http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/17/ob...control-defeat
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #1362
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Damn I wish I could find that youtube video of the guy walking up into the mountains of Afghanistan and passing thru this area of tents and caves where dozens of workers are pounding out AK-47's by the THOUSANDS using very primitive hand tools and smelting processes.

I can't remember the number but it was VERY few people (several KIDS and elderly) pumping out hundreds of AK's a day.

One of the truly easiest guns to hand forge from scratch.

I've owned 2, and numerous norinco SKS's but it'd be neat as hell to build one like you're doing. But I'd only do it with you somewhere in reasonable driving distance from me so I could get you to unfuck what I did the night before

Having said that....I hope my 10.5" barrel for my AR pistol build comes in today My 80% lower is off for engraving and ceracoting
Building an AK is by no means Rocket Science (After all they were designed to be built by people who had Vodka for Breakfast.) I would encourage you to give it a go. Once the Barrel is Head spaced it really is about can you live with your rivet work. The worst case involves drilling or grinding out a rivet and starting again. I have done about 7 of these now (one is 3/4 done the bench right now). Oh and Post up how your receiver comes out.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #1363
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

jerry miculek on 1911's

goto 20min to see him speed shoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xgs3nse8rW0
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 04-26-2013 at 12:55 PM..
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #1364
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F1nPSNnaBo
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #1365
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobanger View Post
I'd prefer a reenactment of something that really happened... There are plenty of stories to choose from... This video is easily countered by a Hollywood version in which the bad guys always miss and the good guy only needed two bullets - both fictional.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #1366
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I'd prefer a reenactment of something that really happened... There are plenty of stories to choose from... This video is easily countered by a Hollywood version in which the bad guys always miss and the good guy only needed two bullets - both fictional.
A police study that I read years back, that was based on US statistics, that said most gun battles took place at less than 30 feet, involved both sides emptying their weapons, and only rarely involved gunshot injuries.

And that was a study of trained professionals.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #1367
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
A police study that I read years back, that was based on US statistics, that said most gun battles took place at less than 30 feet, involved both sides emptying their weapons, and only rarely involved gunshot injuries.

And that was a study of trained professionals.
Yeah, there's a LOT of that. The majority, something like 98%, of defensive gun use cases a shot is never even fired.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #1368
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

Most street/patrol cops aren't really trained as well as folks think they are. In the Dorner case the women's pickup was shot at over one hundred times and they just collected 4 million dollars. The 19 year old terrorist had no gun, and they shot the heck out of the boat in a one sided gunfight and didn't kill him. Go through any of the New York City cop shootings where they shoot a crazy amount of shots and miss almost all of them. Unless its SWAT for a major urban area, the average American match shooter is way way more capable than a "trained professional" cop that only shoots quals twice a year.

Last edited by Twobanger; 05-01-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #1369
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

This PSA/scenario/whatever is intended to be a situation graphically showing the potential consequences to a law abiding citizen as a result of the capacity limit that was passed into law in New York earlier this year, and the magazine capacity limits that were voted down in the Senate and not a stand alone "pro gun" piece. If it were a stand alone, a reenactment of actual events would indeed be a much better way to go.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #1370
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobanger View Post
the average American match shooter is way way more capable than a "trained professional" cop that only shoots quals twice a year.
And yet have ANY special forces member take a "match shooter" thru a "house" under stress conditions and he won't hit jack squat!

I say that sitting here armchair quarterbacking I know....but I'll GLADLY admit I'm no match shooter, though I shoot "well". Nor am I special forces. My comment comes second hand as my uncle is the former firearms instructor for Charlotte police, former ranger, and currently working private security detail in Iraq who's been spending the last several years teaching civilians in Iraq how to shoot in "house" situations.
He use to get SUCH a kick out of the stories of officers missing 90% of what they shot at in REAL shootouts. Even the swat guys.

From what he says, they simply lack the training PERIOD. Even the swat guys, and as you saw in BOTH situations he's right.

But I wouldn't BEGIN to agree that the average American match shooter is way way more capable! Even 3-gun (MAD respect for 3-gun shooters!) Shooting a stationary target with surgical precision, when you can time your trigger pull between heart beats, and hitting the broad side of a barn that has the potential of firing BACK at you with the INTENTION of taking your life?!?! Vastly different!
Hell...I dunno if you could hear anything BUT your heart POUNDING in your ears under THAT kind of stress?!?! And Hopefully I never find out. But I would IMAGINE under that kind of duress you're lucky if your not blind from the pre-staged of a stress migraine (fuzzy vision....if you've had a true migraine you know what I mean)

Having said that....IMHO police (especially swat) need more training before being released to handle these situations.