Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

You know I'd like to scoff at Kaneman's view on the matter, but the other day down here one of those freak cop incidents happened and the guy who was actually the victim and got hit was arrested and taken to jail for supposedly having a suspended license.

Poor dude had never even had a parking ticket. I'm sure there's more to it, but from the story I got he was bent over the hood, in cuffs on the side of the road. In military uniform no less. For a freaking SUSPENDED DL!! It's not like he was a crazed loony running people off the road or something.

Given no opportunity to call someone to come get him and the car, just arrested and taken immediately to jail.

Even in the city I work for where the cops have a bad rap (they really are good guys, college students just hate them) offenders are ticketed, but allowed to have someone come get them.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Fuck that, why risk dealing with the insurance company? Im not afraid of cops, they generally leave me alone nowadays, and dont raise my rates everytime I fart.
If there is no damage why is he having to deal with an insurance company? If repair is required then yes, by all means, call the pigs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I'd press charges, it's a hit and run with a witness. Fucking people need to learn you don't get to fuck up other people's property without being called on it. By doing nothing you are sending the message it's ok.
He's not the girl's parent, he's not going to change the way she thinks and acts. If there is no damage he is only putting himself at more risk by calling the police.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
shmike
Follower

Quote:
I'd press charges, it's a hit and run with a witness. Fucking people need to learn you don't get to fuck up other people's property without being called on it. By doing nothing you are sending the message it's ok.

A hit and run?

The car is parked in the spot right next to him.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
A hit and run?

The car is parked in the spot right next to him.
Dude, SHE left. She's an idiot - but she left.

A situation like this is perfect for the non-emergency line. Take a shit-ton of pictures, and call.

I stopped someone in a parking lot a few months ago after seeing them hit someone else's truck then trying to drive off. The manager of the store got the other driver and they figured it out. The one that hit the truck was PISSED that she was caught - she was cussing me out. Her argument was, someone once hit her and left - so she could do the same. It was a backward pay-it-forward idea.

Small damage or not - it's damage. YOU shouldn't have to pay for what she did to your vehicle.

I freakin' hate people.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
If there is no damage why is he having to deal with an insurance company? If repair is required then yes, by all means, call the pigs out.

He's not the girl's parent, he's not going to change the way she thinks and acts. If there is no damage he is only putting himself at more risk by calling the police.
First post says damage.

What "risk" do you speak of??

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
First post says damage.

What "risk" do you speak of??
The risk that comes with dealing with armed men of authority.

It says "Barely any damage at all." Granted, I guess that does mean there is some measurable amount of damage, but I don't think its worth dealing with Law Enforcement over a scratch.

Still not quite as bad as calling the fire dept. to unlock your house though.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #17
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Dude, SHE left. She's an idiot - but she left.

A situation like this is perfect for the non-emergency line. Take a shit-ton of pictures, and call.

I stopped someone in a parking lot a few months ago after seeing them hit someone else's truck then trying to drive off. The manager of the store got the other driver and they figured it out. The one that hit the truck was PISSED that she was caught - she was cussing me out. Her argument was, someone once hit her and left - so she could do the same. It was a backward pay-it-forward idea.

Small damage or not - it's damage. YOU shouldn't have to pay for what she did to your vehicle.

I freakin' hate people.
I agree, I was just chuckling to myself about her hit and run taking her 6 feet away.

I totally agree with your post above. I actually had it happen to me about a month ago.

Some douchebag in a Toyota Highlander was unable to successfully back out of their parking spot and I have a dented driver's door to show for it. They took off and now I am out of pocket to have it fixed.

I wish there were someone like you around to have said something to them or gotten a tag number.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
The risk that comes with dealing with armed men of authority.

It says "Barely any damage at all." Granted, I guess that does mean there is some measurable amount of damage, but I don't think its worth dealing with Law Enforcement over a scratch.

Still not quite as bad as calling the fire dept. to unlock your house though.
Um, ok. I am so ever curious over the things that have happened in your life to have the extreme distrust of law enforcement. I get it, there is a high douche-bag quotient among those wearing a badge. I was married to one of them. But, wow.

I believe that we, as a society, have an obligation to hold those around us to the bar. You know, that it shouldn't take a law to make someone realize their behavior is wrong. It's just we have seemingly gotten so far away from that, that laws need to be used. Maybe if people were held to them more often they wouldn't need to be USED as often.

I know, wishful thinking.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Um, ok. I am so ever curious over the things that have happened in your life to have the extreme distrust of law enforcement. I get it, there is a high douche-bag quotient among those wearing a badge. I was married to one of them. But, wow.

I believe that we, as a society, have an obligation to hold those around us to the bar. You know, that it shouldn't take a law to make someone realize their behavior is wrong. It's just we have seemingly gotten so far away from that, that laws need to be used. Maybe if people were held to them more often they wouldn't need to be USED as often.

I know, wishful thinking.
She's not going to realize her behavior is wrong, she's just going to keep on being a thoughtless, selfish, bitch until the day she dies. So if it won't benefit Triple to call the police, there is no other reason to do so. Calling the police at that point amounts to being a tattle-tale.

You said it yourself, there is a high douche-bag quotient among badge wearers and you're taking a risk anytime you have a voluntary encounter with them, so you have to weigh the benefits. If his vehicle is damaged, requires repair or something then yea, of course...get a police report. But his posts indicate he's not really worried about what seems to be some very minor cosmetic damage.

Its a risk vs. reward situation IMO. If I had a $260,000 Mercedes and someone bumped it, scratched it then it could be a different situation. Doesn't sound like a big deal though.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i've had mine nailed three times in parking lots. twice I was in it when it got smacked. yep got the dimples in my bumper as well. front plate is bent up from them. etc.

no call to police. I reluctantly agree with Kaneman on this one. not worth dealing with the cops that show up. around here they won't even come out if it isn't $1000 worth of damage. private prop is usually left as a 50/50 split ins wise and no tickets.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote