Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-14-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Ever been towed?

When I blew the engine on my CBR, I had to call for a tow. Came with a large van with a back tailgate. The bike was lashed down inside and brought to my house. Cost $85.

Today I had to have the GS1000 towed. Ran perfect up Lookout Mountain. On the way down, the engine died. Coasted to a turnoff. No power at all. I pulled out the battery. The fluid was a bit low. A bicyclist going uphill asked if I needed help. I asked if he could spare some water from his three bottles. I filled the battery to the full mark. Put it in and nothing.

I checked the main fuse. Replaced with a new one. Nothing. Turned the ignition switch a hundred times. Nothing. Flipped the emergency switch a hundred times. Nothing. Moved the clutch lever and the ignition switch a hundred times. Nothing.

A couple came back from a hike to their car next to me and asked if I needed a jump. Put the cables on the battery. Nothing. Hooked his cables to my cables. Nothing. I asked if they had a cell phone. Called the number of the guy who towed the CBR. That number was disconnected. Called 411 and got a tow company in Golden.

He came up within an hour and had a flatbed that tilted. Meanwhile, one of my friends on a Aprilia Caponord stopped, but I told him I had a tow. Dozens of sportbikes zoomed by. The huge tow truck came and he lowered the bed. He winched on the bike while I sat on it and kept it from falling. He strapped it down and towed it to my garage where it sits. I'll look at it tomorrow. Sixteen miles and $135, thank you. I was more embarrassed than anything.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

You, my friend... are in need of a new Concours 14...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Yup... when I got my flat and then broke my rear set, break lever, and fairings after patching it... I was about 150 miles outside of anchorage... and it took 50 calls to AAA to get one to go through long enough to let them know where I was. lucky I had signal at all... a mile down the road I lost signal riding in the tow truck for the next 90 miles...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
byron12
cookie head

Moto: I now have cheap chinese pocket bike and a free non running kawasaki cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Yup... when I got my flat and then broke my rear set, break lever, and fairings after patching it... I was about 150 miles outside of anchorage... and it took 50 calls to AAA to get one to go through long enough to let them know where I was. lucky I had signal at all... a mile down the road I lost signal riding in the tow truck for the next 90 miles...
Damn and I was gonna say he needed triple a but hell I'm going with the new concours 14 I wouldn't mind on myself..........
byron12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
You, my friend... are in need of a new Concours 14...
I'd rather get a Busa and make it into a sport/tourer. Or maybe a Blackbird. But I also like the older CBR 900's and Aprilia Mille's. We'll see.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron12 View Post
Damn and I was gonna say he needed triple a but hell I'm going with the new concours 14 I wouldn't mind on myself..........
AAA is awesome! it was just that in Alaska... you don't have signal much outside of anchorage... I have nothing but good things to day about AAA
Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I'd rather get a Busa and make it into a sport/tourer. Or maybe a Blackbird. But I also like the older CBR 900's and Aprilia Mille's. We'll see.
Awesome. Any way you look at it, the motorcycle gods are telling you it's time for a change...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
byron12
cookie head

Moto: I now have cheap chinese pocket bike and a free non running kawasaki cruiser.

Quote:
AAA is awesome! it was just that in Alaska... you don't have signal much outside of anchorage... I have nothing but good things to day about AAA
I agree just had the locksmith out here making a key for this free bike I got this afternoon pays for itself in one tow or locksmith visit....
Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Yup... the only time I've been dissapointed was when I took my car to the beach and decided to drive it out ON the beach... got stuck and called AAA... they said basicly because I was further than 15' from the road I'd have to pay for the tow truck... ($500) so I paid a guy who was launching his boat near by $80 (he was a dick but my only real option) to pull me out
Old 04-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #10
byron12
cookie head

Quote:
Yup... the only time I've been dissapointed was when I took my car to the beach and decided to drive it out ON the beach... got stuck and called AAA... they said basicly because I was further than 15' from the road I'd have to pay for the tow truck... ($500) so I paid a guy who was launching his boat near by $80 (he was a dick but my only real option) to pull me out
I actually got stuck in a yard that I was landscaping tore the shit out of it too. When I called AAA I told them not to send a huge tow truck since it would get stuck too I was about a hundred yards from the road. Of course the the truck that shows up is like a freaking 20,000 billion pound monstrosity of course dudes like I can't drive out there I'll get stuck fortuantly me and him were able to rig a collection of the ropes and chains we had between us and winched me out all covered by AAA. If they told some bullshit like that I would just hang up and call back for a different operator...