Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Since everybody has been doing round trip, mine have been 670 and 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Riding a motorcycle is an adventure. Why not make getting it an adventure too!
Absolutely. Could I have gotten a bike for just a bit more around town, yes. But we still laugh about my trips. The first one I went with a friend in his truck, in the middle of the night, in the middle of a snowstorm, and the guy almost didnt wake up because he had the flu. And my friend fell asleep at the wheel too. But hey, the guy gave us Capri Suns and candy bars for the drive back....

The VF was a specialty bike, so I had to go that far to find one. That one I went by myself. On the way back I hit torrential downpours where I couldnt even see the road, I missed my turn somewhere, and I got lost in BFN in the middle of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Furthest was when I traded my ZX10 for the Motard at about 1AM in the middle of BFE... 252mi away. That sucked. Didn't get home till almost 4am, and felt like a creep driving around with a motorcycle in the back of truck that late at night. Ya I had all the paperwork but honestly, it's in the wee hours of the morning, I'm tired, I'm pissed, I have to piss and the last thing I wanted to do was explain why I had a motorcycle in my truck to a cop who pulled me over because hes bored.

Needless to say I'm not a fan of traveling to get a bike. I'll wait and find a deal locally or I won't bother. There's no point in saving $1000 over the phone and using $1000 in gas to go get it only to possibly find out it either doesn't exist or a dealer wants to rape me on unspoken charges. I know it isn't always the case, but there isn't a bike in existence that is worth it to me.
Or that it isnt in as good of shape as advertised. But I like doing my traveling at night. No cars, no traffic, less cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
No way asshole... I didn't ride THERE to get the bike... I just ended up with it and rode it back... I believe the intent of this thread was to identify how far people have gone with the purpose of buying a bike.
Eh, that is still a long ride...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
picked up the hardley locally?
Yeah I have bought all 3 Harleys from my local dealer.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Since everybody has been doing round trip, mine have been 670 and 800.

Absolutely. Could I have gotten a bike for just a bit more around town, yes. But we still laugh about my trips. The first one I went with a friend in his truck, in the middle of the night, in the middle of a snowstorm, and the guy almost didnt wake up because he had the flu. And my friend fell asleep at the wheel too. But hey, the guy gave us Capri Suns and candy bars for the drive back....

The VF was a specialty bike, so I had to go that far to find one. That one I went by myself. On the way back I hit torrential downpours where I couldnt even see the road, I missed my turn somewhere, and I got lost in BFN in the middle of the night.

Or that it isnt in as good of shape as advertised. But I like doing my traveling at night. No cars, no traffic, less cops.

Eh, that is still a long ride...

my wife likes hearing/telling the stories of our adventures in getting the bikes but isnt always keen on expierencing them. She wasnt too fond of the long drive home from VT.

Plus when I bought the buell she got to meet marko
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #24
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
No way asshole... I didn't ride THERE to get the bike... I just ended up with it and rode it back... I believe the intent of this thread was to identify how far people have gone with the purpose of buying a bike.
You magically appeared in Colorado... sweet!

It counts, man. You went there with the specific purpose of buying the motorcycle then rode it home. How do you think everyone else got to the bike they were going to buy? They didn't ride a bike there and throw it in a ditch... most flew or drove to get to it.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #25
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
You magically appeared in Colorado... sweet!

It counts, man. You went there with the specific purpose of buying the motorcycle then rode it home. How do you think everyone else got to the bike they were going to buy? They didn't ride a bike there and throw it in a ditch... most flew or drove to get to it.
I think he is trying to say that he was already in Colorado without the intent of buying a bike, stumbled upon one while he was there, and then rode it home?

I may be wrong...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
shmike
Follower

I want to hear the OSP Colorado story.

I think it is different than some of you are assuming.

My last bike was about 650 miles from my house. Based on the specs and the pedigree, it was worth the trip.

It also happened to work perfectly that I picked the bike up on the way to Deals Gap so the total trip "out of the way" was only about 20 miles.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I think he is trying to say that he was already in Colorado without the intent of buying a bike, stumbled upon one while he was there, and then rode it home?

I may be wrong...
You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I want to hear the OSP Colorado story.

I think it is different than some of you are assuming.

My last bike was about 650 miles from my house. Based on the specs and the pedigree, it was worth the trip.

It also happened to work perfectly that I picked the bike up on the way to Deals Gap so the total trip "out of the way" was only about 20 miles.
Short version: X-country ride with Drewpy, my Buell shit the bed and I had to buy a new bike or end the trip.

Long version: http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1551
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #28
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Short version: X-country ride with Drewpy, my Buell shit the bed and I had to buy a new bike or end the trip.

Long version: http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1551
I thought so.