Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Xmas ride

So I'm planning a ride up to my parents for Xmas... it'll only be one way as I'm picking up my girlfriends truck and driving it home...

I plan to leave about the 20th or 21st of Dec... I'm taking my time so not sure how long it'll take me... but I'm meeting my Girlfriend in Soux Falls on the 23rd... so I may go all the way to Fargo then come back down...

figure I'll leave as early as possible... ride as far as I want... and get a room. repeat. figure I'll get 5-600 miles in the first day... no rush... all back roads... staying of the freeway almost completely the entire trip. should be around 1700 miles so it'll kill off my D606's good thing I'm not riding back down!

My steed will be my 09 DRZ400s...

So heated gear is pretty much out of the question with the limited power of the stator. but as I've been riding it every day in the high 40's I think I'll be alright with a couple layers, frequent stops, and a naughty pic of my girl on the bars to keep me warm

Right now I need to:
get a balaclava
make some hand protectors(from the wind)... thinking of seeing if I can find some of that thick canvas type material... something like these

or something like this
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/hippo-hands/

invest in some wind proof pants
figure out a luggage system... almost burnt a hole in my Cortechs on the way to work (15 miles) cause they sat on the exhaust

that's pretty much it.

that's the over view...

here's my plan in a bit more detail

any input?

Last edited by Mr Lefty; 11-24-2009 at 07:49 AM..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote