Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #31
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I cant seem to put it clearly...

Basically for my fellow riders to remember when you were new and dont dismiss any female who wants to learn to ride just because you dont think they want to be "real" riders. And for you to maybe pass that along to your students.

Play it forward perhaps?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #32
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

To this day I can't convince my wife to actually ride rather than be a passenger. She's convinced she just can't.

one day I will get her into the MSF at the very least.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
To this day I can't convince my wife to actually ride rather than be a passenger. She's convinced she just can't.

one day I will get her into the MSF at the very least.
I understand how a lot of guys want their SO's to ride so they can share their passion. But why do men try to convince their SO to ride if they really don't want to or are not all that interested.

Every guy I know that tried to get his wife/ SO to ride or the wife/SO wanted to learn to ride for their man, got licensed and got a bike never kept up with it and have a bike sitting collecting dust in the garage.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #34
zlicius
Kneedragger

Moto: Gladius

yup, i've had alot of women pressured into class, most didn't do well.

ed here

hey 'tard we see how well your teaching methods went, STFU
zlicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #35
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Fuck you Ed; PW80...that's starting small, ain't it?

For the record, I started her on a BICYCLE.

The simple fact is, some aren't meant to ride. My GF is one of those.

Last edited by Avatard; 08-14-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #36
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

i started out riding on a YSR50. i thought i was 'the shit' buzzing around town on this glorified pocket rocket. after about a year on that i finally moved up to a ninja 250. owned that for a few years before selling it to go to art school. fast forward a few years and 2 kids later...time to ride again. so i buy another ninja 250 and keep that for 2 years before i even consider my worthy of something bigger. i eventually worked up to the 636 i own today, and lemme tell ya i was terrified to pick it up from the dealer. i was sure it was gonna be too tall/fast for me. i have managed fine on it. never dropped it or anything. but i am still incredibly intimidated by it.

i do know when a bike is just to much for me to handle though. i acquired a harley 'street rod' a few years ago and loved that thing to death. however, it's seat height was much taller than the other v-rods and too much for my short stature. that and it's massive weight convinced me to downsize to the much more rider-friendly nightster. i must say that i never experience anxiety on that bike when i ride it, even though i do on the sportbike. perhaps it's the laid-back riding style. i feel more in control than crouching over the tank. it is an issue i still deal with today.

i must also admit that i don't really care for riding with other people, even though i desire to do so. i want the company, but i always feel like people are critiquing my riding or that i am pressured to ride outside my comfort zone. definately on the 636. harley rides usually go a slower pace so that is a bit less stressful for me. but i always worry about what others think. i want to be a good rider. i just don't know if i actually am. i also don't ride all that often. most times i feel dumb even being a member here, like i don't belong because my bike is an '04 with probably less than 4000 miles on it. i feel like i am a poser or something.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25

Last edited by itgirl; 08-15-2010 at 04:19 PM..
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #37
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I started on a 250 Ninja and feel it was the best for me (looking back hubby said he would have started me on something other than the 250). I feel it allowed me to build the necessary skills that come more naturally for me now on the 600. I think if I would have started on something larger (physically) I wouldn't be as good of a rider. I would have too many things to try and work on - riding, balancing, touching (or not), etc..

I also think having my 600 for 6 weeks then going to the track really helped my confidence and skills. It allowed me to learn that bike right from the start in a controlled environment.

I get nervous at poker runs, because most of them around here are 99% Harley/cruiser riders, so any sport bike that shows up gets looked at... Kawi green doesn't help nor does a girl riding one. I really feel the stares. But I've gotten to the point that I don't care any more, I'm riding.

I think the best thing I learned or maybe hubby shared with me is paying attention to situations you are getting into. Example, I rode his ZX9 one time to get my hair done. The parking lot is on a hill and I thought I'd be better off parking to the down hill. When I went to leave I quickly learned that trying to back up a 440lb bike UP HILL wasn't as easy as if I would have parked that way to start (and backed down hill). Thank God for those gay grab handles on that bike. I remember this each time I ride the bike to get my hair done, park on the up hill. Any where I go I scan the area and quickly run through situations; if I do this, such and such will happen or if I do that, something else will happen. Some times I guess right and some times I guess wrong, but the wrongs I learn two things from 1.) not doing again and 2.) how to get myself out of the situation.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #38
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
All got into trouble (in my opinion) because they chose, large, heavy bikes as first bikes. It wasn't that the they couldn't handle them, it's that they went from small and easy to handle bikes in 8 hrs of training to large, heavy bikes without the opportunity to build muscle groups and train their bodies in using leverage and balance rather than strength. I suggested that while they may have wanted to skip the "stepping-stone" bikes, they may have made it harder for themselves getting the "goal" bike as a first bike

I'll go into more detail as I have time, but just want some feedback into how it went for you and do you wish you'd done things differently?
Methinks your opinion is right.

I got out of the moto scene for nearly 15-years after 10-years of riding (but wasn't instructed properly - too kool for skool back then). Thankfully some wisdom seeped in and I decided to take the MSF basic course. Taught me a great many things I never learned the first ten years of riding.

Went out and bought me the BMW Rockster. The damn thing was tall (32" seat height) with high center of gravity AND a wet weight of around 600-lbs.

I was as careful as I could be and I dropped that mutha three times within the first week. Couldn't balance it because I wasn't used to the weight and the awkward handling of a bike that is much bigger and heavier than the 250 Nighthawk I rode in MSF course.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #39
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Well, women are weak and generally inferior in all ways, what did you expect?
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #40
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Well, women are weak and generally inferior in all ways, what did you expect?
we are the keeper of the vagina though, so at least we have the upper hand there.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote