Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 07-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

he has been asked about it many times... he says he is just adjusting his leathers... all that braking force into the corners gets your panties twisted in a bit of a wad sometimes

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

I'm sure everyone here knows about countersteer. Push on the left bar, go left (not right as many might assume). Try this: Stomp your left peg, and see what happens. Yep, that's right, you turn left.

In fact, the fastest way to change direction (a lifesaver when some fucktard pulls out in front of you on the street) is to both push the left bar, and stomp the left peg, at the same time.

I'm just guessing here, but think the doctor may be using this phenomenon to his advantage to make the bike turn in faster...
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

...oh, and he's coming off the ball of his foot, and moving to the toes, to maximize clearance (this is also the default position for pocketbike racing, the form of racing that Rossi came from). He may just be stretching his leg before he tucks it in.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I'm sure everyone here knows about countersteer. Push on the left bar, go left (not right as many might assume). Try this: Stomp your left peg, and see what happens. Yep, that's right, you turn left.

In fact, the fastest way to change direction (a lifesaver when some fucktard pulls out in front of you on the street) is to both push the left bar, and stomp the left peg, at the same time.

I'm just guessing here, but think the doctor may be using this phenomenon to his advantage to make the bike turn in faster...
in the picture provided though, it looks like they are going into a right hand turn and his right foot is off the peg.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
in the picture provided though, it looks like they are going into a right hand turn and his right foot is off the peg.
Which is entirely congruent with what I'm saying.

Stomp the right peg, and you turn right.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:

Nah, he's not stomping, he could do that without lifting the leg. If you watch it, it's a very slow movement to stick the leg out and not something you would do if you were stomping with the other side. Almost looks like he is doing a stablization movement as if he was walking a wire in the circus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:

I tried the whole "body steering" vs. "counter steering" thing years back and figured out that all body steering was doing, was imparting a sloppy counter steer input to the handlebars. It took a fair bit of on-track analysis to come to that conclusion, but eventually I got there. Code ultimately proved the superiority of counter steering with his body steering bike, but I got there before him

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I tried the whole "body steering" vs. "counter steering" thing years back and figured out that all body steering was doing, was imparting a sloppy counter steer input to the handlebars. It took a fair bit of on-track analysis to come to that conclusion, but eventually I got there. Code ultimately proved the superiority of counter steering with his body steering bike, but I got there before him
So do you sit straight up in the seat when you go through corners or not put any input to the handlebars at all?

How I do it is use my body for the majority of steering, then use countersteering to make minor adjustments to my line.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
So do you sit straight up in the seat when you go through corners or not put any input to the handlebars at all?

How I do it is use my body for the majority of steering, then use countersteering to make minor adjustments to my line.
Counter steering induces lean. Lean makes you corner. Centre of gravity alters lean once it has been created, which changes your line.

You can induce lean by yanking your whole body to the side but the amount that you induce will be small when compared to what you get from counter steering and the faster you go, the less lean you can get that way because of gyroscopic stabilization.

Trust me here; it isn't your body that's making the major inputs.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 07-06-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #10
zippychickie636
Street Stunter

Moto: 2005 zx6r (636)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
he has been asked about it many times... he says he is just adjusting his leathers... all that braking force into the corners gets your panties twisted in a bit of a wad sometimes
lol.
zippychickie636 is offline   Reply With Quote