Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900
Default When should you hit the track??

As I've stated many times I am a very new rider. Jeeps has told me that before long he wants to take me to do a track day. I trust him completely(he's one of the best amature riders I've ever seen) and would never put me in harms way, but I am asking for other opions to get see what the "average" rider thinks.
When is a good time for a "beginer" to try out the track? Does it help you gain street skill? How experienced were you before you hit the track?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

It is my belief that you should at the very least have an inherent understanding of riding a motorcycle. Meaning, there are enough things to think about - you shouldn't have to think about how to shift.

Some of the best track experiences that I've witnessed have been those without a lot of experience on the street.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

track days are awesome. more than likely you will be placed in the beginners group because you have never been to a track. they have experienced riders teaching the classes, listen, learn, go out and have fun.

you will learn more in one day at the track than you will in months on the street.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
It is my belief that you should at the very least have an inherent understanding of riding a motorcycle. Meaning, there are enough things to think about - you shouldn't have to think about how to shift.

Some of the best track experiences that I've witnessed have been those without a lot of experience on the street.

What she said plus a long day of sitting around in the hot sun followed by short burst of off the wall pants shitting fun.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I went from MSF to track directly. But I'm not normal.

go when you're comfortable. If you have doubt, don't go. But don't be cocky about it either. Like M said, you should be comfortable on the bike, not have to 'think' about the basics. And not be scared of speed. Respect it but no fear. Fear will make you hesitate on the track and there is no room for hesitation.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
was92v
Nowhere Man

When you feel like you are comfortable enough to control panic. Fight, flight or freeze will get you or someone else hurt. When you can put panic reaction into a compartment and your mind and body can ride through it you will be OK. Once you realize that every fiber in your being wanted to stand the bike up and nail the brake, but instead you made yourself bend it in and make the turn, in spite of yourself, you are ready to expand your capabilities. Until that light comes on, you may be just be setting yourself up for trouble.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

MSF first, good track school second, then track day it up. Beginners should get a chance to learn in a controlled environment how to operate that machine before they are forced into traffic and congested areas. Earlier the better to learn the bikes capabilities and build confidence in the riders abilities!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

it's at a race track but it doesn't mean that you have to race.

the instructors will help you by giving you advice and slowing down and letting you follow them around the track.

as with anytime you ride your bike. ride your own ride. don't let anyone push you past what you feel comfortable doing.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

What Azoom said! I have heard from many instructors that they prefer riders that havent had a chance to learn many bad habits on the street. As long as you are comfortable on your bike, and you know what you are supposed to be doing to keep that bike up and moving, you are good to go. And I know Jeeps wouldnt put you in harms way. If he thinks you would like it and you want to do it, GO FOR IT!!

While I had ridden for abut a year before my first track day, I never had any clue until I got out there how much more I could learn and do with my bike, and after I did a track day I was 150% more confident in my skills and bike and so much a better rider for it. It taught me skills on my bike that I could carry onto the street to make me safer, wiser and more prepared to handle surprises. And I no longer feel a need to break my neck or push myself on the street, I save my need for pushing the limits to the track.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

Thanks guys!!! I knew I would get good information from all of you. I am excited about learning a new aspect of riding. I by no means think that I am ready to jump out there with the "big boys" but would love to learn from an experienced instructor. Keep the comments comming!

It will be a bit before I am able to hit the track. Being laid off sucks!!!! I will keep you posted when it happens.