Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #41
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
There are a lot of shitty ass Pit Bull owners, yes. This breed has been selected to be the current tough guy dog by every thug in all the hoods from NY to CA. Before them it was the Rottweiler and before them it was the Doberman.

All the problems you describe, running off, crawling on guests, not fetching etc and not going to the dog part are all 100% issues caused by people. They are a very intelligent breed, loyal, great with children, powerful, determined, decent olfactory equipment, robust and healthy (few genetic issues) and have amusing fun loving personalities. They can do search and rescue work, run agility, or just serve as a good exercise partner.

I rescued my Pit from the shelter at 3 months old. He does not jump on people, ever. He goes to the dog park 3-4 times a week and despite being jumped a couple of times has never been in a fight. He fetches in and out of the water, runs miles upon end by my side (while I'm a bicycle), and is learning to run agility and frisbee. He also learns new commands much, much faster than my Lab does and is EXTREMELY receptive to training. In fact, training is its own reward with him. He has learned all this and is only 6 months old now.

All of your friends need to pick up a book and learn something about dogs before they find themselves in trouble.

Very good post.

I agree with some other post here as well like the Pit being the GSXR of the dog world but this one is spot on.

I'll have to scan/post some of my pics. I have not owned a Pit in years so all of my pics are old.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #42
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Real shame that people feel that way Smittie, but little can be done to change people's pre-conceived notions.
People have taken grizzly bears and made them pets or they can make them ride a tricycle. But they are people who understand them very well and know how to properly raise them better than many people can raise a dog. Just like you and how you know how to properly raise a pitbull. Just because some people can raise a bear to be friendly doens't mean it'd make a great pet if "owners just knew how to raise them".

But most poeple don't have that knowledge and I think you can take the same shitty owner and give them a pitbull and a black lab and the black lab is more likely to not be aggresive.

My pre-conceived notion is that one dog breed is genetically different than another dog breed. If not then we'd only have one kind of dog out there. I think you can make a pitbull a great pet but it takes a lot of knowledge and skill to raise them that way. It doesn't take that much knowledge or skill to raise a non-aggresive labrador.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #43
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

Food for thought.

I've owned ABPT's my entire life, since I was a child. We also had Labs and other dogs too.

Guess what I got bitten by?? My nice gentle labrador. ( 18 stitches.)
Never once been bitten my a pit, either mine or any others.

My training of my pits is the same as Josh's.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #44
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
People have taken grizzly bears and made them pets or they can make them ride a tricycle. But they are people who understand them very well and know how to properly raise them better than many people can raise a dog. Just like you and how you know how to properly raise a pitbull. Just because some people can raise a bear to be friendly doens't mean it'd make a great pet if "owners just knew how to raise them".

But most poeple don't have that knowledge and I think you can take the same shitty owner and give them a pitbull and a black lab and the black lab is more likely to not be aggresive.

My pre-conceived notion is that one dog breed is genetically different than another dog breed. If not then we'd only have one kind of dog out there. I think you can make a pitbull a great pet but it takes a lot of knowledge and skill to raise them that way. It doesn't take that much knowledge or skill to raise a non-aggresive labrador.
I'm not denying that dogs have different genetic makeup, we made them that way. However, it does not take any special training to raise a Pit Bull. There is no mystery system to subdue a Pit Bull's "aggressive nature" and keep them from attacking humans. I raise my Pit just as I raise my San Miguel Dog and my Labrador Retriever.

Strong minded, independent thinking dogs like Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dobermans, Boxers and so on have certain requirements that need to be filled or they will start going crazy. This does not show a genetic predisposition to attacking humans, it shows a higher level of intelligence and a strong work ethic. Yes, you need to know what you're doing to own a Pit Bull...but the exact same is true of all working breeds.

Pit Bulls are one of the least likely breeds to bite a human. Why? Because we genetically engineered them to never bite people under any circumstance. In the fighting ring dogs that turned on their handler who was breaking up a fight were culled or euthanized. In fact, they are not even the best guard dog out there because of their usual unwillingness to bite people. Now you will think to yourself, but I see on the news all the time about people getting mauled by Pit Bulls.

True, the news covers every Pit Bull attack they can find. Pit Bull is a scary name and it makes for good headlines. In the hands of the family that raised the dogs that make the news any other breed would've met a similar fate. Furthermore, many of the dogs the media calls Pit Bulls are mutts or Boxers.

The worse part about it all is extreme over breeding. I take my dogs walking every day, and without fail someone will stop me and ask if I want to breed my Pit Bull. They never ask about my other two dogs because Pit Bulls are money right now. With more dogs comes more incidents, and it is true that scum are attracted to the Pit Bull breed. Seriously, I can't stand most Pit Bull owners.

Last point. Out of my three dogs, without question, the most likely to bite a human is my female Chocolate Lab.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #45
Ninjakel
Post whorette

I get people asking me to stud Loki out.

Um, I neutered BOTH my dogs at 7 months old.

Out of both my boys, my Boxer I think would actually be more agressive. My Pit is a total submissive.

But they both get along with other dogs. My Pit ignores strange dogs.

and Tig, your Rhodesian is gorgeous

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #46
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

We used to have a lab living with us.

She was definitely more aggressive than my boxer.

If you ignorantly said you disliked black ppl, everybody would jump down your throat. Yet, they're always on the news. La riots? Lotsa black ppl. Do you dislike black ppl too because they're genetically different? Sounds a bit retarded doesn't it?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #47
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
If you ignorantly said you disliked black ppl, everybody would jump down your throat. Yet, they're always on the news. La riots? Lotsa black ppl. Do you dislike black ppl too because they're genetically different? Sounds a bit retarded doesn't it?
That's different. They are being kept down by "The Man" and can't help it.
But from what I am gathering if we renamed the pitbull from Pitbull to Fluffy Sunshine and rainbows they'd be in the news less?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #48
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
That's different. They are being kept down by "The Man" and can't help it.
But from what I am gathering if we renamed the pitbull from Pitbull to Fluffy Sunshine and rainbows they'd be in the news less?
Not exactly. You'd also have to make them less attractive to scum and put an end to the rampant over breeding.

Actually...the new name might just work.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #49
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Um I have had labs come after me, but never a pit. Choc lab down the street came after me and my rottie several times. It all boils down to personal experience.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #50
Ninjakel
Post whorette

All the guys on the south florida forum will tell you that my Pit just wants to have his belly scratched

Josh was with us down here when he picked up Loki as a 6 week old pup.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman