Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
Default Got some insider info...yet to prove it myself.

It involves computers from a '08 and '09 R6, and swapping them. The one to benefit is the '09 R6 by having the '08 computer in it. This guy I know who owns a shop has a buddy that works for Graves and he leaked the swap news to him. So the shop owner had a guy with a '09 R6, ran it on the dyno, came in at 99rwhp. Simply put the '08 computer in and it came in at 105rwhp. A gain of 6.6 hp at the wheel!

So...long story short, I know another guy who runs a dealership and has this '08 R6 that they're pretty much never gonna sell (long story). it has 850 miles on it. So me, being persistent when it comes to hp gains (especially when they're free), popped the question about him letting me swap the '08 for my '09. He says yes! Sweet. Just got home from doing the swap, started the bike up and runs fine. I'll be riding it to work tomorrow to see if I notice anything. I should notice a little bit with a 6 hp increase, I'm not expecting anything significant, but it should be something.

Turns out Yamaha detuned the '09s because of people dying on motorcycles. I'll let you guys know if there's a difference tomorrow.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Turns out Yamaha detuned the '09s because of people dying on motorcycles. I'll let you guys know if there's a difference tomorrow.

I am in no way doubting that a PCM swap won't increase power, but this being the reasoning seems absurd. Who at Yamaha thought that such a small detune would save lives? Sportbikes and saving lives can't be on the same side.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
I am in no way doubting that a PCM swap won't increase power, but this being the reasoning seems absurd. Who at Yamaha thought that such a small detune would save lives? Sportbikes and saving lives can't be on the same side.
I hear ya.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
So the shop owner had a guy with a '09 R6, ran it on the dyno, came in at 99rwhp. Simply put the '08 computer in and it came in at 105rwhp. A gain of 6.6 hp at the wheel!
Really? They are that low on horsepower? My 04 ZX6RR has 104. I thought mine was low compared to the new ones. I guess not.

As far as detuning them for safety. OK, it's similar to the govorner on a car but still. It is the responsibility of the person twisting the throttle.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Really? They are that low on horsepower? My 04 ZX6RR has 104. I thought mine was low compared to the new ones. I guess not.

As far as detuning them for safety. OK, it's similar to the govorner on a car but still. It is the responsibility of the person twisting the throttle.
Dynos are different everywhere. it may be higher on the dyno that you took the Kawi to.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Ah yes. I forgot about the calibration of them factoring into the numbers. Even still that seems low.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Ah yes. I forgot about the calibration of them factoring into the numbers. Even still that seems low.
That's what I'm chocking it up to, dynos being different. The powerband still pulls like mad!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Makes sense. Everything I've read says the 09's are down on power from last year.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

Make sure you check the a/f ratio. You might have more top end but you could have a flat spot somewhere in the power band. Watch your torque curve as well. It may be a little more peaky than the stock setup.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Interesting good score bro.

Retarded reasoning on yami's part if that's true.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote