Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #81
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

The freedom to move about the country actually is a right, IIRC.

Of course, it would require a very big lawsuit, and the highest court in the land, in order to settle exactly what that means, precisely, and define how that affects motor travel, in particular...but one might argue that this IS the travel method of today, and that any restrictions on that might be, in fact, just cause for such a nice legal battle in the highest court.

In addition, the highest court is now stacked with conservatives, who, while they may posture, and talk about big government, and wave flags, and shit, are in fact quietly chipping away at the Constitution, and personal rights as if on a mission to destroy all...so how that battle might play out, is anyone's guess.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #82
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
The freedom to move about the country actually is a right, IIRC.

Of course, it would require a very big lawsuit, and the highest court in the land, in order to settle exactly what that means, precisely, and define how that affects motor travel, in particular...but one might argue that this IS the travel method of today, and that any restrictions on that might be, in fact, just cause for such a nice legal battle in the highest court.

In addition, the highest court is now stacked with conservatives, who, while they may posture, and talk about big government, and wave flags, and shit, are in fact quietly chipping away at the Constitution, and personal rights as if on a mission to destroy all...so how that battle might play out, is anyone's guess.
True on all counts. You'd have to do away with state licensing requirements and such (yeah, right) in order to really make any changes stick though.

My point was, however, that in the current environment, operation of a motor vehicle on public highways is not a right.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.

Last edited by Particle Man; 07-06-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #83
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post

My point was, however, that in the current environment, operation of a motor vehicle on public highways is not a right.
Exactly.

You may walk, (or ride a horse, I suppose, as long as you're not drunk) across state lines with no restrictions.

Making the operation of motor vehicles on public streets, a "right", would be a spectacularly bad idea.

People with drivers licenses can barely drive without fucking it up. As a motorcyclist, the last thing I need is a libertarian free for all on the highways.

JC
Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #84
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Sad to see people still throwing the "Driving is a privilege not a right" bullshit out there, but other than that this is a great thread.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #85
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Sad to see people still throwing the "Driving is a privilege not a right" bullshit out there, but other than that this is a great thread.
It's semantics.

Anyone who isn't blind or retarded can drive, until "they", prove otherwise.

You really want people with multiple DUI's, or zero training, sharing the road with you?

JC
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #86
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
It's semantics.

Anyone who isn't blind or retarded can drive, until "they", prove otherwise.

You really want people with multiple DUI's, or zero training, sharing the road with you?

JC
Do you really want murders or rapists using the same ATMs and shopping malls as you? No? Oh, well, I guess not living in prison is a privilege, not a right.

See what I'm saying? Rights can be taken away under the correct circumstances too.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #87
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, but for the moment, it's true.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #88
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Do you really want murders or rapists using the same ATMs and shopping malls as you? No? Oh, well, I guess not living in prison is a privilege, not a right.

See what I'm saying? Rights can be taken away under the correct circumstances too.
Actually, no, I don't.

"A privilege is a right or advantage gained by birth, social position, effort, or concession."

Key word here is effort. You make the effort to pass the driving test, you get a license. Seems fair enough.

When "jackbooted thugs" start kicking in doors and revoking licenses without due process, I'll start worrying about the distinction between a right and a privilege.

JC
Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #89
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Do people still wear jackboots/

Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #90
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Do people still wear jackboots/
I don't know.

Ask Homeslice.

JC