Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 03-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Not sure I should post this; but it's the truth, so what the heck.

I have a friend of mine who rode for a few years, and wife wanted to learn. They bought a used bike, and after a couple of weeks and an MSF course, they were practicing in a parking lot. She went down at about 5 mph, fell funny, and she has been paralyzed from the waist down since.

I am not trying to freak you out. Just the opposite. What this example illustrates (for me) is that IT DOESN'T MATTER how hard we want to protect those that we love; if something is going to happen, it's going to happen. Doesn't matter if it's in a parking lot, on the track or falling off a bloody ladder, or slipping in the tub. In the mean time, we enjoy what time we have and strive to be better.

You and your bride need to sit down to talk. Face to face. You, to vent your fears, she to understand them, and you will also find out that she likely shares the same fears for you.

This from a guy sitting in the middle of a couple million pounds of live ordnance. Ever think how silly this sounds. Sheeshe.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #22
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Not sure I should post this; but it's the truth, so what the heck.

I have a friend of mine who rode for a few years, and wife wanted to learn. They bought a used bike, and after a couple of weeks and an MSF course, they were practicing in a parking lot. She went down at about 5 mph, fell funny, and she has been paralyzed from the waist down since.

I am not trying to freak you out. Just the opposite. What this example illustrates (for me) is that IT DOESN'T MATTER how hard we want to protect those that we love; if something is going to happen, it's going to happen. Doesn't matter if it's in a parking lot, on the track or falling off a bloody ladder, or slipping in the tub. In the mean time, we enjoy what time we have and strive to be better.

You and your bride need to sit down to talk. Face to face. You, to vent your fears, she to understand them, and you will also find out that she likely shares the same fears for you.

This from a guy sitting in the middle of a couple million pounds of live ordnance. Ever think how silly this sounds. Sheeshe.
I'm aware of that and also aware that shit like that barely happens. Getting hit by a cage on the streets is more likely. There's risks with everything. The risk is a lot less riding on the track. I can respect that crazy shit like that can happen, but it's less common than the risks involved with driving on the streets in Vegas, trust me.

Couple million pounds of live ordinance,

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #23
fpzx10
Rides a Crotch Scooter

Moto: 2007 GSXR 750

I have to agree with your logic. The track is a much more controlled environment. You worry about her getting scared when someone passes her on the track, but passing (no matter how close) is expected. It is much easier to deal with that than the unexpected oncoming left turn, the no-look merge, or the old lady pulling out of her driveway.

Ultimately, it is her call. If she is willing to take the risk of street riding, you have to respect that.

Also, you talk about being anal. You should help her with the basics and that's it. Overly critiquing you wife will cause nothing but problems. Sit back, let Zort do more of the instructing and you do more of the encouraging.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #24
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im with FP on this one...let her make her own decisions.

Taking her to the track to learn is an awesome choice and you cant go wrong. But its her call on whether to street ride. If shes anything like me, if you said you dont want her to do it or its too dangerous, she'll do it just out of sheer stubbornness!

Depending on the type of woman she is, you may need to sit back and NOT CRITIQUE her at all. Let the instructors do what theyre being paid for and let them teach her what she needs to know. From my own experience and helping others with the basics, it comes across alot better from an outside party than someone close to you when you are trying to learn these skills. Having a naggin hubby or one who means well but wont shut up just isnt a good way to go about it. She may feel pushed or pressured...and then the love for what she's doing wont be there.

Good luck, keep us posted!
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #25
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

For most couples:

Husband as Teacher, Critic, Instructor = Many nights on sofa.

Husband as Cheerleader and Riding Partner= Marital Bliss

It has been my experience that women do better with ANYBODY else as their Riding Coach/Instructor than a BF/Husband....too much emotional stuff at stake for both parties.

For the woman; It's "I KNOW I can DO this; Just Stop YELLING At Me!!!!"

For the Guy; "This is so SIMPLE, WHY can't you RELAX AND DO WHAT I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by OTB; 03-04-2008 at 01:44 PM..
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #26
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
For most couples:

Husband as Teacher, Critic, Instructor = Many nights on sofa.

Husband as Cheerleader and Riding Partner= Marital Bliss

It has been my experience that women do better with ANYBODY else as their Riding Coach/Instructor than a BF/Husband....too much emotional stuff at stake for both parties.

For the woman; It's I KNOW I can DO this; Just Stop YELLING At Me!!!!

For the Guy; This is so SIMPLE, WHY can't you RELAX AND DO WHAT I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!
and the KING speaks!!! Thats is EXACTLY what happens!!!

(Of course on a more negative side note, when actually riding and hubby irritates wife by pushing her, she may end up in a ditch...seen it first hand (she was okay but PISSED)...then no more riding for either of them!!)
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #27
zortness
Contagious Track Addict

Moto: Too many bikes

All good info on here. Like D said, I'm sort of in the same boat. My wife wants to ride as well, and has her M license, but she's only ridden a street bike for those few days at Femmoto last year when she took the MSF. I've been taking her out in the dirt just so she can practice shifting and stuff, but it's not the road.

When you get back D, we'll have to go up to Utah or something, buy a pair of 250's, and then take the girls out somewhere so they can get more comfortable. That's the best I can come up with. I'm not putting my wife on the streets here... it's seriously the equivalent of putting someone in front of a firing squad and hoping the guns misfire.

We can take the girls out on the dirtbikes too if you want. They're easy to ride.
zortness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #28
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

D, with a lot of track day organizations you can get an instructor to work with her all day long. Depending on what group it is, there either Wont be passing allowed at all in Beginner for the first few sessions, and then only on the straights after that, or what would be even better is if its a beginner group where you can't pass until the instructor waves you by. If she had an instructor tagging along with her all day, they would only be passed when waved on, and nobody passes close to the staff. Just hit the group of instructors up before the first session of the day and let them know she is new and would like to be worked with, and more than likely they will be happy to do so.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #29
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i never taught pc to ride, i bought her a msf class and took it with her, were split up from day one, and it was for the best, let the teachers do the teaching, im her biggest cheerleader and she is one of the best riding partners i have

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #30
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Some TD companies have a complete beginner course, where there is NO passing allowed, at least for the first session. However, they classify the groups in class 1. One group will be complete noobs and they start at the back of the pack. The group of more experienced noobs usually won't catch up to the last pack in the first session. They will usually let you pass in the second session, but you are only passing another group of riders. Each group has their own instructor. If one group wants to pass, they do it on the straight, but only by following the instructor and staying within their spot in the group. This is the type of TD you want to find for your wife.

Other TD's have 3 classes, and each class can pass, but they limit class 1 to passing on the outside only. These are usually the TD's without any instructors, even for class 1...just get out there and ride. I don't think this would be a good idea for your wife, but I don't think you would do that to her.

If she has the basics down, I'd say get her out there. Just don't be the guy who is constantly ragging on her and telling her what she's doing wrong. Be as supportive as possible and I bet she'll have a great time.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote