Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-22-2008, 04:17 AM   #221
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

How do you like your shock collar?

I was thinking about picking one up for my jack russell to use for off leash training and eventually just to keep around for situations when I would want to let him lose.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #222
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post

I was thinking about picking one up for my jack russell to use for off leash training and eventually just to keep around for situations when I would want to let him lose.
Use one for Manny. They work...usually...but if he wants to run off he's still gonna do it. He knows eventually the shocking will stop and keeps running.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #223
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

That is a beautiful dog Gas Man! Makes me miss the big breeds, we had Great Danes all the time I was growing up.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #224
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
When their ears are floppy(uncut) they are more prone to infections and hematoma's.

Dew claws are removed because they serve no purpose and if they were to ever catch on anything, the pain is sever. It's better to remove them as a new born.

Tails were docked to prevent the tails form getting bitten or pulled on when they were herding bulls or other animals. It is done in a humane way so that they do not feel it at all. They tie a sting or place a clamp around the tail before the puppies are 3 days old. Eventually the tail falls off. Remember the puppy doesn't even have his eyes open at that point and are completely unaware of it happening. It continues to be done today because that is considered to be the breed standard and dogs are penalized heavily at dog shows for having their tails in tact. Ear cropping is now optional on many breeds.
using the doberman for an example, ears are also cropped to provide a directional hearing ability

brinks is gettin huge gas!
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #225
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:

I got the Innotek
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753879

It was $200 but its waterproof and the both ends are really small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
That is a beautiful dog Gas Man! Makes me miss the big breeds, we had Great Danes all the time I was growing up.
We wanted a big dog. Something that can make people stand off when he's full sized. But something said about 120# Uma walking a 150#+ dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
using the doberman for an example, ears are also cropped to provide a directional hearing ability

brinks is gettin huge gas!
We were looking at Dobermans... and he would have got his ears cropped... but we just don't think Brinks would look as good with the ears cropped. We think the big ears match his big cheaks

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #226
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

We wanted a big dog. Something that can make people stand off when he's full sized. But something said about 120# Uma walking a 150#+ dog.

I hear ya, the last male Great Dane my folks had was 36 inches at the shoulder and 165 lbs. He would eat 50 lbs of dry food in under 2 weeks and all the table scraps. My mom would have to boil a chicken now and then for him when there weren't enough scraps to add to his food. That's the only problem with the big dogs, its like feeding a teen age boy

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #227
Dova80
Canyon Carver

Moto: MV Agusta

Quote:

POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT! I would never recommend a shock collar....

start small, in the back yard get him to walk around with you off leash, you want to hold a toy at your at your left shoulder with your right hand while telling him to heel or whatever command you want for him to walk at your side(make sure he see's the toy and he wants it). Start walking around with him once he starts walking with you for a few steps he receives the positive reinforcement, then you start pushing it out longer... but always play in the end. If you can do this about 5-10 times a day for only 5-10 mins a time he will pick it up in no time. Eventually you will have to hide the toy and use the command then surprise him with play time. You will be shocked at how quickly he will pick it up and he will WANT to do it which is most important.

Eventually you will want to throw in distractions, then when he is still doing good you can start taking him to public places and trying it.

Dog in general want to please the alpha, and will usually do what it takes to make him/her happy especially if they get something out of it.

We can make assumptions all day, and you know what they say about assuming. It means you're a fucking moron.
Dova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #228
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

The problem is that the powerfull breeds will try to fight for the alpha dog position. And I know that with mine, no physicall means will get is attention when he's being "ballsy" better than a little zap

Run Amsoil Product
Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #229
Dova80
Canyon Carver

Moto: MV Agusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
The problem is that the powerfull breeds will try to fight for the alpha dog position. And I know that with mine, no physicall means will get is attention when he's being "ballsy" better than a little zap
I suppose Rotts, Pitt Bulls, Boxers, Dobermans, German Shepard, S.A. Boerboels, AM Staffs and a little with the Cane Corso breed are not powerful breeds?

Here is a picture of one of the dogs having a bit of fun. This was taken the first time Bane was taken into training... Now this is not Bane but one of the many dogs we worked with that day. There were NO shock collars. These dogs work because they enjoy it, not because they are forced to.

I currently have a 145lbs rottie, and a 15lbs dachshund both intact males and I can guarantee that there is not pushing between the two. They know I am the alpha and I will not tolerate any aggression between the two of them.

Power has nothing to do with the breed fighting for the Alpha position. This is just the way dogs work, if a dog sense's that he might be able to force out the alpha and replace him the dog will. Same as when the Alpha becomes sick the entire pack will turn on him and kill him only to better the pack.

The dog should not get "ballsy" that is the part of the owner to keep the animal in check. The animal should know who is the alpha but a shock collar does not prove to the animal who is in charge. But is sure is a good way to ruin a dog if not used properly...

We can make assumptions all day, and you know what they say about assuming. It means you're a fucking moron.

Last edited by Dova80; 11-23-2008 at 01:01 AM..
Dova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #230
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Well say what you want. You CAN NOT train a powerfull breed dog the same way you do a lab or retriever. Lab's and retrievers DO NOT act the same or as challenging to anybody or any other dog.

I used the shock collar at the house to control him better when he gets out of line. Sure he would be better behaved if I ran him out more, but working 60+ hrs a week doesn't offer much free time for such. You will rarely ever have problems with tired dogs. Further walking with the dog aids in the alpha roles. But as i said, I don't always have that time for doing this everyday. He gets walked and other forums of interataction.

But I ran the collar for about a month, maybe 6 weeks. And now he rarely ever needs it. It was a tool that I used, nothing more different than a kennel. People use kennels for all sorts of reasons whether it be potty training or punishment. The dogs don't always like it but people do it anyway. That is not to say that we all will agree with each other on training.

I personally don't agree with sleeve training. I believe it breeds aggressive behavior in the dogs, especially the powerfull breeds. Police K9 dogs do this but they receive round the clock training far beyond what most normal owners would give. They have to be vicous on command to a criminal but soft/gental enough to let 1st graders maul them at school. But again, these dogs aren't the norm nor their training.

My dogs father and siblings were sleeve trained. I did some time with his father at the breeders house. It was an amazing thing, however, that dog hated me all the time, wanted to eat me all the time. I believe its the contridiction from soft vs sleeve agressive that causes some dogs to "snap" if in the wrong position.

Perhaps I'm completely wrong, perhaps not. Perhaps the 3 trainers I have consulted with are complete morons, perhaps not. Some are fine with shock collars and others are against it. Some believe Ceasar Milan is too hard on dogs, some don't. All I know is that fora 5.5 month old puppy my dog listens to me and is very well behaved. At the end of the day something I have done or not done has worked.

If my dog gets out of line or does something wrong I tell him so, one way or the other. Shcok collar, he still understands, I can tell by his reactions to the shock and to me.

Which by the way, powerfull breeds doesn't only mean their size, it also has to do with their mentality.

And at the end of today... I didn't create this thread to debate training, just share the good times Brinks and the family & friends are having.

Also, that is one great looking Rot I have always loved Rots. They are such a big muscle bound dog that are usually giant teddy bears.

Run Amsoil Product