Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default DOT does something useful for a change

Washington (CNN) -- Call it the Airline Passenger Bill of Rights, Version 2.0.

The Department of Transportation issued a second set of rules Wednesday to address a litany of passenger gripes, including the bane of modern air travelers' existence: hidden fees for bags, meals, pillows and reservation changes.

The new rules, which will take effect in 120 days, require airlines to prominently disclose all fees and taxes on their websites. It also increases compensation for passengers who are involuntary bumped, limits "tarmac delays" for international flights to four hours and makes other pro-consumer changes.

"We're trying to look out after passengers who, in some instances, have been treated pretty shabbily," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said.

Passenger rights advocates, who lauded the proposed rule, are likely to be happy with the final rule.

"We are ecstatic about the job that the Department of Transportation is doing," said Kate Hanni of FlyersRights.org. "They have taken on airline passenger rights in a way that no other administration has. And this is really ground-breaking for airline passengers. The fact that they're passing meaningful regulations... is just a miracle."

Hanni said the changes exceed those made in the 2009 airline passenger rights rule, which was prompted by a flurry of lengthy tarmac delays that put a national spotlight on passenger discontent.

In a nutshell, the new rules:

-- Require full disclosure of additional fees. Airlines must prominently disclose all potential fees on their websites, including fees for baggage, meals, canceling or changing reservations, or advanced or upgraded seating. Airlines and ticket agents must refer passengers to baggage-fee information, and must include all government taxes and fees in every advertised price. Previously, taxes and fees were not required in the up-front fare quotes.

"We recognized that passengers are sick and tired of paying for fees that they didn't know they were going to be paying," Secretary LaHood said. "Now all fees will be disclosed on the airline websites. So if you have to pay for a bag, it will be disclosed. If you need a pillow, it will be disclosed if you have to pay for it, (same with) a blanket, food. All of these things and the taxes will all be disclosed," he said.

And soon to come: the DOT says it will propose that all fees be displayed at ticket counters and other points of sale.

-- Limit tarmac delays. Foreign airlines at U.S. airports, or U.S. airlines on international flights, must limit tarmac delays to four hours. The rule makes exceptions for safety, security or air traffic control-related reasons. But carriers must ensure that stuck passengers are provided adequate food and water after two hours, as well as working lavatories and any necessary medical treatment. An existing rule limits tarmac delays for domestic flights to three hours.

-- Require compensation for bag fees. Airlines must refund baggage fees if the bag is lost. Airlines already must compensate passengers for lost, damaged or delayed bags. But the new rule requires them to refund the bag fees, typically $25 a bag, if the bag is lost. Airlines will also must apply the same baggage allowances and fees for all segments of a trip.

"So if you check a bag, they charge you $25, they lose your bag, you get reimbursed," LaHood said.

Some 2 million bags were lost, damaged or delayed in 2010, a rate of 3.57 per 1,000 passengers, the Department of Transportation said.

-- Increase compensation for bumping. The rule doubles the possible compensation for passengers involuntarily bumped from an oversold flight. Currently, bumped passengers are entitled to compensation equal to the value of their tickets, up to $400, if the airline is able to get them to their destination within a short period of time, or up to $800 for lengthier delays.

Under the new rule, bumped passengers subject to short delays will receive up to $650, while those subject to longer delays would receive payments up to $1,300. Inflation adjustments will be every two years.

Some 65,000 passengers were involuntarily bumped in 2010, a rate of 1.09 per 10,000 passengers, the Department of Transportation said.

The final rule announced Wednesday is available at the regulations.gov website, docket DOT-OST-2010-0140.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Rock the fuck on. Now if they could just do something about the rent-a-cops doing security...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I like it, but expect the airlines to increase prices as a result.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I like it, but expect the airlines to increase prices as a result.
Oh they will. And there will be less flights because they'll cut regional service to compensate.

Oh well.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

and I fully expect the 'full disclosure statement' to look something like this

Quote:
This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply.

This supersedes all previous notices.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

2 million bags lost? Gawd, and I thought only my dryer ate clothes. Dayum!!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

See, they lose your bags, and they don't care. Never have. By making them refund your bag fee after losing your bag (as well as cash claims made for the loss), they will now lose the FEE which, believe it or not, will actually cost them the MOST (I'm sure most people don't even file loss claims). They MIGHT at least try now to get your bag to you. This will NO DOUBT cost more.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
2 million bags lost? Gawd, and I thought only my dryer ate clothes. Dayum!!
3 bags are mine. Checked 'em and haven't seen 'em since.

This is why I try to avoid checking a bag at all costs.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Of all the things that could ever incentivize them not losing your bags...and ironically, the ability for the DOT to do this was actually something they brought upon themselves by installing such fees to begin with.

I'd watch for these fees to now vanish, and the costs will be silently rolled back into the airfares, so that they can return to profitability without actually having to give a fuck about your luggage, which they simply won't ever fucking do.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
3 bags are mine. Checked 'em and haven't seen 'em since.

This is why I try to avoid checking a bag at all costs.

Yup I've lost a few too, I've also had stuff missing from my bags when they came off the conveyor belt, usually a very full duffel bag is left with the top wide open because the TSA douche wants to take a look and cant get it to close right. Been reimbursed every time I filed a complaint though, no questions asked, all they want to know is what I had and its value and a few days later I get a check in the mail. But now I am that guy with a big book bag and a small roll on suitcase.