Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I'm with NtS. What's wrong with taking a little time and take your bike?

As a novice track rider - there really is NO bad sportbike to take to the track. It might be especially enlightening for you to take YOUR bike as it's something you already "know" and would only get to know better.

Example, I had a guy on Monday that normally rides a 1098s. He had picked up the RS125 Aprilia for the trackday - and had a learning curve to get through. Not only was he focused on adjusting to the track environment, but he went to a TOTALLY different bike as well. He was a bit overwhelmed in the first few sessions.

I say, go with what you know until you KNOW you will be committing to the addiction that the track can give people. Not everyone gets the bug - many want it, some drink the whole kool-aide jar... others don't want it.

We now have the offering to rent a Ninja 150R for a few hundred for a trackday. THAT might be a better idea than just jumping in to committing on a new-to-you bike for a few grand...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750

LOL well those are ALL excellent points! One one hand I can completely see how it would be easier for me to take my bike, being used to a bike is pretty important, and i can see how there would be a huge learning curve on the track. Especially since I would be riding my street bike more often. On the other hand I just feel like for my track skills the 750 is to big. Truth be told I didn't want a 750 for the street. The 750 just fell into my lap. I feel like if I had a bit of a smaller bike on the track I fee like Id be riding the bike rather than just hanging on to it. I guess Ill just have to look into it some more.

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

Not to take away from the SV650 because they are great bikes and would be perfect for the track but a 750 is not 'too big'. I ride a 750 and it's perfect for me. Why? because I know that bike and every bit of the way it handles. I'm comfortable on it and that's what's most important.

If you can afford 2 bikes then go for it. If you have only 1 bike and you wreck it at the track then your street bike is out too, if you have 2 bikes you always have one to ride if that's important to you. All about preference and money really.....
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
Looni2ns
Crazy Lady Rider

Moto: '05 SV650S "Baby", '00 Bandit 600S "Rita", '87 EX500 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostz28 View Post
Ya but I don't feel like changing the skins back and forth all the time plus Id still have to take the mirrors off and tape off the headlight and tail light everytime. Just to much of a pain.
I can take Baby from street to track in less than an hour. That's what nice about the SVS650s - minimal fairings. The naked version is even better. 8mm socket and ratchet takes care of the turn signals, Allen wrench takes care of the mirrors (tape ends to hold washers and bolt in place), unscrew reflectors, unplug lights, drop tail piece w/license plate and rear signals (4 1/4" screws), take out fuses for headlights and taillights (2 15 amp fuses), tape up headlights and taillights, zip tie passenger pegs, drop tire pressures to 29/30, lube the chain, and PRESTO, I'm ready for some fun!! I have water wetter in the radiator so that's a no-fuss item. Add 15 minutes if I need to change the oil and filter.
Looni2ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
shmike
Follower

I agree with most of the above. There is no NEED for a 2nd bike.

I can take my bike from street to track or vice versa in about 1 hour.

Your GSXR is as capable of being a first track bike as a podium finishing club racer.

That said, judging from the your posts here, you sound intimidated by the Gixxer. For that reason alone it may be worth the money to buy a 2nd bike.

I am a big believer the mental aspect of track riding. If you believe that you will be a better/safer rider on an SV, you probably will be.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostz28 View Post
LOL well those are ALL excellent points! One one hand I can completely see how it would be easier for me to take my bike, being used to a bike is pretty important, and i can see how there would be a huge learning curve on the track. Especially since I would be riding my street bike more often. On the other hand I just feel like for my track skills the 750 is to big. Truth be told I didn't want a 750 for the street. The 750 just fell into my lap. I feel like if I had a bit of a smaller bike on the track I fee like Id be riding the bike rather than just hanging on to it. I guess Ill just have to look into it some more.
I started my first track season on with a ZX10 that I owned for barely a month... The 750 isn't too big. Weight wise - MAYBE, but this is coming from a more power/less weight to go faster mindset. There's nothing wrong or overbearing about a 750. Same goes for a 1000 and any power bike really. It's what you already know and just transitioning that to the track.

With that all said, it's completely up to you to justify a track bike. If you REALLY want to do all the track days you can and have the means(money, time off work, a track close by, etc) then go for it. Otherwise tape it up and ride it out.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
azoomm
moderator chick

Just remember, it's YOUR hand on the throttle.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750

I guess I should clarify my reasons for not wanting the 750 on the track. Its not that I cant handle it. Ive had it on the track before its not that Im scared of it or anything, I just feel like with a smaller bike I could push it a bit harder and get better. I feel like with a smaller bike a little mistake can be saved where with the 750 a small mistake may have me sittin in the kitty litter. Plus I hate when you are at the track and youre runnin up some guys ass because hes parking it in every corner and then on the straight they just hammer their big liter bikes and ya can't get by em, and I don't want to be that guy. As far as changing the plastics out everytime, you guys are better than me I can barely just get the plastics back on my bike in an hour, let alone taking off the track skins and then putting them on. Which isn't even a big deal I don't mind putting a little time into it, what I don't want is to end up wadding her in a corner and then I don't have a street bike. I know track skins, and frame sliders and bar ends and all that go a long way to protect the bike but if you put her down at a decent clip theres gonna be some damage. and I just don't think its worth the risk. My latest idea is to sell the gsxr and buy a cruiser and a track bike! i don't know if I could do it though! lol

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
azoomm
moderator chick

Hey man, you asked

If you want to buy a trackbike - buy a trackbike. It's alright, we'll get over it.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:35 AM   #20
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I'd run your 750 unless you plan on doing 2 or more trackdays a month...since aonther bike will be expensive.

The good thing about using your street bike is that you are already used to it AND a 750 has a much better chassis setup then the SV. While the SV is OK, the suspension and brakes will need work. Also, the power isn't all that great on high hp tracks

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 05-25-2009 at 07:10 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote