Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #21
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Funny how the big ones sometimes are the easiest... I think it will be harder for me to get on a bike MONTHS after my little mini-bike incident than it was for me to hop on and ride 20 minutes after eating shit at 75MPH... Of course, the shattered kneecap helps...

That being said... I'm damn lucky everything happened the way it did. If I had crashed hard at 15MPH, I certainly wouldn't have learned my lesson... I thought I learned my lesson at 75MPH... Only I guess stupid didn't hurt enough then...

After tasting pavement at a higher rate of speed... I respected the road and most of it's variables... After annihilating my kneecap at low speed... I respected the first thing I should have been respecting the whole time... the fucking machine itself.

I think stickied is appropriate given the circumstances...
Very true, the worst injuries I have sustained from motorcycle accidents have been in the low speed ones, busted my knee (got me kicked out of the Army) and busted two ribs.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #22
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I bought a bike this summer and I have to admit I was tense on the thing all summer. I've never wrecked but my first husband was killed on a bike, and I think I have a real fear of something happening to me. Funny thing is I am not scared of my new husband riding..wierd huh?

Any ideas to get over it?
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #23
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
I bought a bike this summer and I have to admit I was tense on the thing all summer. I've never wrecked but my first husband was killed on a bike, and I think I have a real fear of something happening to me. Funny thing is I am not scared of my new husband riding..wierd huh?

Sorry for your previous loss, it appears that you are in fact on the right path, after such a tragic event, being able to get back on a bike is a MAJOR feat, just easing back into things, short rides to begin with, in less populated areas. Being alert is an understatement, but being afraid can be potentially hazardous for you
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #24
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post

Keep riding.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #25
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It's a little insane, but crashing is the biggest adrenaline rush you'll ever have a motorcycle.
Meh, not for me. If I can plot my trajectory, and know I'm not gonna hit anything, then it's just really tedium as I try not to sit on one spot for too long, as I'm sliding (when it gets too hot, move around a little).

My heart never races until after. I'm pretty graceful under pressure.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #26
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
My heart never races until after. I'm pretty graceful under pressure.
I would hope so, cause you ain't graceful any other time.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
miztress6
Street Stunter

Twice ...

The first one a constant struggle in my head.

Could I have hit the throttle harder bumped over to the middle lane in front of the car next to me to avoid the cruiser coming out of the median at me?

Should I have had better braking skills? Would I have had a enough room to come to a stop without planting on the hood?

Would he have backed up had a I not pulled a street luge?

I chose to grab a handful of brake as a police cruiser came out of a median break. 3 lanes of traffic on the opposite side 3 lanes on my side. I'm in the left lane an my gf about 2 -3 car lengths ahead of me. She shifted to the right side of the left land and hit the throttle. I saw the car closing in and I grabbed the brakes not to hard but as I closed in on the car I hit the rear harder. I felt the rear end start to come out and I closed my eyes and let go. As I hit the pavement I picked up my head and tucked my hands and feet as I heard my helmet skidding. I looked down the street in front of me and the cruiser was backing back into the center of the median. I stood up and chased my bike down the street.

I managed to make it to my bike the officer and his "ride along" helped block traffic for us to get our bikes to a parking lot and told us they had to answer a shots fired call and left me. No accident report. No call to the supervisor to send another squad.

I broke a critical rule I knew nothing about. After the crash if you are sliding and you think you have stopped count to at least 30 before you stand up. My knee is still suspect I tore my meniscus.

I also bit it in deals gap less than 3 weeks later wearing a knee brace riding way above my skill level. I came into a corner too hot in the rain and hit the paint. Chose the side rather than going over and dislocated my shoulder...(hey I rode down the mountain in the rain lol)

In my head I will always be a beginner. There are times I still catch my breath and hold. I ride with great people who are very understanding and they just wait at the turns while I take my time. I can't say enough for placing yourself in this type of support group...or living in FL its easier to ride straight and flat with no elevation change

Don't even ask about me flipping my quad off the mountain

Last edited by miztress6; 10-11-2010 at 08:57 PM..
miztress6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #28
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztress6 View Post
Twice ...

The first one a constant struggle in my head.

Could I have hit the throttle harder bumped over to the middle lane in front of the car next to me to avoid the cruiser coming out of the median at me?

Should I have had better braking skills? Would I have had a enough room to come to a stop without planting on the hood?

Would he have backed up had a I not pulled a street luge?

I chose to grab a handful of brake as a police cruiser came out of a median break. 3 lanes of traffic on the opposite side 3 lanes on my side. I'm in the left lane an my gf about 2 -3 car lengths ahead of me. She shifted to the right side of the left land and hit the throttle. I saw the car closing in and I grabbed the brakes not to hard but as I closed in on the car I hit the rear harder. I felt the rear end start to come out and I closed my eyes and let go. As I hit the pavement I picked up my head and tucked my hands and feet as I heard my helmet skidding. I looked down the street in front of me and the cruiser was backing back into the center of the median. I stood up and chased my bike down the street.

I managed to make it to my bike the officer and his "ride along" helped block traffic for us to get our bikes to a parking lot and told us they had to answer a shots fired call and left me. No accident report. No call to the supervisor to send another squad.

I broke a critical rule I knew nothing about. After the crash if you are sliding and you think you have stopped count to at least 30 before you stand up. My knee is still suspect I tore my meniscus.

I also bit it in deals gap less than 3 weeks later wearing a knee brace riding way above my skill level. I came into a corner too hot in the rain and hit the paint. Chose the side rather than going over and dislocated my shoulder...(hey I rode down the mountain in the rain lol)

In my head I will always be a beginner. There are times I still catch my breath and hold. I ride with great people who are very understanding and they just wait at the turns while I take my time. I can't say enough for placing yourself in this type of support group...or living in FL its easier to ride straight and flat with no elevation change

Don't even ask about me flipping my quad off the mountain
I hate paint

I'm curious how many folks get the time slowdown effect and if they can successfully use it to save themselves from crashing.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #29
The Awesome
Custom User Title

I crashed once, but it wasn't my fault. I only had 350 miles on my tires, so they weren't scrubbed in. Remember folks, an hour or so with fine grit sandpaper goes a long way in crash prevention!

Also gravel. ALWAYS watch for gravel.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #30
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
I crashed once, but it wasn't my fault. I only had 350 miles on my tires, so they weren't scrubbed in. Remember folks, an hour or so with fine grit sandpaper goes a long way in crash prevention!

Also gravel. ALWAYS watch for gravel.
Ditto on gravel
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote