Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Part-time Saddle Tramp

(much of this will be copied from my blog, and posted on multiple forms)

I find at the ripe old age of 31, the thing I look forward to the most, the thing that motivates me day in and out, that gets me excited, like a christmas eve night kinda excited is road trips. *I don't know when this obsession with travel came about, maybe it's always been there. *I don't remember ever disliking travel, but I do remember when it wasn't a priority in my life like it is today. *These days I'll sacrifice nights out, eating out, to enjoy time on the road. *it's not that I've become reclusive, or that I'm trying to escape, no it's more about freedom. *Doing what I want, when I want, how I want. *As odd as this may sound, road trips are when I feel like an adult. *I'm able to choose when I sleep, when I eat, when I stop, when I push on. *I have come to realize that much of my daily life is controlled and I cater to someone else's opinion as to when I should sleep, eat, go, stay, say, think. *Now I know much of this is due to being in the Military, and I know I signed up for it. *I know that I could very easily get out and go about my life ideal, but see, I'm sacrificing even now for travel. *See my goal is in 10 or so years, I will retire from the military with full retirement and live off the pension, traveling the world. *To spend not days or even weeks on the road destine to come home and start work Monday morning, but to spend YEARS on the road. *I want to soak in the culture I'm traveling through, not just the touristy areas or "safe" spots. *I want to see the WORLD, in all it's terrifying glory.

This is what drew me to motorcycles. *See in a car, on a plane, a ship, train, or whatever you're isolated from the culture and environment you're traveling through. *On a bike, you are submersed for better or worse, in the world you're riding through. *If it's hot, you're hot, if it's cold, you're cold, if it stinks, you smell it. *While they may be considered inconveniences and undesirable features of being on a motorcycle, they are, required in my opinion to really say "you've been there". * I mean the point of these trips are for memories, so what's more memorable, looking back on driving through Colorado with the heater on full blast looking at snow? or Riding and picking icicles out of your eyebrows (ok so I have thick eyebrows).

I just want to see this world, from a point of view of MY choosing.

Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote