Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #41
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maygin View Post
I meant a real explanation. Like diff in weights, protection, price (if any). Stuff like that. I know what the materials are by themselves and can pretty much gather my own conclusion to some extent, but I'm playing newb. And like I said, this thread could later be used by other people who may not make clothes for extra cash on the side.
Totally depends on the brand. I think typically mesh will be least expensive, textile in the middle, and leather the most expensive, but it's going to depends on the brand, and the armour.

Mesh is super light weight, and actually so is textile (I actually think my textile is more comfortable than either of my meshies in that regard). Leather is heavier, and will vary GREATLY from one line to the next. My Joe Rocket leather was glove soft the day I got it, whereas Chris' A*'s leahter was really stiff and needed a lot of breaking in.

Quote:
Like that! lol Does the difference in leather offer difference in protection?

Mesh will only protect in the areas where the guards are, I would imagine? Textile similar to mesh, but with more in the way of protection from road rash. If you slide far enough, though, it will eventually wear through, right?
Yeah, apparently roo and stingray are supposed to be tougher, and more resilient in a slide.

Mesh will protect to some degree all over, but mainly the armoured areas. There've actually been people who claim mesh will melt and fuse with the flesh because it heats up in a long slide on asphalt, but I don't know how true that is, or how often it happens.

My rule of thumb is this: if I'm just commuting to work, my lil 12 mile commute where I'm not riding like a bat out of hell, and it's 90000 degrees out, I'm wearing mesh. On the other hand, if I know I'm going on a long sunday ride where I'll be riding HARD, then I might think twice and opt for something more protective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I wear my Cortech textile in 95+ but we also don't have the humidity that you do. Also some companies like Teknic use goat hide for some of their leather products.
WOW.... nope, no can do here. 80 is really about the limit and mine has LOTS of vents.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #42
Mistress Maygin
Megatron

Moto: Nothing yet, but hoping for something soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Totally depends on the brand. I think typically mesh will be least expensive, textile in the middle, and leather the most expensive, but it's going to depends on the brand, and the armour.

Mesh is super light weight, and actually so is textile (I actually think my textile is more comfortable than either of my meshies in that regard). Leather is heavier, and will vary GREATLY from one line to the next. My Joe Rocket leather was glove soft the day I got it, whereas Chris' A*'s leahter was really stiff and needed a lot of breaking in.

Yeah, apparently roo and stingray are supposed to be tougher, and more resilient in a slide.

Mesh will protect to some degree all over, but mainly the armoured areas. There've actually been people who claim mesh will melt and fuse with the flesh because it heats up in a long slide on asphalt, but I don't know how true that is, or how often it happens.

My rule of thumb is this: if I'm just commuting to work, my lil 12 mile commute where I'm not riding like a bat out of hell, and it's 90000 degrees out, I'm wearing mesh. On the other hand, if I know I'm going on a long sunday ride where I'll be riding HARD, then I might think twice and opt for something more protective.
Yeah. I'm worried about the heat, I admit. I mentioned that to the CG guy and he said something that did make some sense. Something along the lines of, no matter what you wear, you're sitting with an engine between your legs and you're going to be hot no matter what. Might as well be protected, too. Or something?
So lovely, it feels so right

I want to hold you close
Soft breath, beating heart
As I whisper in your ear
I want to fucking tear you apart
Mistress Maygin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #43
neebelung

Quote:
Yeah. I'm worried about the heat, I admit. I mentioned that to the CG guy and he said something that did make some sense. Something along the lines of, no matter what you wear, you're sitting with an engine between your legs and you're going to be hot no matter what. Might as well be protected, too. Or something?
when you're sitting, yeah, but when you're moving, your body stays cooler in something that breathes, be it mesh, or vents.

You could always start with a well vented textile for your first jacket, and then if it becomes too hot to bear, look into adding a meshie later. You're going to eventually build a gear wardrobe.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #44
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:

WOW.... nope, no can do here. 80 is really about the limit and mine has LOTS of vents.
So does mine.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #45
Mistress Maygin
Megatron

Quote:
when you're sitting, yeah, but when you're moving, your body stays cooler in something that breathes, be it mesh, or vents.

You could always start with a well vented textile for your first jacket, and then if it becomes too hot to bear, look into adding a meshie later. You're going to eventually build a gear wardrobe.
Some planning involved here. If I'm not going to have the best protection, I'll have to make sure I don't do any serious riding. Like no long trips, or high speeds, etc. I can do that....

I want to hold you close
As I whisper in your ear
Old 03-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #46
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Some planning involved here. If I'm not going to have the best protection, I'll have to make sure I don't do any serious riding. Like no long trips, or high speeds, etc. I can do that....
You can wreck 100 feet from your house. I wear all of my gear all the time. I don't make considerations depending on the type/length of ride. The only exception is I don't wear my race style boots to work, but this season I plan on doing so.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #47
neebelung

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong - good textile DOES provide good protection. There's a company called Aerostitch that makes these really nice once piece textile suits intended for touring. You'll see people put 10's of thousands of miles on those, which I don't think they'd do if they weren't adequately protected. But you will want to invest in leather eventually, too.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #48
Mistress Maygin
Megatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You can wreck 100 feet from your house. I wear all of my gear all the time. I don't make considerations depending on the type/length of ride. The only exception is I don't wear my race style boots to work, but this season I plan on doing so.
Oh I know. But there is a big difference between wrecking on the highway at 80, and on a side road going 30. That's what I mean. I would always wear my helmet and gloves, this is really just about a jacket. But this may all change depending on what I can find that even fits!

Quote:
Oh don't get me wrong - good textile DOES provide good protection. There's a company called Aerostitch that makes these really nice once piece textile suits intended for touring. You'll see people put 10's of thousands of miles on those, which I don't think they'd do if they weren't adequately protected. But you will want to invest in leather eventually, too.
Yeah, I'll get leather for sure. But it's just an unsafe to pass out on your bike from heat exhaustion, so I don't think I can wear leather all the time. I'll prolly only go as "low" as textile with vents though. For some reason mesh just doesnt sit right with me. no idea why, though.

I want to hold you close
As I whisper in your ear
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #49
neebelung

Quote:
For some reason mesh just doesnt sit right with me. no idea why, though.
A lot of people don't like it, and some people ONLY wear it. Get what fits you well and makes you feel confident and safe.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #50
Mistress Maygin
Megatron

Quote:
A lot of people don't like it, and some people ONLY wear it. Get what fits you well and makes you feel confident and safe.
If i had one of these I wouldn't have to worry about falling off.

I want to hold you close
As I whisper in your ear