Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Amorok chose to ride through a hurricane. They dont get hit too bad by hurricane season, usually buy the time storms get up there, thats all they are, windy 1 day storms. if a hurricane hits I would pack it in for a night and either pick up the males later in the trip or cut off a section. We would travel counter clockwise so we do have the option to shave places off.

Also the map lies, it's laid out flat so the northern sections are way stretched out, if you look at the distance legend in the bottom right of the screen it changes distance depending where on the map you are. the distance from my house to RI is roughly the same as the distance up to Hudson bay

The dirt roads are pretty good, except for the freshly graded sections where they get real soft, but ride reports even folks who are new to dirt wind up doing 60mph (possibly 60kph), and slowing down to 30 for the graded sections.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Take your budget and double it. Then you'll be prepared. Fuck, on my long trip I had to buy another bike. THAT was an expensive trip.
I wouldnt buy another bike, just rent a truck and have someone meet me as far north as I could with my truck. Worst case senario, I leave my bike somewhere preferably not just the side of the road, get to quebec or some other larger area and get picked up.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Seems like a bad idea to plan on hurricane season with what Amorok said about hurricane duty. Hope it goes through.

You should be able to do the mileage up there. The dirt roads don't look to terribly challenging from what I have seen on ride reports from advrider.
This is the reason for september, black flies are monsters and will eat you alive, but start dissapearing in august and are mostly gone by sept.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I wouldnt buy another bike, just rent a truck and have someone meet me as far north as I could with my truck. Worst case senario, I leave my bike somewhere preferably not just the side of the road, get to quebec or some other larger area and get picked up.
Fuck that shit... I REALLY wanted to finish the trip. You've made it halfway through your cross country trip... might as well do everything you can to finish it.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Fuck that shit... I REALLY wanted to finish the trip. You've made it halfway through your cross country trip... might as well do everything you can to finish it.
Thats the differnce between me and you, I have no problem giving up and just going home.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Amorok chose to ride through a hurricane. They dont get hit too bad by hurricane season, usually buy the time storms get up there, thats all they are, windy 1 day storms. if a hurricane hits I would pack it in for a night and either pick up the males later in the trip or cut off a section. We would travel counter clockwise so we do have the option to shave places off.

Also the map lies, it's laid out flat so the northern sections are way stretched out, if you look at the distance legend in the bottom right of the screen it changes distance depending where on the map you are. the distance from my house to RI is roughly the same as the distance up to Hudson bay

The dirt roads are pretty good, except for the freshly graded sections where they get real soft, but ride reports even folks who are new to dirt wind up doing 60mph (possibly 60kph), and slowing down to 30 for the graded sections.
I was talking about canceling leave. Amorok didn't want us to do the rally during hurricane season cause he may not be able to make it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
I was talking about canceling leave. Amorok didn't want us to do the rally during hurricane season cause he may not be able to make it.
Yeh he's in one of those important-ish jobs, neither ebbs or myself are important. Hell if it rains hard enough I go home early.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
I would increase your budget a lot. Especially if you are switching tires. If you either of you can't, I would also learn how to spoon a tubed tire on and off properly.
I've done it once or twice, and I'm sure I can do it in an emergency ie a puncture... but I don't have the spoons, thats on the list of things I need to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobuny View Post
I would add two/three days and go around lake superior.....that trip is well worth taking.

I would also increase the gas budget.....canadian petrol is alot higher than in the US. Last time we were in nothern ontario gas was 1+ a liter......thats 4+ a gallon. The more remote up there the higher the gas prices, I have seen 2.50 a liter in some areas.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/fmd/exchange.html will get you the most accurate currency rates of exchange. I usually get the best rate from using my ATM/debit card. Credit cards will hit you with a foreign currency fee that my credit union does not.

Have fun....looks like an awesome trip!
Yes gas will go up... I'm thinking around 800 for gas for me for all 10k miles... that's an average of like $4 per gal for the whole trip... I'll be under for sure.

Quote:
Im planning 2 tire changes, street to knobbies, then back tothe street tires I brought with me leaving the knobbies up there. Gonna bring the tires with me. Also inner tubes too.

Those cost associated with prepping for the trip aren't factored in, tent, bug spray, ridimg gear, oil filters, extra levers, and anything i think i will need. The only things I want to buy is oil, food, and gas
I will probably wear out a set getting to you(what ever I've been running that summer), so I'll probably ship two sets of tires to your house, throwing the new set on, and packing the other.

Quote:
skip detroit....the riding sucks! Other than that it look like the trip of a lifetime! Wish I could make that one happen!
Detroit is a must, we're stopping by Gas's and going from there to Niagara Falls... gotta go through detroit. not worried about traffic... we're gonna hit up NYC for some pics too on the way up

Quote:
HWY 129 across ontario from Sault Saint Marie is twisty but some of the pavement is in poor condition (rode it this summer). The locals use ranger lake road which is dirt but much straighter. Not sure what you prefer on the dual sports.
personally it's 50/50 with the tires we'll have on probably dirt... but broken pavement is nothing on the DRZ for me... don't think twice.

Quote:
Your ok with dirt right? Many roads in northern ontario/quebec are not paved, have little traffic and you may need to arrange for fuel, especially toward Hudson bay. We snowmobile up there and there is nothing....I repeat nothing in some of these areas....100's of miles of nothing. But the wildlife and scenery is amazing.
I'm fine with dirt... no issues at all... I may go down... but everyone does time to time in dirt... unlike asphalt... no two dirt roads are the same

and that's exactly what we're looking for... NOTHING! the escape... well... at least that's what I'M looking for

Quote:
I would check fuel stops with you range prior to making that trip to be safe. Also there is very little cell phone coverage up there! Definately no 3g service and no roadside either We always make sure someone knows our nightly destination and call from the campsite/motel at the end of the day.
I can go about 200-220 miles per tank depending on speed. He can go further... I'll have a 3 gal tank on the back... that'll bring me to 350-370 miles...

I'm planning on buying a spot personal locator beacon... (it sends an "I'm OK" message every so often(adjustable) and can send a SOS with your GPS coordinates if need be.

but yes, I know there is 0 cell service outside of major towns/cities up there.

Quote:
I also would not plan on riding at night...moose and caribo are very big to a motorcycle. The good news is that being that far north you have daylight in the summer to 10-11 pm.
Yeah we're not planning long days... so should be able to make it to camp and set up well before dark.

Quote:
Oh, they also get snow in July sometimes. Dress warm. Not winter snowstorm snow but flurries are not that uncommon.

Sorry for the book, Hope this helps and make sure you take tons of pictures.
Yeah I've lived in AK so I know how Sept can be... I'll be dressed in lots of layers... most of my clothes I will be wearing... with just the undergarments and socks having extra's to pack.

Quote:
Seems like a bad idea to plan on hurricane season with what Amorok said about hurricane duty. Hope it goes through.

You should be able to do the mileage up there. The dirt roads don't look to terribly challenging from what I have seen on ride reports from advrider.
Hurricane season is not a great time for me... but I'm not a critical asset. I do have to shelter with the airmen... but if I'm out of cell reach they can't call me back

yeah all the reports I've seen the roads are very manageable. there are some sections of construction... but other than a wait to get by... nothing bad, especially on two small dual sports.

Quote:
Take your budget and double it. Then you'll be prepared. Fuck, on my long trip I had to buy another bike. THAT was an expensive trip.

Quote:
This is the reason for september, black flies are monsters and will eat you alive, but start dissapearing in august and are mostly gone by sept.

Yes... I'm most def getting a mosquito net!

Quote:
I hear ya... I'm the same way... for me... all the hardship just adds to the adventure... like I said... it could pour down rain every day and I'd still go...

Quote:
yeah they may cancel if there's on on the horizon... but Amorok left that year with the knowledge that a Hurricane was coming and he may get called back. he was also in a job that made him of vital importance... me not so much... I'm mission essential if i'm here... but if I'm on leave they'll wait until the last minute to call me back (and if they do that... chances are I'll be out of cell service and it'll take me days to get back)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
Yes gas will go up... I'm thinking around 800 for gas for me for all 10k miles... that's an average of like $4 per gal for the whole trip... I'll be under for sure.
I did a quick very conservative estimate on the new distances we discussed last night, and at $4 per gallon I would spend $650 for thw whole trip. And thats low balling the mpg the KLR gets. My few long trips on this bike have been at highway speeds 75+ and I've managed to do better than 50mpg with those huge saddle bags, since most of our riding will probably be closer to 50mph I should get 55 or better fully loaded.

Quote:
and that's exactly what we're looking for... NOTHING! the escape... well... at least that's what I'M looking for

I'm looking for something, just not sure what it is yet. There are a few things I want to see specifically, the Manic Dam system, Mt Washington, Goose Bay, Niagara falls, that recreation of the ancient fishermen, icebergs, whales, moose, caribou. Plus I really get a kick out of talking to locals, I've heard that up there outside of the cities they are really cool and feel a need to sop and talk to all travelers.

Quote:
I can go about 200-220 miles per tank depending on speed. He can go further... I'll have a 3 gal tank on the back... that'll bring me to 350-370 miles...

My range is 200 at worst to 255 best, those are actually the only two times I have paid attention to my gas mileage when i filled it up, and thats without having to switch to reserve.

Quote:
Yeah we're not planning long days... so should be able to make it to camp and set up well before dark.
He's not planning any long days, Other than a few small side trips, NYC, a town in CT, I want to get the fuck out of dodge and hightail it out of the northeast as fast as possible and into Canadar. (HINT HINT) I've been up and down the east coast by bike and really there sin't much i want to see, I'm way more interested in getting away from civilization, red lights super highways, rude people, and all the fun stuff. I would prefer to make it as far north as possible hitting all the new england states with a side trip into NYC, in two days, and sleep in Canada the second night. i figure vermont or Maine is the first night, and canada the second. We can get almost to sydney in 2 days, spend day 3 on the cabott trail, then the ferry to newfoundland on day 4 with some more riding that day.

We also have a route figured out that hits every state in the northeast with the only out of the way side venture being VT. MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME all in one day is very doable, the quickest route is 700 miles for all that, it would be a long day (HINT HINT)but it gets the most congested part of the whole ride out of the way in one day.

What we talked about is that most days should be around 300-350 miles.

And i own a mosqito net/shirt its like the one pictured, but with a torso and sleeves.

Last edited by derf; 09-20-2010 at 03:02 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
most days should be around 300-350 miles.
That's a lot on dirt, especially for a dirt noob. I suggest you take trips to technical dirt roads and practice practice practice. You will be amazed how much energy it takes to ride dirt vs street for the same stretch when you first start out.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote