Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

WTF sort of 'risk' is there in calling the cops if someone hit your car? I mean, do you have a trunk full of narcotics? Have you been drinking? WTF?

Jesus christ, you people need to stop reading news stories about police abuse and get real.

How many of you have been abused by the police? I'm not saying, met a cop that was a dick, I mean been physically harmed, falsely imprisoned, etc, etc... I venture to guess never. How many know someone directly who has had that experience? I'm gonna guess nobody.

I've probably had 100 interactions with police in my lifetime... NEVER once have I been abused like everyone is so paranoid about... I have never met ANYONE that has had some of these experiences that would warrant 'not taking the risk of calling the cops.' And further, in EVERY case that someone I've talked directly to has claimed to have one of these experiences, as the story is described it's OBVIOUS that they were in the wrong.

Not calling the cops in a situation like this for some sort of 'risk' or fear... or even 'not to have to deal with them' is even less rational than saying you refuse to take showers any longer because you could slip, fall, and die in the bath tub. I mean, statistically it's more likely.

I mean, it's one thing to say, "well the damage isn't much, I don't care, my car's a POS anyway", but to avoid the police? That's INSANE.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #22
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
How many of you have been abused by the police? I'm not saying, met a cop that was a dick, I mean been physically harmed, falsely imprisoned, etc, etc... I venture to guess never. How many know someone directly who has had that experience? I'm gonna guess nobody.
Well, obviously, I have. Two of my closest friends of over 15 years have been brutally (when I say brutal I mean broken face bones) beaten by law enforcement. It happens more than it should. My personal distrust of law enforcement comes mainly from a period of 3 years that I worked as an EMT and Volunteer FF. Behind the scenes is where I saw their true colors, how they really think, rationalize, operate, etc. etc. During that time I also did around a dozen 8-12 hour ride alongs. They do some scary shit out there, every day. And I don't mean scary like they put their lives on the line to protect the public, I mean scary like I don't think some of these guys have ever even heard of the Constitution.

ALL that being said, I'm not afraid of or disrespectful to police officers and would certainly call them for a police report if someone caused significant damage to my vehicle. But nothing good can come of NEEDLESSLY involving police officers in a situation.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #23
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Well, obviously, I have. Two of my closest friends of over 15 years have been brutally (when I say brutal I mean broken face bones) beaten by law enforcement. It happens more than it should. My personal distrust of law enforcement comes mainly from a period of 3 years that I worked as an EMT and Volunteer FF. Behind the scenes is where I saw their true colors, how they really think, rationalize, operate, etc. etc. During that time I also did around a dozen 8-12 hour ride alongs. They do some scary shit out there, every day. And I don't mean scary like they put their lives on the line to protect the public, I mean scary like I don't think some of these guys have ever even heard of the Constitution.

ALL that being said, I'm not afraid of or disrespectful to police officers and would certainly call them for a police report if someone caused significant damage to my vehicle. But nothing good can come of NEEDLESSLY involving police officers in a situation.
I'm interested in hearing the rest of the story about your friends...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #24
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I'm interested in hearing the rest of the story about your friends...
In 2002 my buddy, we'll call him John, got drunk at a billiards place in North Richland Hills (in between FW and Dallas). He was too drunk to drive and decided to sleep it off in his car. A policeman and policewoman approached the vehicle, the guy reached in the driver's window and shoved John by the neck while he was sleeping. John came to, very confused, and flinched. The cop struck him 23 times in the face and neck, drug him out of the car and kicked him a little, then arrested him for P.I. He broke John's jaw and orbital bone, tore his ear and broke a couple of teeth.

Other cops showed up on the scene and began the cover up. My buddy got a lawyer with a plan to sue the city/police. The female officer who was there actually sent my buddy's lawyer the DASHCAM video that showed everything. I've seen it, I'm not exaggerating the brutality to prove a point. The female officer also indicated that the offending officer was known for "that type of behavior"

John's lawyer actually ended up helping the city sweep it under the rug and despite the video evidence John ended up getting nothing. He was 17 or 18 at the time and took the lawyer's word that everything was ok. The lawyer was in with the D.A. or whoever, to make sure nothing came of it. Its not a conspiracy theory, its the way things work in many cities and not every act of police brutality makes the news.

The other story isn't as dramatic. Local small town PD pulled over a my best friend, whom they had arrested two times on speeding ticket warrants, they pulled him out of the car to talk to him and basically tripped him into the curb knocking two teeth out. He wasn't drinking, he wasn't charged with anything or written a ticket...they were just getting a kick out of manhandling him.

For my part, I've never been manhandled or struck by a cop. Two local PD units disassembled the interior of my vehicle after bullying their way into a search. Left me on the side of the road with my seats and dash sitting in the rain culvert. I didn't have so much as a nude magazine on me.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 12-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I've met azzhole cops but NEVER had any of these issues that are described here.

I obviously don't have the same view of the leo as Kane and a few others seem to.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Kaneman is a pussy? I never knew. Scared of the cops when he hasn't done anything wrong? Won't call them because it's a risk?

When did you start wearing a tinfoil hat and panties??
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
She's not going to realize her behavior is wrong, she's just going to keep on being a thoughtless, selfish, bitch until the day she dies. So if it won't benefit Triple to call the police, there is no other reason to do so. Calling the police at that point amounts to being a tattle-tale.

You said it yourself, there is a high douche-bag quotient among badge wearers and you're taking a risk anytime you have a voluntary encounter with them, so you have to weigh the benefits. If his vehicle is damaged, requires repair or something then yea, of course...get a police report. But his posts indicate he's not really worried about what seems to be some very minor cosmetic damage.

Its a risk vs. reward situation IMO. If I had a $260,000 Mercedes and someone bumped it, scratched it then it could be a different situation. Doesn't sound like a big deal though.
No matter if she realizes it or not. She did something wrong, and something must be done. It's not that she hit the truck, shit happens. It's that she tried to get away with it, which you're condoning.

No damage, so who cares? Fuck that. You so much as scratch my belongings and I'll find a way to make you pay so they've been brought back to pre-scratch condition.

That's the law of the world. You damage somebody else's property then you must fix it. Every backwards ass third world country has that basic law...
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #28
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I don't have stories as severe as Kaneman's, but I've been threatened with arrest for non-crimes and an ex-girlfriend was handcuffed and detained in a patrol car for doing less than 10 mph over, even with a valid license and insurance. Both by the same prick small-town police department, naturally.

I do have friends and family who are law enforcement officers, however, so I hear what they do to others. My stepbrother "entertains" us with stories of his department's use of excessive force on a pretty regular basis. Knocking guys out, hitting guys (and girls) already in handcuffs, drawing weapons on people who are already literally pissing their pants, intentionally detaining people at traffic stops solely because they say they're in a hurry, etc.

You know, I think I may let this whole parking-lot incident go after all...
They can threaten and charge you with anything. If they don't have the evidence to support it, then too fucking bad for them.

They could technically charge you with rape if they felt like it for running a stop sign. That doesn't mean you'll go to jail for rape..
Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #29
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Kaneman is a pussy? I never knew. Scared of the cops when he hasn't done anything wrong? Won't call them because it's a risk?

When did you start wearing a tinfoil hat and panties??
From my point of a view a pussy is someone who needs to call in armed men to deal with a very minor traffic incident. A man can handle this incident without police intervention. A pussy cries over a minor scratch on a truck bumper.

Quote:
No matter if she realizes it or not. She did something wrong, and something must be done. It's not that she hit the truck, shit happens. It's that she tried to get away with it, which you're condoning.

No damage, so who cares? Fuck that. You so much as scratch my belongings and I'll find a way to make you pay so they've been brought back to pre-scratch condition.

That's the law of the world. You damage somebody else's property then you must fix it. Every backwards ass third world country has that basic law...
Yea I get it, she basically didn't even acknowledge she did something wrong. Didn't even look at it. She's a shithead. I'm not condoning it. I'm not saying I would do it, I'm not saying its right. I'm saying, to me, its not worth involving the police and/or insurance companies over. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Triple, post a picture of the damage....

Quote:
They can threaten and charge you with anything. If they don't have the evidence to support it, then too fucking bad for them.

They could technically charge you with rape if they felt like it for running a stop sign. That doesn't mean you'll go to jail for rape..
That's just not true at all, and I suspect you are probably aware of that.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:

That's just not true at all, and I suspect you are probably aware of that.
This is very true. What planet do you live on? They can levy any charge they see fit. It doesn't mean it will stick. But, they can charge you with absolutely anything at anytime.
A real man also knows that when he can't do anything, which you or I can't with a hit an run. Then you call the people you pay to take care of it. Like a Paramedic perhaps?

You really are in a losing argument here.. The right thing to do is call the police, file a report and let your insurance take care of it. You may disagree, but that just makes you wrong.