Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 10-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
For sport/touring, no one ever mentions the most important (to me anyway) thing that can't be fixed by a higher windscreen, higher bars, better seat, etc. And that is vibration. The Busa has a mean vibration around 4,500. I would get the Blackbird. It's smooth as silk, quick, and comfortable. And for only $4K: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/839913256.html. What a steal.
I am have an 05 Busa and have never noticed any sort of vibration at 4500 mine had a slight stumble right around 3800. On My 05 I went with the Beull Pegs (drops them about 1.25 inches and cost $25) anthe Heli Bars wich raises themabout 1.5 inches and opens them about .25 inches then added the heated grips
The BB's are nice though and if you can find a good one at the right price I certainly would land on it.
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #12
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
thats no shit, it was like riding with a friggin CAR! I kept having to check as I thought a car was right up my exhaust, but noooooo, just Ebbs and those HIDs...

I kinda agree with Nh on this one, as long as you arent stupid with the power, the busa does make for a great touring bike...

On the other choices..hmm, i know the yzf's are a good ride, but not too much input on the others...
so what your saying is you couldn't stop stare'n at my headlights... but wouldn't show me yours...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #13
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Dude, I think you have big fucking rats in your house. In your sig I see something scurry across the floor.
thats my kitten max returning from a playful romp in the basement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
Pardon me for pointing out the obvious! But a Busa or ZX14 the Connie14 are all going to be superior sport touring machines with the ZX14 and Busa being the stronger on the sport side. The only one on your list I have saddle time on is the CBR1100 and I can say without any question in my mind that a Gen 1 busa handles better and rides smoother with better braking. Mileage is at your wrist and with it range The new Gen2 are reported to be a better bike still for touring (no saddle time here) I notice you didn’t mention anything accept jap bikes leaving out the Duc Touring Machines the BMWs the Sprints .
If budget is your thing take a long look at a 04 – 07 up Hard core Busa owners are jumping up to the Gen 2s and any number of wannabes who bought then and left them sitting and are now trying to escape the payment
busas are so common here you cant even spit at the ground without hitting one. i dont care how good the bike may be, i aint riding it if a hundred other fuckers do too. proof for my point. type hayabusa into ebaymotors. theres about NINETY listings...compare that to any other bike you can think of (gsx-r excluded those are also out for the same reasons, though i do find the old pre srad era 750s with the double glass headlights under plastic oddly attractive) the zx-14 is unbelieveably ugly...case closed. and the new connie..well i actually like the new connie quite a bit. 'specially in that new black. problem with it is its wayy too new. im sorta working in the theoretical budget of around 4k, less if possible. gotta pay that mortgage you know? though in a perfect world id looove a black connie 14 with a zx14 turbo kit. super sleeper anyway to answer the second half of this, i'll address all three individually. ducs: non ss versions look wierd as hell, are still expensive, and have lower intervals between service than a big four inline. bmw: waaay too wierd looking for me. only one i really like is the hp2 sport and perhaps the s1000rr whenever they release photos of the production version. triumph: i actually like sprints a lot but i only care for the newer ones with the triple headlight layout. the older 955i twin light ones are mildly hideous. again here, price. im sure now that this can of worms has been opened marco is gonna jump in here and start pushing firebolts and sportys lol
TWF Post whore #6

Last edited by Dave; 10-09-2008 at 12:28 AM..
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #14
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

the new Triumph sprints newer models with the tripple headlights... as odd as it is... their headlights SUCK... every review I read said that... a friend had one in AK and he said they're the worst headlights he's ever had on any bike... he's ridden for 19 years. don't know how much that effects your choice though
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I cant believe nobody has mentioned the CBR1000F, the 87-96 models like No Worries has. only about half a second slower in the 1/4 mile than an 05 1kRR but still VERY sport touring capable.

I'd take just about any decent bike honestly. The newer CBR600RR would be sweet with some mild bar risers to bring those bars up about 2" and back a little, make it a little bit more relaxed and put a taller windscreen on it.

ANY bike really can be made into a sport tourer, you just gotta know how to accessorize it right. Personally, I'd like an FJR1300, just keep it pretty much stock and I'd rock the hell outta it.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #16
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
damn that's really good... but weren't you telling me that the bike was geared up? (cause the previous owner was scared of the power?) if that's the case then yes... you'd get better gas mileage as the motors running at a lower pace at freeway speeds.
Its got stock gearing on it now. This is also with quite a few power mods, and i think its running a little rich (a fair bit of build up on the inside of the exhaust tip.)
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #17
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
ANY bike really can be made into a sport tourer, you just gotta know how to accessorize it right. Personally, I'd like an FJR1300, just keep it pretty much stock and I'd rock the hell outta it.
FJ's rock but aren't cheap. Stay the F away from the RF 6 or 9. They r just old school gixxers and just as uncomfortable.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #18
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Yes I would agree the Busa is a relatively common rig witch ironically makes them less expensive and easier to maintain and have a larger aftermarket supply of parts. Sadly the reason you see so many of them for sale is that the people that bought them had no real clue as to what they were buying.
At the price point you have identified I would be searching for a BB myself. A sport touring machine by design by people that redefined the Touring Market it is hard to beat. (Just a silly question ever ridden a Goldwing of any era? If you get a chance try one it is a hell of lot more of a sport bike that most people imagine and maintained they easily make 200k miles with no difficulty)
Having ridden the new Connie I will tell you is a Great cross between my Goldwing and my Busa Great ride and smooth balls to the wall performance . They are a tough package to beat at their price point.
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #19
Earlzach
Trailer Queen

I still have my Near mint 2001 Yamaha FZ1 (1000cc) is for sale. New rubber front and back, Soft sportbags included. And I am only like 40 minutes from you. (if your in Cherry Hill)
Let me know. Its on ebay right now but I'll end it if you want it. The bike is very powerfull and fast. And clean with clear title in hand.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlzach View Post
I still have my Near mint 2001 Yamaha FZ1 (1000cc) is for sale. New rubber front and back, Soft sportbags included. And I am only like 40 minutes from you. (if your in Cherry Hill)
Let me know. Its on ebay right now but I'll end it if you want it. The bike is very powerfull and fast. And clean with clear title in hand.
see when i said yzf, i meant 97 yzf the thunderace was arguably the last of the old school 1000s after the fireblade changed all the rules
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote