mini-bike incident than it was for me to hop on and ride 20 minutes after eating shit at 75MPH... Of course, the shattered kneecap helps...

That being said... I'm damn lucky everything happened the way it did. If I had crashed hard at 15MPH, I certainly wouldn't have learned my lesson... I thought I learned my lesson at 75MPH... Only I guess stupid didn't hurt enough then...

After tasting pavement at a higher rate of speed... I respected the road and most of it's variables... After annihilating my kneecap at low speed... I respected the first thing I should have been respecting the whole time... the fucking machine itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Uhh.. the grammatically correct term is.... stuck.
I think stickied is appropriate given the circumstances...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote