Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #121
AquaPython
put it THIS way

not really apoc.

you chose to purchase beef, you are buying corn. you chose to purchase chicken, you are buying corn. lots of things you would think have nothing to do with corn, are corn. it is not someone setting out to say , hey i want to go to the grocery and buy some corn-made products.

It is all behind the scenes. and for good reason.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #122
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Nobody is forcing anyone to eat that much corn product. Its being bought hand over fist by personal choice. The problem isnt with corn, the problem is with not caring. Its mass produced BECAUSE theres such a demand for it.

Im yet to find a grocery store that doesnt give me other options. If the average person is too dumb to educate themselves, then good. Maybe they'll die off quickly and they will become extinct. (I know, I know, no chance. But I can dream)
Nobody is literally forcing them to eat the stuff at gun point under threat of violence, yes, that is correct. However, the market is completely saturated with these types of products.

Look, I don't disagree with what you're saying, but you have to work under the assumption that the average American is an uncaring idiot and go from there. You can't trust these people to adequately provide for themselves and their families and our population is becoming more and more unhealthy destroying our medical system in the process.

So, maybe instead of letting our government subsidize corn and devoting such a huge percentage of our actual land mass to growing corn we can do something else like providing incentives to farmers who want to grow broccoli or allow their livestock/poultry/pigs to graze freely, or so on and so forth.

There is a better way of producing food in the U.S.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #123
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
not really apoc.

you chose to purchase beef, you are buying corn. you chose to purchase chicken, you are buying corn. lots of things you would think have nothing to do with corn, are corn. it is not someone setting out to say , hey i want to go to the grocery and buy some corn-made products.

Apoc is right, aquapython is wrong.

Beef is beef.

Chicken is chicken.

What those animals were fed is a different argument.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #124
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Apoc is right, aquapython is wrong.

Beef is beef.

Chicken is chicken.

What those animals were fed is a different argument.
When the product in question (corn) is making the animals you're eating (beef) sick and unhealthy to the point of near death before you eat them, then I argue what those animals were fed is actually a very significant part of the same argument, and not a different argument as you are saying.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #125
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
When the product in question (corn) is making the animals you're eating (beef) sick and unhealthy to the point of near death before you eat them, then I argue what those animals were fed is actually a very significant part of the same argument, and not a different argument as you are saying.
I posted about the side effects of a corn diet pages ago. I don't think there is any debate on that part of the discussion.

Telling someone that their t-bone is "corn" is just a little misleading.

The point of this discussion is to clear confusion not add to it.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #126
AquaPython
put it THIS way

shmike is wrong because i have decreed in it multi-line spacing argument.

I should clarify, though. When i say you are eating corn, by eating beef, it is a function of the food chain. have you ever heard the phrase "you are what you eat" ? this phrase is not so far from the truth.

Kaneman mentioned before that "old school" corn was better he was right. There used to be a WIDE variety of corn species up until around the 1930's. Most of this corn was an amazing produce. Very high in essential vitamins , minerals , nutrients, etc. This is why ancient native american cultures praised and even prayed to / about corn or "Maize" (sp?). However, as farming became industrial, and the country looked for ways to feed itself, and avoid starving epidemics like what happened in the great depression and the dust bowl, America started to turn to corn. The corn strain that was eventually singled out the favored seed, was a corn that was pretty much nutritionally garbage, unbeknown to farmers and the like. It's saving grace was that it was able to grow VERY close to itself. Meaning tightly packed corn stalks, meaning MORE food per Square Acre.
This Strain became the dominant strain of corn, and basically lead to the extinction of all of the other types of corn that used to be around.

So now fast forward to today, you have all of these cattle in pens eating nothing but bullshit corn. Compare a piece of Beef now from one of these cows to a piece of Beef from a natural, grass eating, range roaming cow. I don't remember off hand the exact numbers but paraphrasing, the "modern" beef has 70% less protein and 250% more fat.

now, factor in other things from these processed animals, such as the hormones and chemicals used to make the cows larger and "healthier". The chemicals such as phosphorous and nitrogen that they literally inject the earth with so that the corn grows larger, and closer together (4 times more corn can be grown on the same land now as compared to 50 years ago). The disgusting living conditions leading to massive amounts of pathogens in the food. Have you noticed the increasing amounts of meat recalls, and poisonings over the last decade?
The whole system is fucked.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #127
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
not really apoc.

In case you didnt know, what they were fed does not change the micro and macro nutritional value of the meat. Your not going to find HFCS in your meat because the cow your eating had some corn in its diet. I dont understand what your arguement is? The meat might be a little fatter if it was overfed, but thats why you buy leaner cuts.

Is it that im supporting the production of corn by buying meat that is corn fed? In that sense, I dont care. Just like I dont care if the pork I eat had a small baby for its last meal. As long as its still yummy, it really doesnt effect me.

I know i'll get 'oh, the cows are fed drugs to keep them healthy.' But I dont care about that either. None of that directly affects me, no matter what people are force feeding down your throat. The steroids they are given, are just increased amounts of normal hormones within their body, nothing that isnt already found in them. This gives us bigger, stronger, better beef. It doesnt make the meat any worse for you, in any way.

I still say that the problem of obesity lies directly on the person who is obese. If your three hundred pounds over fucking weight, and have no ambition to educate yourself, and lose weight, then quite frankly, fuck ya, I hope the massive heart attack comes sooner than later.

The only way that less corn will be produced and other, is if you guys as a society, stop buying so much of it in product, not in corn fed product.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #128
shmike
Follower

And now Apoc is wrong.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #129
AquaPython
put it THIS way

actually it quite significantly effects the nutritional value of the meat, as i posted just before you.

again, do some research on this stuff before you post up what you THINK is true or untrue.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #130
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:

So now fast forward to today, you have all of these cattle in pens eating nothing but bullshit corn. Compare a piece of Beef now from one of these cows to a piece of Beef from a natural, grass eating, range roaming cow. I don't remember off hand the exact numbers but paraphrasing, the "modern" beef has 70% less protein and 250% more fat.
Hahahahaha, no, there is not 70% less protein in meat, and 250% more fat today than before. Thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. The genetic makeup of meat doesnt change because of corn. The amount of protein in an ounce of lean beef is still the same as it was 40 years ago, and 400 years ago.

You guys are living on a shit ton of myths with no basis behind them. Hearsay and foolishness.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote