Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 03-04-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
Default Concerns about my wife on the track.

I'm pretty sure she'll be buying the new 250R when I get back. That's all good. I'm excited about that. But the more and more I read about deaths and what not, I'm seriously contemplating having her just do track riding ONLY. Maybe get some practice in on neighborhood streets/big lots where there's not much traffic to get comfortable.

For the level one guys, do you guys encounter people that seems like it's their first time on a bike ever? I intend on her taking the class at the track day, so she'll getthe basics down as far as holding your line and all that. Actually, I can see why level one guys can only pass in the straights now. Because of people in the same boat as my wife.

I'm just worried she'll get scared out there because of all the other bikes passing her fairly close. And I don't want her riding when she's scared, you know? Personally, I think she can do it. I just need a place for her to get the basics down, at speed, first. I know Kurt (Zortness) was going to get his wife a bike too, load it up on his trailer, and head to some practice spots and he said we should tag along as well, which was cool as hell. My biggest concern is her causing a wreck because she is not familiar with other people riding close to her.

What do you guys think about her being on the track, even before riding on the street?

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
What do you guys think about her being on the track, even before riding on the street?
I think it's the best idea ever.

My best friend did that... MSF, learned the mechanics and how the bike works. Then... track, and has been racing since. She is one of the best riders I know. Not the fastest out there, but certainly one of the most smooth.

Now, why is it you have these concerns and haven't sat her down and talked to her about it. Are you worried the hackles will go up? Do you realize you sound like a flashback to 1952?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I think it's the best idea ever.

My best friend did that... MSF, learned the mechanics and how the bike works. Then... track, and has been racing since. She is one of the best riders I know. Not the fastest out there, but certainly one of the most smooth.

Now, why is it you have these concerns and haven't sat her down and talked to her about it. Are you worried the hackles will go up? Do you realize you sound like a flashback to 1952?
Because I'm 6,000+ miles away from her. I get back in three weeks and she'll want to get the bike ASAp, probably. What's a hackle? She's taken the MSF course twice and already had the "M" endorsement. The only bikes she's rode were at MSF and a 250 she was test riding for about 5 minutes. You rstory about your best friend is inspiring though. I know she can do it. I just don't want her confusing other riders on the track because she's not familiar with track riding yet. At the same time, people in Vegas can't drive for SHIT! Don't want her getting clipped by some dumb fuck, you know?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

I was under the impression the beginners track days kept them pretty spread out. But I have no experience. But I think your on the right track, literally, my wife has siad the only way she'll learn is off the streets somewhere
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburg View Post
I was under the impression the beginners track days kept them pretty spread out. But I have no experience. But I think your on the right track, literally, my wife has siad the only way she'll learn is off the streets somewhere
Yeah, they do, as far as split groups. Level 1, 2 and 3. There's also a beginners class which is $100 extra, but necessary. It'll give her a solid base to work with. I'm thinking we'll hit up some lots and/or neighborhoods to get her use to traveling at more than 10mph, like the MSF course.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Yeah, they do, as far as split groups. Level 1, 2 and 3. There's also a beginners class which is $100 extra, but necessary. It'll give her a solid base to work with. I'm thinking we'll hit up some lots and/or neighborhoods to get her use to traveling at more than 10mph, like the MSF course.
Let me recommend industrial parks on the weekend. The one here has a lot of nice big curves, a couple of traffic circles and stuff, and it is absolutely DEAD on the weekends.
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburg View Post
Let me recommend industrial parks on the weekend. The one here has a lot of nice big curves, a couple of traffic circles and stuff, and it is absolutely DEAD on the weekends.
The ones we have are always busy. Zortness and I will figure it out.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Because I'm 6,000+ miles away from her. I get back in three weeks and she'll want to get the bike ASAp, probably. What's a hackle? She's taken the MSF course twice and already had the "M" endorsement. The only bikes she's rode were at MSF and a 250 she was test riding for about 5 minutes. You rstory about your best friend is inspiring though. I know she can do it. I just don't want her confusing other riders on the track because she's not familiar with track riding yet. At the same time, people in Vegas can't drive for SHIT! Don't want her getting clipped by some dumb fuck, you know?
I get it.

A hackle is what happens to a cat when it sees something it doesn't like... many women do it when they feel challenged. They go on the defensive, then there isn't anything you can tell them on the planet that will change their mind... maybe buy them new shoes at that point...

Any trackday company worth their salt will recognize the help she needs and give it to her. That goes for any new rider, male or female. Most of those can be spotted in the pit area, and REALLY on the round-robins... the death grip, the elbows, hell... you can even see them holding their breath.

The track isn't about speed, it's about control. And, I can't think of a better place for someone to learn about riding at speed. If anything it will get her more comfortable with the bike, the balance, how it maneuvers, etc.

The track isn't more dangerous... it's more expensive.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I get it.

A hackle is what happens to a cat when it sees something it doesn't like... many women do it when they feel challenged. They go on the defensive, then there isn't anything you can tell them on the planet that will change their mind... maybe buy them new shoes at that point...

Any trackday company worth their salt will recognize the help she needs and give it to her. That goes for any new rider, male or female. Most of those can be spotted in the pit area, and REALLY on the round-robins... the death grip, the elbows, hell... you can even see them holding their breath.

The track isn't about speed, it's about control. And, I can't think of a better place for someone to learn about riding at speed. If anything it will get her more comfortable with the bike, the balance, how it maneuvers, etc.

The track isn't more dangerous... it's more expensive.
I've seen many hackles then. I've been telling her it's not about speed. I put down 1:30's and my buddy is still in the 2:10's. I told her she can follow him. He's done quite a few track days. I just gotta make sure I'm not too anal, for lack of a better term. She doesn't need me in her ear all day, when the TD host is telling her the same thing. It'll be cool as hell to see her out there though. I'm smiling about it already.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I would let her decide, if she thought she was comfortable enough to ride on street than you should let her. If not throw her into N, the track marshalls will keep her safe. I would at least find somewhere deserted to practice a little before though. Do ya'll not have some high school parking lots around there that would be empty in the evening to use?
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote