Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

No exam that I know of. I'm a photog. I dont know what kind of test I can take to prove that... Thats why I have a demo tape. My pay now sucks. And I work weekends. And holidays. And I never see my wife. While not nearly as exciting...the state gig would be ALOT more money, 9-5 Monday through Friday and holidays off. Not to mention the state beni's.

That being said...I'd rather stay where I'm at...if I was monday through friday.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #22
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
No exam that I know of. I'm a photog. I dont know what kind of test I can take to prove that... Thats why I have a demo tape. My pay now sucks. And I work weekends. And holidays. And I never see my wife. While not nearly as exciting...the state gig would be ALOT more money, 9-5 Monday through Friday and holidays off. Not to mention the state beni's.

That being said...I'd rather stay where I'm at...if I was monday through friday.
Here, from what I understand, a civil service exam of some sort is required in order to be considered for any state employment.

As much as I loved my old job, the pay wasn't exactly the best but the benefits were good. I had considered in the past applying at their competitor's because the pay was a little better, although I don't know much about their benefits. I just put in an online app (the only way you can apply for the job) so hopefully I'll hear something back from them. I mean, how many licensed operators could there be in this town trying to get the position? The old job trained you. This one wants someone who's already been trained and licensed. Hell, I had been in the security industry for a few years before I knew about the trainining and licesning. Not to mention that there was actually a monitoring center or two in town. Imagine my surprise!

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #23
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Here, from what I understand, a civil service exam of some sort is required in order to be considered for any state employment.

As much as I loved my old job, the pay wasn't exactly the best but the benefits were good. I had considered in the past applying at their competitor's because the pay was a little better, although I don't know much about their benefits. I just put in an online app (the only way you can apply for the job) so hopefully I'll hear something back from them. I mean, how many licensed operators could there be in this town trying to get the position? The old job trained you. This one wants someone who's already been trained and licensed. Hell, I had been in the security industry for a few years before I knew about the trainining and licesning. Not to mention that there was actually a monitoring center or two in town. Imagine my surprise!
The problem here is I really like my job. But the industry is changing. Everything is changing. I've never wanted to do this forever...but I'm not ready to leave yet. But at the same time...I need to pay the bills. At the time of the lay offs...anyone who didnt lose their job took a 4% pay cut...along with no OT...I'm down almost 15% of what I made last year.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #24
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
The problem here is I really like my job. But the industry is changing. Everything is changing. I've never wanted to do this forever...but I'm not ready to leave yet. But at the same time...I need to pay the bills. At the time of the lay offs...anyone who didnt lose their job took a 4% pay cut...along with no OT...I'm down almost 15% of what I made last year.
I got into this industry by accident, in a sense, and I've grown to love it. There's so much more to it that I want to learn! So if possible, I'll continue in this field. And the plus is, as long as there's thieves, fires, and mandated fire codes, there's always a possibility for a job in it. It's almost one of those "who you know" type jobs as they typically hire from the inside. It's hard for someone to start in this field, be it as an installer or an operator, without knowing someone.

That sucks about your pay cut. And it's sad to see how many people are getting laid off lately. Knowing that makes job hunting even more nerve wracking.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #25
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnyce View Post
well

5k and it keeps on keepin on

actually you were number 4999
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #26
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

well I'm almost done... I'll pack everything tomorrow... and head out monday morning around 5am. think'n I'll hit Fargo around Wednight or thursday morn.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #27
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
well I'm almost done... I'll pack everything tomorrow... and head out monday morning around 5am. think'n I'll hit Fargo around Wednight or thursday morn.
give me a shout you little bitch, I'll buy you a beer.

As for the job thing, I count myself lucky right now... I have to be one of the few people that has 2 good job offers available, and I just need to decide which one for sure I want to take.
It's a great problem to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #28
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I will... I'll be in town till Sunday morning...
Old 02-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #29
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
I will... I'll be in town till Sunday morning...
Sounds good. I have nothing going on next weekend either, so hit me up.

and you'll be happy to know that a vast majority of our snow is gone due to the few days of rain we had.
Further, the temps are supposed to be in the 20's all week... all in all not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #30
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote