Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Just a suggestion, if you're going to run a clip-type master link, a little RTV sealant smeared over the clip, (I use the black stuff) goes a long way towards keeping them from flying off at inopportune moments.

Clean it well first with some rubbing alcohol, let the RTV sit overnight, and re-lube.

JC
QFT! I won't use clip on mater links for this reason. I've seen too many fly off! Btw AMJ aren't you supposed to press the plate into place on a clip master link? UKR mentioned that he just "held" it tight with vise grips to get the clip on... I did a guy's chain who showed up with a clip style. I pressed it together and then just popped the clip on with silicone. Still don't like it...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Couldn't you just have left it in gear? Or would it damage the transmission?
I've done it that way with a guy sitting on the bike to hold it in place... in my experience, an impact wrench works just fine for this job but I may be taking a risk and his way is the best/safest.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #13
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
QFT! I won't use clip on mater links for this reason. I've seen too many fly off! Btw AMJ aren't you supposed to press the plate into place on a clip master link? UKR mentioned that he just "held" it tight with vise grips to get the clip on... I did a guy's chain who showed up with a clip style. I pressed it together and then just popped the clip on with silicone. Still don't like it...
At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how you get the clip on, as long as it locks into the detents on the pins. A press makes it easier to not bugger the clip up (bad), but if you're careful, vise grips will work ok-ish.

If you want to go whole hog, you can safety wire the clip in place, and then RTV it (SOP in some vintage race orgs, and a huge PITA).

JC