Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default Fork spring question

i think the fork springs on my priller are prety much shot and am looking ot replace them. Several friends have recommended sonic springs. Now I contacted sonic directly to see if they have springs for the futura. They said they have springs for the falco, and I would look to see if theyre the same length. They are both 43mm showa forks. Now on the af1 microfiche thye have different part #s but then I looked on race techs site and mostof the aprilia's have the same series # including hte futura, falco, tuono and millie so I dont know if race tech just cuts them for the proper length.

I posted on the af1 forum but havent gotten any response, and figured there ar eplenty of knowledgable folks here who may be able to lend some info.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I think it's pretty rare for springs to go "bad"............Think about the fact that most car owners never replace them. Maybe the fork oil needs changing, or maybe you blew the seals.

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-16-2009 at 09:08 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I think it's pretty rare for springs to go "bad"............Think about the fact that most car owners never replace them.

How much do you weigh? Usually the only reason to replace the springs is if you're too heavy for the stock ones, but if you can still acheive the correct amount of sag, then the springs are OK. You might want to try using thicker fork oil first......It will firm up the bike without costing as much.
I am around 260 in regular clothes. I did have a rear spring wear out on my TL (too many squiddly stoppies helped do that it LOL)

The front started feeling much more squishy the last few months, I had the seals replaced just before the rally and its been progressiveley worsening even before that. its fine for regular riding/commuting but spirited riding gets a bit sketchy. I turned the preload down to 2 lines showing and it was a little better but after this weekends ride I noticed it bottomed out again. I will turn it down the rest of the way and see.

I think the heavier springs will be the way to go anyway sinceI am a little above what an average rider weights I am prety sure the shop put in heavier fork oil too since they know I use it in the bike in the backroads a lot.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

You probably need stiffer springs, but you probably also need the forks serviced.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote