Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #161
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Nice fact checking, Ace.
What the hell is the UKC? Well hush my mouth! I ain't never heard of no UKC! Shoot, when the lady gave me UKC paperwork for my dog, I honestly threw it away! No bull shit! Hey, I never claimed to be an expert! I'm SUPPOSED to be the irrational side of this argument!!! I'm still not sure how immigrants brought American Pitbull Terriers to this country but okay, it says so on the UKC website so it must be true!

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/B...dNovember12008

Sometime during the nineteenth century, dog fanciers in England, Ireland and Scotland began to experiment with crosses between Bulldogs and Terriers, looking for a dog that combined the gameness of the terrier with the strength and athleticism of the Bulldog. The result was a dog that embodied all of the virtues attributed to great warriors: strength, indomitable courage, and gentleness with loved ones. Immigrants brought these bull and terrier crosses to the United States. The American Pit Bull Terrier’s many talents did not go unnoticed by farmers and ranchers who used their APBTs as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions. Today, the American Pit Bull Terrier continues to demonstrate its versatility, competing successfully in Obedience, Tracking, Agility and Weight Pulls, as well as Conformation.

The United Kennel Club was the first registry to recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier. UKC founder C. Z. Bennett assigned UKC registration number 1 to his own APBT, Bennett’s Ring, in 1898.

Dude the UKC has "events" and "shows", like dog pulls and what not.

The programs at UKC include Obedience Trials, Agility Trials, Weight Pull Events, Terrier Races, Dock Jumping Events, Total Junior Program, Dog Sports (including Family Obedience), Coonhound Field Trials, Water Races, Nite Hunts and Bench Shows, Hunt Tests for retrieving breeds, Pointing Dog Events, Beagle Events (including Hunts and Bench Shows, and Cur and Feist Squirrel and Coon Events and Bench Shows.

Dude, they even let mutts in! WTF!

Part of our mission is to have events where all dogs can compete. In addition to our purebred dog registry, United Kennel Club offers a Limited Privilege program. The Limited Privilege is open to all dogs that are spayed/neutered. This includes mixed breed dogs, purebred dogs of unknown pedigree, and purebred dogs with disqualifying faults as described in the UKC breed standards. The programs open to Limited Privilege dogs are Obedience Trials, Weight Pulls, Agility Trials, Total Junior Program and Dog Sports (including Family Obedience).

You have to admit that it's kinda funny that the UKC founder had one so he decided that this was a legitimate breed but the AMERICAN Kennel Club still says "mutt"! It sounds like somebody couldn't get his dog registered with the AKC so he started his own damn club!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #162
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

<- Tigger
Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #163
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

I completely agree that the dangers posed by potentially dangerous breeds (all of them, really) are greatly aggravated by the actions/neglect/failure to discipline by their human owners. BUT, I can't help to conclude that that for whatever combination of factors, there's simply no denying that a few breed 'types' are responsible for the vast majority of fatalities. I think it's reasonable to assume a similar correlation with cases of serious injury. Based on the raw fatality stat's, Pits and Rotts are by far the leading breeds in dog-attack deaths, alond with a few others (and yes, I know a lot of bully dogs that aren't APBTs get lumped together as 'pit-bulls', but so what? - we're not debating pedigree, and by that same token lots of Rott-mixes are classified just the same as pure-breds). Of course, the figures aren't correlated to the total # of dogs of a particular type - but it's hard to argue with the raw #'s showing a very strong trend in the types of dogs that attack/kill humans.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

http://www.dogexpert.com/FatalDogAtt...ttackhome.html

I asked my brother to refresh my memory about his good friend, Dominique, who was the guy I knew that was bitten badly - 3rd hand account, but a reliable source (to me) with no reason to lie about it. It was actually his girlfriend's family dog, which was kept as an indoor 'pet' (I know, they're not pets, blah, blah - but that's the reality of how many if not the majority of dogs are kept in this country). He was visiting for X-mas dinner & eating a plate of food while sitting on the hearth, and the dog was pestering him by nosing at his plate while he ate (unacceptable behavior, but the dog was simply being a pest & not 'visciously' aggressive). After pushing him away a couple of times, it snapped onto his face twice & laid him open from the top of his cheekbone to his chin. Was it precipitated by ignorance/negligence on the part of the owners and perhaps an improper/careless reaction from the 'victim'? Sure - but it sure as hell wasn't some chained-up grossly-mistreated curr being unduly provoked by someone blatantly taunting or abusing it.

I'm not at all saying that pit-bulls or Rotts or any other 'dangerous' breed are automatically 'bad' or 'evil'. I think that the vast majority that have good owners & proper treatment/training can be loyal, loving, trusted family-members, and I totally accept that the biggest factor in their propensity to attack is how they are raised, socialized & disciplined. BUT, I also think that without a proper upbringing they (dogs in general, larger/stronger dogs particularly, and a handful of breeds specifically) can be very much like having a loaded gun laying around.

Last edited by Kerry_129; 09-16-2009 at 12:52 AM..
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #164
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
I completely agree that the dangers posed by potentially dangerous breeds (all of them, really) are greatly aggravated by the actions/neglect/failure to discipline by their human owners. BUT, I can't help to conclude that that for whatever combination of factors, there's simply no denying that a few breed 'types' are responsible for the vast majority of fatalities. I think it's reasonable to assume a similar correlation with cases of serious injury. Based on the raw fatality stat's, Pits and Rotts are by far the leading breeds in dog-attack deaths, alond with a few others (and yes, I know a lot of bully dogs that aren't APBTs get lumped together as 'pit-bulls', but so what? - we're not debating pedigree, and by that same token lots of Rott-mixes are classified just the same as pure-breds). Of course, the figures aren't correlated to the total # of dogs of a particular type - but it's hard to argue with the raw #'s showing a very strong trend in the types of dogs that attack/kill humans.

I asked my brother to refresh my memory about his good friend, Dominique, who was the guy I knew that was bitten badly - 3rd hand account, but a reliable source (to me) with no reason to lie about it. It was actually his girlfriend's family dog, which was kept as an indoor 'pet' (I know, they're not pets, blah, blah - but that's the reality of how many if not the majority of dogs are kept in this country). He was visiting for X-mas dinner & eating a plate of food while sitting on the hearth, and the dog was pestering him by nosing at his plate while he ate (unacceptable behavior, but the dog was simply being a pest & not 'visciously' aggressive). After pushing him away a couple of times, it snapped onto his face twice & laid him open from the top of his cheekbone to his chin. Was it precipitated by ignorance/negligence on the part of the owners and perhaps an improper/careless reaction from the 'victim'? Sure - but it sure as hell wasn't some chained-up grossly-mistreated curr being unduly provoked by someone blatantly taunting or abusing it.

I'm not at all saying that pit-bulls or Rotts or any other 'dangerous' breed are automatically 'bad' or 'evil'. I think that the vast majority that have good owners & proper treatment/training can be loyal, loving, trusted family-members, and I totally accept that the biggest factor in their propensity to attack is how they are raised, socialized & disciplined. BUT, I also think that without a proper upbringing they (dogs in general, larger/stronger dogs particularly, and a handful of breeds specifically) can be very much like having a loaded gun laying around.
Well put but I'm sure that you know that your numbers are suspect and your information is biased.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #165
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Rottweilers have the highest bite strength of any dog. Pits are high on the list too. So yes, if they bite they do damage. That certainly plays in to the statistics AND into incident reports.

If for example if you are bitten by a Poodle you won't be injured as badly, even if the dog bites all the time.. as in my moms poodle that bit me multiple times, or the choc lab down the street that attacked my Rottie twice, or the neighbor's daschund that tried to bite me twice, or my former employers toy poodle who bit numerous people, me included. NONE of those bites or attacks were ever reported because the damage was minimal.

If all dog bites were reported the statistics would show a vastily different result. AND we would be debating breed bans on Poodles right now, no doubt about it..
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #166
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post

You haven't been keeping up have you?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #167
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I've owned two Rotties and several Pits that never bit anyone and own guns that have never shot anyone...wow what a boring life.

Sucks being responsible.

I don't own Pits or Rotties currently...just a little Shiba Inu and he's just an early warning system...I've still got the guns.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #168
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
Rottweilers have the highest bite strength of any dog. Pits are high on the list too. So yes, if they bite they do damage. That certainly plays in to the statistics AND into incident reports.

If for example if you are bitten by a Poodle you won't be injured as badly, even if the dog bites all the time.. as in my moms poodle that bit me multiple times, or the choc lab down the street that attacked my Rottie twice, or the neighbor's daschund that tried to bite me twice, or my former employers toy poodle who bit numerous people, me included. NONE of those bites or attacks were ever reported because the damage was minimal.

If all dog bites were reported the statistics would show a vastily different result. AND we would be debating breed bans on Poodles right now, no doubt about it..
Oh no....Chihuahuas, my friend! They are dogs from fucking HELL!!! I have never seen a more vicious or meaner breed of dog in my life!!!

I see your point but on the other hand almost everyone that has ever owned a hamster has been bitten at least once, would you like to consider a ban on those? Besides, I NEVER even once suggested that the dogs be banned, I think that they are of a more aggressive temperament than the average dog, like say a Golden Retriever, Kaneman does not agree.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #169
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I've owned two Rotties and several Pits that never bit anyone and own guns that have never shot anyone...wow what a boring life.

Sucks being responsible.

I don't own Pits or Rotties currently...just a little Shiba Inu and he's just an early warning system...I've still got the guns.
Geesh, paranoid much? Just kidding!!!! No gun arguments for me for a while!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #170
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Geesh, paranoid much? Just kidding!!!! No gun arguments for me for a while!!!
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote