Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #11
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
no its not a thread dedicated to gman, its a place to talk petrol

i used to swear by speedway, but got better milage with marathon so im considering making a switch

citgo is evil so is petrol express both owned by fuckface chavez
contine with the gassy words of wisedom
marathon does give you better gas milage cause the speedway is the generic version of marathon gas. I will get into this in a min...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
No need to wait for GM to chime in... It's all the same, anywhere you get it.
Again... that is not true... listen to Pickle... he's heard my rap on this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Not true, and Gas Man is going to give you a verbal bitch-slap for saying so
Oh...its coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
I think he said chains and affiliates all have the same stuff and use the same infrastructure. So maybe Pilot and 7-11 and Citgo all have the same stuff, and Sheetz and Shell and BP have their own stuff. Not every name has different stuff.
You are close... but sheetz is generic.

Somebody said something about shell v-power... that was a new change about 3 or 4 years ago. All they did was go to 3 parts of the additive as I will describe below...

OH boy... get ready boys... this is my thing...

Here's the problem with these theorys...

Generic vs Branded gas.

Like the old saying "don't buy gas from a gas station that doesn't hold the name of the refinery". The gas it self is the same UNTIL it is put into the semi truck to be hauled to the gas station. What happens is that the actual gas gets a additive injected into while it fills the semi. This is where the differences start.

Generic is gas such as Speedway, KMart, Wal Mart, Sams, Admiral, Clark, Rich, Meijer, and many others that aren't list in the next list. The generic gas
comes from Mobil, and Marathon gas tank terminals but again changes with the additives.

BRANDED is Mobil, Marathon, BP (use to be Amoco), Sunoco, Shell. Side note, there use to be BP & Amoco. BP (British Petrl) bought Amoco (American Oil
Company).

The govt says that all these oil companies have to add "additives". The additives have different chemicals but mostly the same. The additives contain fuel milage enhancers, cleaners, evironmental crap and other good shit that your motor likes. The cleaners are good for your motor, duh! However, if the govt says you must inject "1" (I don't mean 1 additive I
mean just 1 as a unit)that's all the generic gas' gets. However, the Branded gas inject 3 times that amount. This is to ensure that their gas performs better than the generic gas. HERE'S WHERE THE GAS STARTS GETTING MORE DIFFERENT.

Branded GAS + 3 additive (sometimes ehtynol and becoming more normal) = Good GAS

Then you have GAS additive(generic) + ethynol = generic gas. Which brings us to ethynol.

This is something that the govt is pushing onto the oil companies. It is acholhol. The oil company such as Marathon gets a BIG tax break for using it in their generic gas. They get a tax break at the tank terminal, and the gas station. Here's the incentive for using it. It helps the gas burn MORE therefor cleaner. Cleaner means better for the tree huggers. Now they don't inj. ethynol into the branded gas.

Now cleaner burn also means cleaner gas tank. Just think about it, you can clean stuff with acholhol. When the semi's are hauling all branded gas they get a type of "non-luster" to the inside of their trailers. Then they haul some ethynol inj. gas and from driving down the road (splish splash) gets the inside of the trailer all clean. Now we have all heard of these guys saying, I put that ethynol injected crap gas into my "car/truck/bike" and it fucked it up. The problem is that the ethynol has cleaned out the gas tank and all that crud and crap has crapped up their gas filter and maybe injectors. You also may hear about it drying out o-rings and such. I try to use it everyonce and a while to keep everything clean and shinny but not all time.

Bottom line....

Generic gas gives you less good stuff plus ethynol.

Branded gas gives you 3 times good stuff and no ethynol (harder to find with no ethynol)

Now to understand what happens with octane now.

NOW that the ehtynol has become almost completely involved... So now there isn't even really standard 87, or 93. There was never 89. 89 is blended at the pump (where you fill up) with 87 & 93 to make the 87.

But with the ethynol being in almost every gallon now a days. The ethynol is 103 octane... so that will raise the octane of the product. So now your gas is blended at the tank farm as it goes into the semi trailer tanker.

For example... our 93 octane
Ethynol 10% of 103 octane = 11.3
93 octane product is 74% of the liquid = 68.82
85 octane product is 16% of the liquid = 13.6
============================== 93.72 octane or what you get at the pump

Now on the buy american oil theory that is most recent email going around...

It went somin like this... and is COMPLETE BS

Quote:
Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell.......................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.........144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil..............130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway..117,740,000 barrels
Amoco........................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo Gas comes from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans.

Do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (Oil is now $90-$100 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that
DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco................ 0 barrels
Conoco................ 0 barrels
Sinclair................ 0 barrels
BP/Phillips.......... 0 barrels
Hess.................... 0 barrels
ARC0. .................. 0 barrels
Also: Pilot, Flying J, Love's, RaceTrac, Valero

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do just forward this email

breathe....

Do you really know where the gas at the pump is coming from? You go to your local place for gas. Where is it? Let's say a Sam's Club. Where do they get their gas? When is the last time you saw a Sam's Club tank farm, refinery, and/or tanker truck? You don't. Its generic gas that they get at the lowest cost for the day. That may be a Marathon loading rack today and a BP the next.

Now..again... so Marathon gets some imported oil, refines it and stores it in their above ground tank farms. Then they sell 10,000 bbls of the gas to Valero (who in my area was bought out by Husky Oil in Lima, OH) and its shipped thru a pipeline to Joe's Oil & Fuel storage. Joe has an agreement with many oil companies. But for this 10,000 bbls its got Valero's name on it. So Bob's trucking comes in with an order for the Valero station on Main St. Picks up a load and drops it off at the gas station on Main St. You buy it from there thinking you're supporting non-imported oil when it actually was refined at Marathon.

This happens everyday. I run about 2 million bbls a month thru my facility of about every petroleom product out.

The thing is that its all fungible product. Meaning they swap back and forth and sell to whomever. BPO makes product for themselves and others like Sunoco. Marathon makes it for themselves, Valero, Husky, RKA, Sunoco. Sunoco makes it for about the same. They all make jet fuel for North West Airlines. Mobil does alot of the same.

Many of these companies that use to own everything. From the drilling rigs, refineries, pipelines, tank farms, tanker trucks, and the gas stations have sold off. Many of them just own the refineries now. They don't want the liabilities of it all anymore. So they sold the gas station to Abeeb. The trucks to Joe. The tank storage farms and under ground pipelines to other companies like mine. And the drilling rigs to Bruce Willis so he can drill in space.

The same holes are poked thru the email theory about not buying oil from one company. These emails are produced by people that don't truely know what is going on. I could go on and on and on about the inner workings of this stuff that I know. I have been born and raised in this world. My dad more or less did the same job I did. I even do what his job was and more (typicall of today's job cutting). Not too mention I have did every dirty job leading to this position.

Now this is not every bit of info on the subject but a desent low down. If you have any questions just let me know. I think that makes sense. There are more in's and out's to all of this but it's getting kind of long.

This is why I'm "Gas Man"

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #12
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
no its not a thread dedicated to gman, its a place to talk petrol

i used to swear by speedway, but got better milage with marathon so im considering making a switch

citgo is evil so is petrol express both owned by fuckface chavez
contine with the gassy words of wisedom
We don't have any of those near here
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #14
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Damn GMan that was actually very interesting for me...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

and this is why i thought it was a worth while thread, thanks gman

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #16
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Okay GMAN so what the fuck I got outta that was roll name branded say 90% of the time and Generic 10% to clean the extra crap outta my tank????

So after every 9 or 10 fillups, do one generic for that alcohol/ethynol crap?
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

No... they almost all have ethynol now. Rarely will you find it otherwise. Further, they no longer HAVE to have the ethynol stickers on the pumps. So you won't know.

The branded gas is the one with more cleaners and enhancers.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #18
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

That's one thing that's gonna hit me when I get home. Gas prices. Fucking rediculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
No... they almost all have ethynol now. Rarely will you find it otherwise. Further, they no longer HAVE to have the ethynol stickers on the pumps. So you won't know.

The branded gas is the one with more cleaners and enhancers.
So the cleaners work like the ethynol, basically. Ethynol isn't added just because of its cleaning properties, was it?

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #19
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
That's one thing that's gonna hit me when I get home. Gas prices. Fucking rediculous.

So the cleaners work like the ethynol, basically. Ethynol isn't added just because of its cleaning properties, was it?
I'm pretty sure ethanol is just cheaper than real gasoline.

(No I haven't read the whole thing yet- no time)
Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #20
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Yes ethynol is cheaper... and in the winter they inject butane in the gas as well!!!!

Anymore Dlit... ethynol is always added to everything... I'm just saying that its a cleaner, it really is just de-natured achohol.

Here's another sniplet from another gas thread on WOS

Quote:
The only difference between any "branded" gas is like saying Pizza Hut's Deep Dish is better than Jet's Deep Dish Pizza. They both cost similar, both fill you up and clog your arteries. What is the difference? Slight taste but virtually the same.

Generic vs branded is that the branded gases use more additives (cleaners, milage enhancers, epa crapola, ect).

Do you remember when shell rolled out its "V-Power" and the commercials showed 2 of the same cars driving. One on "the other brand" and one on "V-Power". The "V-"power" car went farther on the same amount and got better gas milage. I was working in Flint at the time and in genessee county they got their Shell gas from the Mobil tank farm (using their own "Shell additive") on Dort Hwy. When they did the switch the Mobil operator just changed the amount of additive from "1 part" to "3 parts" per X number of gals. Increasing the additive, therefor the milage enhancers and detergants, giving you better gas milage.

This idea is the same when it comes to generic vs branded. The root product of the gas is the same. Its the additive that changes in quanity (generic vs branded) and "flavor" (branded vs branded vs generic vs generic).

That is why I bring up the point of gas station quality. Not only does it bring to light the quality and cleanlinest of the underground tank but also the calibration of their pumps. Sure the pumps are calibrated and checked by the state.. but you know...

And lets not even talk about octane... that is simple... if your motor isn't setup for it, ie; high compression, advanced timing, ect... then you're wasting your money. Send it to me for your gasoline education.

Run Amsoil Product