Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #61
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

hey, I know all about the Gsxr bashing.....there is currently 3 Gsxrs in our garage

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #62
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Because you're being misled. As I stated, my female choc lab is much more likely to bite a human than my other two dogs.

"Family dog" is subjective and often refers to a dog who's lived its life in the back yard chained or otherwise without any formal training or structure. Also as previously stated, Pit Bulls attract scum. If you read the story you linked to you'll notice that the person in possession of the dog at the time of the incident was a friend of the owner....he was watching the dog because the owner was in jail. Puppies chew things, they should never be left alone with babies.

Golden Retrievers don't get those kind of headlines because the media isn't interested for the most part. But Goldens also have the luxury of having owners who tend to care more for their dogs than Pit Bull owners. Yes, Golden Retrievers bite people. However, just to prove the point:

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...-mauled-by-dog
Wow that's terrible! Of course, you know I'm going to say that the child was probably provoking the dog. Anyway, do you really want to get into a news story battle? If you think that you can find more GR attacks child than I can PB stories....and that's really nice, calling these people "scum" just because the guy got into trouble with the law. You don't know what he did. Besides, this was a puppy and it chewed a child's foot partially off. This wasn't some fucking shoe, bro. I doubt you're gonna find a story about a GR puppy chewing a baby's foot off!

The other thing I meant to mention about ZERO concern includes new people coming into to your house or a service worker or delivery man stepping into your yard. Zero concern? I have it. FYI we had a vicious dog when I was a kid and he bit at least 10 people that I remember. He also attacked a few dogs as well. I swore that I'd never own a dog that I had to worry about it biting anyone/anywhere. It always blows my mind when people have to put the dog away when I come to their house, why would you want to live like that?

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 09-12-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #63
quackPOT
Grand Master Fu

Moto: Ducati Multistrada GT

Loved the kitty attacking the dog pics, those were great! I think it is a shame that pits get such a bad rap. I love my dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (140.3 KB, 59 views)
quackPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #64
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

I wouldn't get into that battle. Part of my pont was that the media covers APBT news more than other breeds. I expect my dogs to bite or intimidate any intruders who enter my home. I never leave them in the back yard. Therefore I have zero concern.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #65
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
hey, I know all about the Gsxr bashing.....there is currently 3 Gsxrs in our garage
Yep! Besides, I'm not saying YOUR dog is bad but come on are you guys really trying to say that a Pit is not more likely to be a vicious dog than average?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #66
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I wouldn't get into that battle. Part of my pont was that the media covers APBT news more than other breeds. I expect my dogs to bite or intimidate any intruders who enter my home. I never leave them in the back yard. Therefore I have zero concern.
That's cool. So if I come over, I don't have to worry that your dog might bite me, right? I'm allowed to make "sudden moves" and get up and walk around the room at my leisure, right? I'm not trying to pick on you, I guess I've just had bad experiences with "vicious breeds" that causes me to be leery of them.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #67
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

Once you've walked into my house with us, its all good. My dogs aren't threatened by our friends. But you better believe they will bark their asses off and possibly bite to defend our home and me if someone breaks in.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #68
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Something else that hasn't been pointed out yet is the media's tendency to label EVERY short haired dog a pit bull. That has become so common. They don't know what the dog is, and use 'pit bull' because it makes headlines.

Same with saying it's a pit mix. A mix is just a mix - and speculating on what breeds are involved (unless known) is ridiculous!! I've had so many people TELL me - not ask - what is mixed in my mix breed. It is infuriating. I don't even know what's in her, I rescued her when she was abandoned at 9 weeks.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #69
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
Once you've walked into my house with us, its all good. My dogs aren't threatened by our friends. But you better believe they will bark their asses off and possibly bite to defend our home and me if someone breaks in.
I understand that, it's just that these dogs seem to have a hard time differentiating between "friends" and "intruders". Also, I've walked out of the room and come back and have suddenly become an intruder.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #70
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yep! Besides, I'm not saying YOUR dog is bad but come on are you guys really trying to say that a Pit is not more likely to be a vicious dog than average?
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. In fact, according to the American Temperament Testing Society a Pit Bull is less likely to be vicious than an average dog. My personal experience with the breed backs that up. They are scored even higher than the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Quote:
That's cool. So if I come over, I don't have to worry that your dog might bite me, right? I'm allowed to make "sudden moves" and get up and walk around the room at my leisure, right? I'm not trying to pick on you, I guess I've just had bad experiences with "vicious breeds" that causes me to be leery of them.
That is completely absurd, and it is unfortunate you know people with dogs so edgy you can't make fast moves...this is 100% bad ownership. Yes, you can come into my house when invited and do anything without fear of being bitten. You can get down on your hands and knees and put your face in my Pit's food bowl while he eats. You can slap him in the face, you can grab his tail you can run from him and have no fear at all of being bitten.

Quote:
I understand that, it's just that these dogs seem to have a hard time differentiating between "friends" and "intruders". Also, I've walked out of the room and come back and have suddenly become an intruder.
Not sure where you're getting your info from but Pits are smart dogs who are very much in tune with their owner's emotional state. If you are in someone's home is is fearful or leary of you then yes, the dog will likely share the same apprehension. Fearfulness in a canine can result in a bite. This is not breed specific. This is a matter of socialization and training...and if you don't do that with ALL working dogs you are likely to have problems.

To address another myth you threw out there earlier, Pit Bulls were not bred for aggression in order to win fights. They were bred for "gameness" and determination, which in turn made them better fighters. Determination CAN be focused into fighting prowess and it is true that when a fight starts a Pit Bull is more likely to win due to the same determination.

This trait is also what allows them to be such excellent pulling or search and rescue dogs. Basically you train them to do the job for you and they will go until they are physically unable. They are capable of pulling more weight per pound than any other breed not because they are the most powerful dog breed...but because they have determination.

As MILF said, any short haired dog that attacks a human automatically becomes a Pit Bull once it hits your local news so to the average viewer it seems that only Pit Bulls attack people.

Dude, look at Cesar Milan's Pit Bulls. He has an entire pack of these dogs, many with violent pasts, that live, eat and asleep together. Thankfully they are not aware of their own stereotypes because they manage to do this without killing each other. Look at his older Pit "Daddy". This dog is completely submissive to dogs and humans yet is personal protection trained. Yes, Daddy will fuck you up if you try to hurt Cesar...yet in all the years Cesar has been doing the show and all the homes Daddy has been taken in to he has never falsely identified a threat and bit anyone.

Your image of the Pit Bull is false. Simple as that.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote