Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt
Default Ton'in up

figured id throw up a thread about my halfassed resto/cafe conversion to my cm450. first a brief history: i got her off of a guy i went to iraq with to the tune of around $250. it had been sitting outside and hadnt been registered since the early 90's! put some air in the (very flat) tires, threw in a new battery and plugs and swapped out the ancient gas with fresh premium and she fired right up

i really hated the custom look so i scooped up some flat bars which not only made her far better looking but much easier to ride.

made a couple other improvements, mirrors never fit wit the new bars so i eightysixed 'em. also lost the sissy bar and spent a lot of time cleaning, de rusting, and painting. also de baffled the stock pipes so the system is now open and straight with a rather unneeded crossover

took it to my car club meet two weeks ago and snapped the throttle cable, limped her home and parked her for a bit. anyway since i had to order one part ive been racking up goodies that ought to make it more interesting. so far ive ordered a new cable, pod filters, clubman bars, oil filter etc.. also have some new bar ends for her cause im putting the 954's stock grips on the new bars when they show up. still looking for a good deal on header wrap, tires, carb rebuild kit, and maybe some more enticing sprockets. coming soon
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

get rid of that seat, and make it a solo seat with a little hump where the back seat is and you might have a nice little project
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Suggestion.... $25

http://www.d2moto.com/Items/m040-bla...0End%20Mirrors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M040-Black.jpg (28.4 KB, 180 views)
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
get rid of that seat, and make it a solo seat with a little hump where the back seat is and you might have a nice little project
seat is staying for now, might try ditching it for an older flat honda seat + cowl though.

and tiggs, ive seen those but im not crazy about em. looking for other options
Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

in jersey the requirement is for one mirror, and it doesn't have to be in any sort of place that you can see behind you, just pop something on there with a short stalk then
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Suggestion... buy a can of rustoleum engine paint in flat black and hit the engine,frame,etc. Also,run sb foot pegs straight from the mounts and get a shorter shifter. You'll have to figure something for the rear brake,if you even use it. I agree with the seat idea. Take it to an upholstery guy,he could easily and cheaply,shave the rear portion of the seat and re-cover it for you. loose the fender,use a cruiser or trailer aftermarket tail light and mount it under the seat. Cut and paint the chain guard. Lose the turning signals. Get some surface mount leds and attach them under the seat and to the bar end mirrors (run the wire down the handle bar if you're feelin' frisky)
Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
seat is staying for now, might try ditching it for an older flat honda seat + cowl though.

and tiggs, ive seen those but im not crazy about em. looking for other options
Oops so much for my turning signal idea...
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Ok... $79

http://advanceauto.shoplocal.com/adv...toreid=2370190
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camera.jpg (38.6 KB, 176 views)
Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Suggestion... buy a can of rustoleum engine paint in flat black and hit the engine,frame,etc. Also,run sb foot pegs straight from the mounts and get a shorter shifter. You'll have to figure something for the rear brake,if you even use it. I agree with the seat idea. Take it to an upholstery guy,he could easily and cheaply,shave the rear portion of the seat and re-cover it for you. loose the fender,use a cruiser or trailer aftermarket tail light and mount it under the seat. Cut and paint the chain guard. Lose the turning signals. Get some surface mount leds and attach them under the seat and to the bar end mirrors (run the wire down the handle bar if you're feelin' frisky)
that actually sounds not too far off. ive got a friend who powdercoats and also has a massive media blast cabinet so at some point in the season id like to tear it all down, blast it and paint it. then i ought to be able to make radical changes. still using it for training the gf at the moment so besides the clubman's i dont want to noodle with the controls too much

Last edited by Dave; 03-26-2009 at 01:21 AM..
Old 03-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
that actually sounds not too far off. ive got a friend who powdercoats and also has a massive media blast cabinet so at some point in the season id like to tear it all down, blast it and paint it. then i ought to be able to make radical changes. still using it for trianing the gf at the moment so besides the clubman's i dont want to noodle with the controls too much

Okay...here goes,get the light-up bar ends and use those for turning signals.....