Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Rider
Moto GP Star

Default 09 CBR600RR w/ABS

Anyone have any personal experience with the ABS on these bikes? Before my wreck I kind of laughed at the idea of ABS on a motorcycle but now I truly believe that if I had them on the gixxer, I'd still be riding her today.

Just curious how the ABS feels and are they just as good as the normal breaks under normal braking conditions. I don't really like the 600's but the ABS appeals to me and I would own one well before I'd ever own an I-4 liter bike.

I know the VFR-800 has ABS but that bike is a fucking tank.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I remember when the SV got them, seems they love them. I haven't talked with anyone that has an 09 CBARRR yet though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

It's funny you ask that because I just got to ride the CBR with ABS in the rain on monday. A buddy of mine works at a shop that was doing a big tent sale and I helped them set-up (got paid to ride bikes to the sale all day thursday/friday) and break-down (ride them back on monday). It was raining monday and I got to ride the CBR ABS in the rain (along with about 25 other bikes, including a VTX1800 and a B-king!).

My take? The bike felt exactly like the regular CBR while riding, you couldn't really notice the extra 20 some odd lbs that she was carrying. Under braking I could NOT make the tires lock, and trust me, I tired. I was going about 35mph in a exit lane for a parking lot and literally slammed the rear brake and all that happened was the bike slowed down very rapidly. I did hard braking from 75mph to a stoplight in the rain and I could feel the very edge where the tires *should* start sliding, added a little extra brake pressure, and the bike just kept right on slowing down like somebody tied it to a tree. I was damned impressed.

I swear I could feel the ABS kick in, but not in a really noticable or obtrusive way. No change in pressure on the lever and absolutely no surging feeling that is common to ABS systems, but I swear I could feel it. Maybe it was because I had a good idea of where the tire should start to slide and it didn't, and I thought that was what I felt, so it could have been all in my head.

Overall? Very impressed, if you want ABS on a supersport then that bike is the way to go. Bazzaz makes an FI set-up for the bike that includes traction control, get that and a slipper and you'll never lose traction again! (But what's the fun in that?! )

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Sounds impressive.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Sport rider just did a test on the cbr abs and seem to have liked it. Its in this months issue, which also has the crossplane crankshaft 09 r1 tested in it. Good issue so far.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It's funny you ask that because I just got to ride the CBR with ABS in the rain on monday. A buddy of mine works at a shop that was doing a big tent sale and I helped them set-up (got paid to ride bikes to the sale all day thursday/friday) and break-down (ride them back on monday). It was raining monday and I got to ride the CBR ABS in the rain (along with about 25 other bikes, including a VTX1800 and a B-king!).

My take? The bike felt exactly like the regular CBR while riding, you couldn't really notice the extra 20 some odd lbs that she was carrying. Under braking I could NOT make the tires lock, and trust me, I tired. I was going about 35mph in a exit lane for a parking lot and literally slammed the rear brake and all that happened was the bike slowed down very rapidly. I did hard braking from 75mph to a stoplight in the rain and I could feel the very edge where the tires *should* start sliding, added a little extra brake pressure, and the bike just kept right on slowing down like somebody tied it to a tree. I was damned impressed.

I swear I could feel the ABS kick in, but not in a really noticable or obtrusive way. No change in pressure on the lever and absolutely no surging feeling that is common to ABS systems, but I swear I could feel it. Maybe it was because I had a good idea of where the tire should start to slide and it didn't, and I thought that was what I felt, so it could have been all in my head.

Overall? Very impressed, if you want ABS on a supersport then that bike is the way to go. Bazzaz makes an FI set-up for the bike that includes traction control, get that and a slipper and you'll never lose traction again! (But what's the fun in that?! )

I read a review a couple months back... they said basicly the same thing as above... the one thing I found interesting is they took the NON ABS version... and had both an experienced rider and a unexperienced rider try to see how fast they could stop on both models...

after 16 trys... the ABS version stopped faster and shorter than any trys of either rider. the first try for both riders had the ABS verison stop 15' shorter!

the last try had the experienced rider stop 1' shorter on the ABS version than the non... and the unexperienced rider stopped 4' shorter.

4' is easily the difference between a wreck and a near miss... but even that was after 15 OTHER trys that were much greater distance...

I really wish I could find where I read that... very good article.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
The Awesome
Custom User Title

I think ABS would be great for most riders. I hope it becomes a widely available option.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Love my ABS!!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Uh, 20 extra pounds? On a 600, that's a difference even a newbie could feel. And how much does it cost, and how reliable are the sensors and control unit before they break down and require hundreds of dollars to replace?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Uh, 20 extra pounds? On a 600, that's a difference even a newbie could feel.
Yeah, even my mom could feel that, and she's never ridden a motorcycle in her life.

You're a moron.