Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #21
byron12
cookie head

Moto: I now have cheap chinese pocket bike and a free non running kawasaki cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It's a shame, but it's true. One of my ex girlfriends was an MP that had done a tour in Iraq, and she had issues with PTSD, and I think this is almost a form of that.

Personally, I think the main reason that we have problems like this and PTSD is because of the rapid transition soldiers have now that they didn't in the past. Now, and in Vietnam, soldiers go rather quickly from the front line home without adequate time to adjust. In WWII it took months for soldiers to get home, instead of going right from combat to a helicopter ride to a rear base and immediately onto a jet home they had to march back from the front line, wait to get billeted on a ship, then spend a few weeks on a ship coming home. That gave them time to readjust from a combat mindset to a non-combat mindset, instead of having to do it almost virtually overnight.
You also have to keep in mind they didn't diagnose any one with ptsd back then that doesn't mean it didn't exist. Hell the first documented motorcycle hooligans were a bunch of WWII vets that got kicked out the AMA for raising to much hell at AMA events...
byron12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #22
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
I think a lot of it has to do with mindset. Once you've dealt with insurgents, IED's, and ambushes your perception of "dangerous" is somewhat skewed. I would imagine it would take some time for the soldiers to readjust and realize that a motorcycle will kill you just as quickly as a bullet if you do not respect it.
its more like hunting for the same level of adrenaline rush. im sure these numbers will come down when we are back at a peacetime state. not likely to happen anytime soon though
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #23
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I think there was actually an article published reflecting this very opinion. there was a large rash of young military men that died last year almost immediately upon returning to the states. I think the interviews conducted were basically the guys trying to get the adrenaline rush they didnt have back in the states, and with the skewed perception after spending so much time on the front line, they were basically trying to find some other way to retain what they viewed as "normal" after their wartime experiences.
thanks rae, i should really read the entire threads before i say things lol

Quote:
It's a shame, but it's true. One of my ex girlfriends was an MP that had done a tour in Iraq, and she had issues with PTSD, and I think this is almost a form of that.

Personally, I think the main reason that we have problems like this and PTSD is because of the rapid transition soldiers have now that they didn't in the past. Now, and in Vietnam, soldiers go rather quickly from the front line home without adequate time to adjust. In WWII it took months for soldiers to get home, instead of going right from combat to a helicopter ride to a rear base and immediately onto a jet home they had to march back from the front line, wait to get billeted on a ship, then spend a few weeks on a ship coming home. That gave them time to readjust from a combat mindset to a non-combat mindset, instead of having to do it almost virtually overnight.
it gets far easier after the first couple times. just like anything else. between the fireblade and paintball im pretty happy these days
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #24
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
its more like hunting for the same level of adrenaline rush. im sure these numbers will come down when we are back at a peacetime state. not likely to happen anytime soon though
Add to that the guys are now invincible. They have been shot at, and people have tried to blow them up for at least a year... they made it out and now can take on ANYTHING.

I don't think it's a training issue. The only reason I state that - Killeen has had that stat (more deaths on motorcycles than the war) for longer than the Marines and the Army has the training requirement taken care of (MSF).

I think it's an adrenalin issue. We're partnering with Ft. Hood and Sam Houston to get the boys to the track... the military is going to pay for entrance AND gear... we are agreeing there is a time and a place for most anything.

We're trying...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #25
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Add to that the guys are now invincible. They have been shot at, and people have tried to blow them up for at least a year... they made it out and now can take on ANYTHING.

I don't think it's a training issue. The only reason I state that - Killeen has had that stat (more deaths on motorcycles than the war) for longer than the Marines and the Army has the training requirement taken care of (MSF).

I think it's an adrenalin issue. We're partnering with Ft. Hood and Sam Houston to get the boys to the track... the military is going to pay for entrance AND gear... we are agreeing there is a time and a place for most anything.

We're trying...
That is awesome, getting them on the track is an amazing idea!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
DIMford
Nothing beats the RWB

Moto: 07 Honda Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post

We're trying...
I tried pitching that to my command in July. My skipper was willing to give every sportbike rider the oppotunity to go out to the track to check it out. I would try to pitch it here too if I thought this base would go for it.
The Road is a beautiful but dangerous mistress. She'll taunt and tease you with wonderful curves and glorious heights till you lose all control. Then leave you broken and bleeding to tease the next man.
DIMford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #27
Shift
Just a Noob

Moto: 08 Green 6R

Add another one to the list.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20081103/...029/1006/RSS01

I was at Mc D's when i seen the cop lights fly by and sure off when I got home I seen this.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote