Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #261
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
My car got T-boned a few days ago, and most likely totaled, so I've been driving a rental 2012 Impala LTZ. This thing is a barge, in the classic American tradition. Bigger than it needs to be, floaty on the highway, gets blown around by the wind due to soft shocks, and flat slippery seats that don't support. Reminds me of the old Caprice from the 90's. I didn't even think these types of cars existed anymore. Even a base Taurus handles better than this car.

I had to laugh at the 18 inch wheels that come with the LTZ "package". Why even bother with that overkill, when they're shod with cheap 50-series Eagle RSA's?

On the positive side, the drivetrain has a 300hp V6 with a 6-speed auto. This thing picks up and flies above 4000 rpm. And it sounds good doing so.

You can pick up one of these for cheap, so if interior space is your main priority, it could be a good deal. But handling better not be important to you.
Since you made no mention of injuries should we assume you are OK?
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #262
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Since you made no mention of injuries should we assume you are OK?
yep, thanks for asking, car is not though, one of the control arms sheared off, so I can't see how it wouldn't be totalled.....

BTW that is her front bumper wedged into my wheel, lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a4pic.JPG (75.8 KB, 93 views)
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #263
Homeslice
Elitist

2011 Nissan Altima

I will try to keep this a fair review, as I'm sure some of you own Altimas.

I actually rented 2 of them, a four-door and a two-door. Both 2011 or 2012 (not the brand new 2013 that just came out).

The 2-door had 17" wheels instead of 16", and slightly sportier seats. Other than that, they were equipped the same.

First I'll start off by saying, I don't know why Nissan chooses to include the engine size in the model name. Like "2.5 S"........Like as if a 2.5 liter engine is impressive in a car this big.

The engine has OK torque, but it sounds thrashy and moany above 3K rpm. It's mated with a CVT tranny (there is no "traditional" automatic available). The only benefit of CVT's is that they eliminate jerky shifts........But in return, it feels like it's always slipping. You floor it from a light, and it goes up to 5K or so and just hangs there, like as if it's slipping or something.

I got about 29 mpg, but that was all highway.

Handling was average for a car of this class. There is good bodyroll control, probably via decent swaybars or springs, but the shocks allowed a little too much float for my preference. The ride quality is good and it's quiet, but bumps in the middle of a turn throw it off-course. The tires were the weakest spot......cheap Turanza all-seasons. But that's typical for rentals.

Biggest weakness of this car is the brakes.....They are WAY too touchy.

After being started in the morning, and hitting ~30 mph after pulling out, there is a strange clunk from somewhere under the hood.... Maybe some kind of flap closing.

As for the interior:
- The 2-door is a good looking car, but has a HUGE blind spot.
- Push button start is nice, but I didn't see a way to operate the accessories without the motor on.
- Don't get the manual seats, there is no way to tilt the bottom cushion, so it offers no under-thigh support.
- The wiper stalk operates the opposite of the way it should. It's down to turn them on, unlike most cars where you pull it up to activate. Also, it can be easily hit by accident when you're using the radio.
- The fuel door release can be easily hit by your foot.
- There is no seatbelt chime, which is strange.

If price is a concern, and you find one for a couple thousand less than an Accord or Camry, I suppose it'd be a good deal, but otherwise I'd go Honda anytime.

Last edited by Homeslice; 07-22-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #264
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
2011 Nissan Altima

I will try to keep this a fair review, as I'm sure some of you own Altimas.

I actually rented 2 of them, a four-door and a two-door. Both 2011 or 2012 (not the brand new 2013 that just came out).

The 2-door had 17" wheels instead of 16", and slightly sportier seats. Other than that, they were equipped the same.

First I'll start off by saying, I don't know why Nissan chooses to include the engine size in the model name. Like "2.5 S"........Like as if a 2.5 liter engine is impressive in a car this big.

The engine has OK torque, but it sounds thrashy and moany above 3K rpm. It's mated with a CVT tranny (there is no "traditional" automatic available). The only benefit of CVT's is that they eliminate jerky shifts........But in return, it feels like it's always slipping. You floor it from a light, and it goes up to 5K or so and just hangs there, like as if it's slipping or something.

I got about 29 mpg, but that was all highway.

Handling was average for a car of this class. There is good bodyroll control, probably via decent swaybars or springs, but the shocks allowed a little too much float for my preference. The ride quality is good and it's quiet, but bumps in the middle of a turn throw it off-course. The tires were the weakest spot......cheap Turanza all-seasons. But that's typical for rentals.

Biggest weakness of this car is the brakes.....They are WAY too touchy.

After being started in the morning, and hitting ~30 mph after pulling out, there is a strange clunk from somewhere under the hood.... Maybe some kind of flap closing.

As for the interior:
- The 2-door is a good looking car, but has a HUGE blind spot.
- Push button start is nice, but I didn't see a way to operate the accessories without the motor on.
- Don't get the manual seats, there is no way to tilt the bottom cushion, so it offers no under-thigh support.
- The wiper stalk operates the opposite of the way it should. It's down to turn them on, unlike most cars where you pull it up to activate. Also, it can be easily hit by accident when you're using the radio.
- The fuel door release can be easily hit by your foot.
- There is no seatbelt chime, which is strange.

If price is a concern, and you find one for a couple thousand less than an Accord or Camry, I suppose it'd be a good deal, but otherwise I'd go Honda anytime.
Having owned our 3.5SE V6 coupe w/ 6-speed manual for over 5 years now and also having rented a couple of the 2.5s like yours, I agree that the engine/tranny on those sucks bad. Our Altima drives and feels like a different car completely. Hate the 2.5s, love ours. If you ever get the chance, you should drive a V6 (stick preferrably) version to see for yourself.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #265
shmike
Follower

I thought on every Japanese car you pulled down for wipers?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #266
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I thought on every Japanese car you pulled down for wipers?
On my old Mazda you pushed down to get one wipe, but pushed it UP for one of the continuous cycles. And I think that's how every other car I've owned was.

Last edited by Homeslice; 07-24-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #267
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Having owned our 3.5SE V6 coupe w/ 6-speed manual for over 5 years now and also having rented a couple of the 2.5s like yours, I agree that the engine/tranny on those sucks bad. Our Altima drives and feels like a different car completely. Hate the 2.5s, love ours. If you ever get the chance, you should drive a V6 (stick preferrably) version to see for yourself.
Problem is, rental lots usually won't bother getting the V6. I'm sure it's a lot nicer though.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #268
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Problem is, rental lots usually won't bother getting the V6. I'm sure it's a lot nicer though.
Was insinuating you may know or meet someone with one.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #269
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Was insinuating you may know or meet someone with one.
I hope Homeslice meets someone.
Someone special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #270
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I hope Homeslice meets someone.
Someone special.