Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
serp16
Sausage King of Chicago

Moto: 08 600RR
Default Sport bike for shorties?

My wife would really like a sport bike. Unfortunately we cannot find one short enough for her. She is 5'-4". We tried sitting her on a Ninja 650 this weekend and she came up well 3" to 4" too short. I have read that the 250 is less than an inch different than the 650, so even with a lowering kit and lower seat, it still likely won't be low enough. Do you guys have any advice? I would hate to modify a bike and compromise safety/rideability...but I would also hate to make her ride a cruiser too.....

Thanks

LaLaLaLaLaLa
serp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
papapoi
Lost

shave down the stock seat maybe?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

there is a list floating around that covers the stock heights and such for the common sportbikes.

At 5'4" i find it odd that she cant find a bike like the 250 ninja or perhaps a GSXR that would be better suited height wise. I am 5'2" and can reach the ground almost flat footed with my GSXR, but I have long legs, but even a bit shorter legs should be able to tippy toe, whereas on a 250 I can actually bend my knees.

If she is without experience, 250 FTW. If she has enough to get a larger CC bike, look at something like the GSXR. Your hondas and yamahas tend to be a tad taller when seated, whereas Kawis are incredibly wide, making the reach more of an issue.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
serp16
Sausage King of Chicago

Moto: 08 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
there is a list floating around that covers the stock heights and such for the common sportbikes.

At 5'4" i find it odd that she cant find a bike like the 250 ninja or perhaps a GSXR that would be better suited height wise. I am 5'2" and can reach the ground almost flat footed with my GSXR, but I have long legs, but even a bit shorter legs should be able to tippy toe, whereas on a 250 I can actually bend my knees.

If she is without experience, 250 FTW. If she has enough to get a larger CC bike, look at something like the GSXR. Your hondas and yamahas tend to be a tad taller when seated, whereas Kawis are incredibly wide, making the reach more of an issue.
You're 5'-2" and fit on Gixxer? You MUST have really long legs...or my wife has really short ones...or both. She has zero experience, so I didn't want to start her out on something that was over her head.

LaLaLaLaLaLa
serp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by serp16 View Post
You're 5'-2" and fit on Gixxer? You MUST have really long legs...or my wife has really short ones...or both. She has zero experience, so I didn't want to start her out on something that was over her head.
250, get the new one, they RAWK!!! Saw one this weekend at the rally, looked just like your bigger bikes and very nice!! Best for learning and keeping around later on as well!!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
rider76
Canyon Carver

Moto: looking for the next ride

My wife is 5'3 and she rides a 250 ninja, she can't touch flat footed, but very close... I wouldn't buy a new bike... she is going to drop it some time in the learning process, almost everyone does. She/ you won't feel as bad dropping a 3 year old bike, then you will a week old bike..good luck
rider76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

My wife's 5'3" and owns a new Ninja 250R and it's fine for her.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
t-homo
WSB Champion

Buell Blast FTW. I am 5'8 and can bend my knees a lot on it. I'm selling one actually...
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Since she won't be pushing the limits of the suspension anytime soon, you can always lower it an inch or two, then raise it back up as she gets more comfortable.

Personally I would just try to find one with a decently low stock seat height and make her get used to it though.

I can't even close to flatfoot my 06 r6. No big deal.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
Buell Blast FTW. I am 5'8 and can bend my knees a lot on it. I'm selling one actually...
I sat on a Buell, not sure which model, a Firebolt or some shit and I thought that bitch sat high up, higher than my R6 and that's pretty high.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote