Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #81
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I don't see your point? these days the performance aspect of these bikes is so close that you need to be racing WERA to tell the diffrence in lap times...
The October, 2008 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News tested the 2008 CBR1000RR. They liked it. But the main thing was that "it was easy to ride fast." One of the testers has a 1098S. He rode it as fast as the 1098, but with half the effort. Within three laps on the CBR, he was equaling the 1098. Two sessions later, he knocked off 3.5 seconds. That's a lot. The next day, he sold his 1098 and bought a CBR.

In my book, "easy to ride quickly, with less effort" is way more important than ten more horsepower, ten less pounds, or 10 more MPH.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #82
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

I've ridden a lot of bikes. Some of them were miserable after 15 minutes- like the SV650S. It positively killed my back over a 20-25 minute demo, and the gauge positioning sucks. The R6 wasn't quite as bad on my back, but worse on the neck- the engine was fun though. The RSV1000R is one of the sexiest bikes ever, but was a bitch to turn into a parking lot. The B-King is a complete hooligan bike, but is ridiculously wide, and hideous.

Point is, there are things I can live with in a bike, and things I can't. UGLY is not something I can live with. Neither is looking at the front tire to see my tach/speedo, or shooting pain in my back/neck, or having my knees three feet apart, or having something jab into my thigh every time I move, or not being able to make a tight low speed turn.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #83
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
The October, 2008 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News tested the 2008 CBR1000RR. They liked it. But the main thing was that "it was easy to ride fast." One of the testers has a 1098S. He rode it as fast as the 1098, but with half the effort. Within three laps on the CBR, he was equaling the 1098. Two sessions later, he knocked off 3.5 seconds. That's a lot. The next day, he sold his 1098 and bought a CBR.

In my book, "easy to ride quickly, with less effort" is way more important than ten more horsepower, ten less pounds, or 10 more MPH.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #84
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:

i wonder if he had adjusted the base suspension. i keep hearing that ducati's factory settings on the new bikes are awful
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #85
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
well I've preached before... but State Farm FTMFW... never had anything but positive things to say about them. I've had my cars broken into a couple times, within a week the check was in my hands, and I'm insured in Oregon, the break ins happened in Cali and AK.

now with the fiasco of my wreck... it involved 5 different offices (my state farm office in OR, the total loss office in OR, Local Office in NE, Total Loss in NE, and local office in Fargo ND. My accident happened on Wed the 17th... I called and reported it on Thurs the 18th... by Monday they knew what I'd be reimbursed and I'm just waiting on my title to be sent from AK to trade for the check.

also turns out they may be reimbursing me for my Uhaul ($1100) from Chi to Fargo because I needed to make a flight home.

needless to say... they've got my buisness for along time to come... and I'll pay a extra for service like that.
Same here. Ive been with state farm since I started driving and have never had anything but pleasant experiences with them. And my rates have always been very fair. Ill be staying with them for quite a while.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #86
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i wonder if he had adjusted the base suspension. i keep hearing that ducati's factory settings on the new bikes are awful
The tester owned his 1098 and had ridden it at that track many times. So we can assume he had set up the suspension correctly. But going the same speed as the Duc with only half the effort on the CBR would make me buy an RR if I was going racing. The magazine said the RR was soft below 4K, but that's where I do a lot of riding.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #87
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

The 1000RR is the bike to beat now.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #88
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
The tester owned his 1098 and had ridden it at that track many times. So we can assume he had set up the suspension correctly. But going the same speed as the Duc with only half the effort on the CBR would make me buy an RR if I was going racing. The magazine said the RR was soft below 4K, but that's where I do a lot of riding.
sposedly the american tune leaves A LOT on the table compared to the euro maps. pcIII oughtta be the first thing done. 'course with everybody leaning the fuck out of new bikes from the factory so they can pass our ridiculous emissions laws, that should be a universal truth
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #89
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Big Zuk fan here. Ill wait on some real changes and improvements before I buy another one.