Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Nice! My favorite subject.

I recently changed my diet completely and have been ecstatic with the results. I had been following a traditionally healthy diet, eating large portions of vegetables, moderate portions of fruit, rice and beans, quinoa, whole wheat, lean meats, egg whites, fat free cottage cheese, etc and small portions of olive oil, nuts, nut butter, and skim milk.

I have to make an honest effort to get 3k-4k calories a day to maintain 160lbs at 6' tall, which is where I prefer to stay, so I was having to count calories which fucking sucks. I wasn't as lean as I wanted to be, couldn't work off the last of my abdominal fat and more importantly I was constantly tired/sore and wasn't sleeping well.

I came across a book called "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. He lays out a convincing argument that labeling saturated fat as the culprit behind heart disease and obesity is complete bullshit. He argues that we should be using animal supplied fat for energy, protein for muscle repairing and very little sugar or carbs, as they are the real danger to our health and bodies. This is similar to Atkins, South Beach, etc etc....

So I figured, fuck it, I love bacon, lets give it a shot. I've been doing it for three weeks now. The only carbs I get come from a moderate amount of berries/melons and above-ground veggies, and the giant glasses of whole milk I use for my post-workout meal.

So far I've got tons of energy, my acne cleared up, athletic performance hasn't suffered, lost the fat that I'd been trying for months to get rid of and I don't have to take a nap in between workouts anymore.

I have a baseline blood test based on my body after 6 months on a very high fruit and vegetable content diet with meat perhaps only once per day, and lean meat at that. I'm going to compare it to a blood test after three months on this diet in which I eat butter, bacon and fatty meats at every meal.

No more counting calories or being hungry. Its midnight and I literally just ate a whole chicken minus 1/2 breast, plus 3 slices of bacon and a box of blackberries. You just eat when you're hungry until you're full....so far so good.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post

So far I've got tons of energy, my acne cleared up, athletic performance hasn't suffered, lost the fat that I'd been trying for months to get rid of and I don't have to take a nap in between workouts anymore.

I have a baseline blood test based on my body after 6 months on a very high fruit and vegetable content diet with meat perhaps only once per day, and lean meat at that. I'm going to compare it to a blood test after three months on this diet in which I eat butter, bacon and fatty meats at every meal.
Can't argue with results.
I'd be interested in hearing how the bloodwork comparison comes out.

I did one of those low carb diets (Protein Power, I believe) and the early-on benefits were good. It was just expensive and difficult to stick with.
Of course, I have a somewhat better budget now and more motivation to improve my physical condition.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Carbs bad? That's true for high-index carbs like cheap white flour, potatoes etc......but not low-index carbs like brown rice, yams, legumes etc.

And the problem with bacon has less to do with saturated fat, and more to do with it being processed meat with tons of potentially cancer-causing nitrates. Unprocessed meat is the way to go. Not man-created processed "meat" like bologna, salami, peperoni, hot dogs, bacon, etc.

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-22-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I know one thing, my wife did a no carb diet similar to Atkins and it fucked with her chemistry/hormones. She was a raging bitch all the time. She is not allowed to get rid of all carbs now.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Same here! My wife did the Atkins for a short time and I did it for about a week and decided it wasn't for me! I was literally starving as I was putting food in my mouth! Nothing satisfied me! I will say, it does work considering it's the same thing bodybuilders have been doing for years in prep for a contest but, I don't plan on ever doing that again!
My philosophy is simple. Don't eat like an idiot and exercise!
Granted, I don't follow that philosophy but, it's a good one nonetheless!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Josh, awesome that it's working for you. I once tried a similar diet and my body reacted the same way as Trip's wife. Maybe it's a female hormone issue? All I know, I won't be going on that again anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
My philosophy is simple. Don't eat like an idiot and exercise!
This is where I am.

Though, I've moved into a new house with a better kitchen that I can actually prepare meals in. And, a dedicated workout room. It helps.

The single track, I have a general idea where I want it. The deer have some paths that will help. And, the more we use their stuff the more it drives them away.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Can't argue with results.
I'd be interested in hearing how the bloodwork comparison comes out.

I did one of those low carb diets (Protein Power, I believe) and the early-on benefits were good. It was just expensive and difficult to stick with.
Of course, I have a somewhat better budget now and more motivation to improve my physical condition.
Fatty meats are usually the cheapest cuts so price-wise this has been working well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Carbs bad? That's true for high-index carbs like cheap white flour, potatoes etc......but not low-index carbs like brown rice, yams, legumes etc.

And the problem with bacon has less to do with saturated fat, and more to do with it being processed meat with tons of potentially cancer-causing nitrates. Unprocessed meat is the way to go. Not man-created processed "meat" like bologna, salami, peperoni, hot dogs, bacon, etc.
All carbs turn to sugar in your body and cause your body to release insulin to combat high blood sugar. Insulin forces that sugar into your fat cells and/or prevents your fat cells from releasing fat to use for energy. Before I changed diets all my carb sources were "clean" and the results were still shitty.

I use "un-cured" nitrate free bacon and have more on order from a semi-local, humane, clean pig farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I know one thing, my wife did a no carb diet similar to Atkins and it fucked with her chemistry/hormones. She was a raging bitch all the time. She is not allowed to get rid of all carbs now.
Atkins falls short because it doesn't incorporate enough fat into the plan, IMO. Most people are still trying to eat clean while on low-carbs. Low fat foods, lean meats, fish, fill up on veggies, etc. Your body doesn't use protein for fuel so if you're on low carbs and not eating big amounts of delicious fat then its not going to work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
Same here! My wife did the Atkins for a short time and I did it for about a week and decided it wasn't for me! I was literally starving as I was putting food in my mouth! Nothing satisfied me! I will say, it does work considering it's the same thing bodybuilders have been doing for years in prep for a contest but, I don't plan on ever doing that again!
There is absolutely no way you could eat one of my meals and still be hungry. My wife is making my breakfast right now. 4 pieces of bacon, 6 eggs cooked in that bacon grease, a fruit and vegetable smoothie with nut butter, avocado, spinach and blueberries, cottage cheese and whey protein.

Your lack of energy, like people's bad moods on Atkins, could have been caused by a fat deficiency. We have had it drilled into our heads for so long that fat is bad for you that its hard to get past that when doing something like this. You'd need more than one week to give it a fair shot I think.

-------I should also add that everyone's genetics are different and plans work in different ways for different folks. I'm likely responding so well to this because I grew up drinking 3 Dr. Peppers a day, bowls of cereal, tons of bread, pasta, candies, etc. etc....which has left me a bit insulin resistant.

-----------Also, I'm not advocating the diet just yet, I'm pretty much just regurgitating what I've been reading about it. I feel fucking great now, but who's to say I won't have a stroke or heart attack next week!
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Josh, awesome that it's working for you. I once tried a similar diet and my body reacted the same way as Trip's wife. Maybe it's a female hormone issue? All I know, I won't be going on that again anytime soon.
Again, probably a lack of fat. My wife is doing the same diet plan and having the same positive results as me. No mood swings or anything close to it. Yet.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Yeah, you really have to find a diet that works for you.

Since I just want to be healthy, not athletic, I don't go out of my way to avoid stuff. I just try smaller portions and staying away from a lot of obiviously bad for you food. Cut out a lot of the snacking I use to do and if I do get the urge, I try to have fruit/almonds/peanuts or similar on hand to at least make it not so bad.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

About 10 years ago, I lost 40lbs in 3 months on Atkins... well, Atkins and Bud Light on the weekends... Probably could have done it in two months without the drinking, but I got down to 185... with no exercise, I was actually pretty lean. Realistically, I could have gotten to 175, maybe 170 if I busted my ass.

Kept it off for about a year, then the weight started creeping... couldn't get disciplined, wasn't motivated, and finally just gave up. It's kind of interesting... I don't like being fat, but after a while you just accept it and shit gets real out of control then.

Just before Christmas, I peaked at 294. Fuck that. Immediately started eating better, working out a little, and lost about 28lbs before my wedding. Wedding, then honeymoon, and fell off the wagon again. I gained about 4lbs in two months, then started jiu jitsu. This is my 6th week and I've gained another 5lbs, though I feel like I'm actually leaner - ONSSP's commented as well.

Now with jits, I have something that REALLY motivates me to get healthy. It's not about looking good... I'm married and she signed up for the fat-guy special from the get go. It's about getting stronger, having more endurance, etc. I'm almost always the heaviest guy in class, but I'm also one of the strongest... if I could end up around 200, dropping the fat, and gaining about 15-20lbs of lean muscle, I think that'd be about perfect. I'd actually prefer to drop some leg mass, relocating it to the upper body... my calves are retarded.

Food today...

Breakfast: 1 slice of wheat toast (lightly buttered), 1/4 cup blackberries, a couple strawberries, 1/4 cup grapefruit, glass of soy milk

Snacks: 2.5 cups of raw carrots, 2.5 cups raw kale

Lunch: 6-oz chicken breast, boneless skinless

Dinner: TBD - most likely a chicken breast and some mixed veggies (frozen)

That'll be pretty much the standard, though I'll mix things up with various fruit, veggies, and nuts... the occassional steak or porkchop. I'll certainly go nuts from time to time and grill some chicken wings... Saturday's will be beer day.

Exercise will consist of jiu jitsu 3-4x per week, biking, kettlebell swings, body weight exercises, and lots and lots of stretching. Once I really start to lean out, the diet will change and I'll start really strength training.

That's the plan... let's see how it goes.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote