Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S
Default Final Fantasy.... VIII-2

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/334...-2-coming-2012

Quote:
Apparently unfazed by the disastrous reception of Final Fantasy XIV (Buy | Search), publisher Square Enix is once again looking to its extensive back catalog for the next in the much-loved series.

But this time it's Final Fantasy XIII (Buy | Search) that's in the frame for a follow-up, and in one of those naming decisions that'll make perfect sense to fans and none at all to anyone else, it'll be called Final Fantasy XIII-2. It'll launch in Japan this year, while Western gamers will have to wait until next winter.

Although little is known about the game beyond its trailer and a solitary screenshot, Square Enix promised in a statement it'll sport a new story, an "evolved" battle system, and the return of numerous familiar characters from the original game.

Depending on exactly how you count them, there are somewhere in the region of 30 major titles in the Final Fantasy series, making it one of gaming's most prolific franchises. Known for its intricate plots, strong characterizations, and sumptuous presentation, the series has been on a downward trend for some years.

Final Fantasies IV, VII, and IX are still remembered as some of the best games of all time, but following the 2004 departure of series' creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, they've struggled to attain the same recognition they enjoyed in previous decades, although sales remain broadly strong.

Its most recent installment, subscription-based massively multiplayer online world Final Fantasy XIV, was a disaster. Excoriated by critics for its poor interface, bad economy, and unfinished game mechanics, it scored an average review mark below 50%. Numerous prominent publications scored down in the 30-40% region -- a rare feat for a major release.

Square Enix has repeatedly apologized for its quality, handing out free subscription extensions to unfortunate players. Around 600,000 players bought Final Fantasy XIV, and we suspect as many as two or three of them are still playing it.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Crap, Meant to put XIII-2 in the title. Can a mod please edit?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Top-5-of-2010

Last edited by Rangerscott; 01-23-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Can we dress lightning up in slutty outfits like in x2?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

I hope its better than XIII. That game was just horrible. Disgusting might even be a better word. Worst RPG i've played this generation, period. The characters were unlikeable, the story sucked, and you literally spend 35 hours running down straight halways and fighting the same enemies over and over.

I love FF, and I absolutely hated this game.

Theres already a VII-2 btw. Its called Crisis Core. Its pretty good too.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I hope its better than XIII. That game was just horrible. Disgusting might even be a better word. Worst RPG i've played this generation, period. The characters were unlikeable, the story sucked, and you literally spend 35 hours running down straight halways and fighting the same enemies over and over.

Yeah I have Crisis Core and liked it a lot. I didn't bother with XIII. Your review seems pretty common.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post

Sounds like an rpg lol
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sounds like an rpg lol

You obviously havent played many rpg's then.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Is it going to be another 40 hours of movies with mindlessly boring gameplay and a lame ass battle system? FFXIII was the only Final Fantasy game I didn't play through to the end. FFXII was lame, but I finished it. I'm about 20 hours into 13 and it feels like I've made no progress, the characters are fucking lame and annoying, and the game feels like it's playing itself, at least until you get to the next FMV that's half an hour long and does little to progress the story. If I wanted to watch a bad movie, there's plenty I can hit up on Netflix.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Is it going to be another 40 hours of movies with mindlessly boring gameplay and a lame ass battle system? FFXIII was the only Final Fantasy game I didn't play through to the end. FFXII was lame, but I finished it. I'm about 20 hours into 13 and it feels like I've made no progress, the characters are fucking lame and annoying, and the game feels like it's playing itself, at least until you get to the next FMV that's half an hour long and does little to progress the story. If I wanted to watch a bad movie, there's plenty I can hit up on Netflix.

Trust me, it only gets worse as you get further into it..