Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I do the same. I still have had people show up and say got cash, then lowball me.

Last time was beginner DSLR with two lenses, two batteries, a memory card, bad, original manuals and software, and a $100.00 effects filter set. I put it up for $500.00. Asshole showed up and had the balls to offer me $400.00, after already agreeing to the $500.00 on the phone. He knew that he had made a mistake when I got up and started to walk out, without saying a word.
It could work on some clueless sellers.......especially if he claims to notice damage that he "wasn't aware of before".

But in most cases it's BS, because if the buyer drove all the way out there, it means he's OK with the original price as stated.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
goof2
AMA Supersport

I would definitely toss out an offer less than asking when I am seeing something in person. It seems to me like a lot of the stuff I see on Craigslist already has some wiggle room built in to the price to begin with. It would be stupid not to try. Of course I wouldn't agree to a price over the phone before seeing what I am buying. I wouldn't go see something if the seller makes it clear their price is firm and I'm unwilling to pay that either.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
It could work on some clueless sellers.......especially if he claims to notice damage that he "wasn't aware of before".

But in most cases it's BS, because if the buyer drove all the way out there, it means he's OK with the original price as stated.
Given the equipment was spotless, he'd have had a little trouble trying to pull that on me. The situation backfired a little on him too as we're both members of the same local photography forum, and I'm hardly reticent about passing on such information to others who might be effected.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I do the same. I still have had people show up and say got cash, then lowball me.

Last time was beginner DSLR with two lenses, two batteries, a memory card, bad, original manuals and software, and a $100.00 effects filter set. I put it up for $500.00. Asshole showed up and had the balls to offer me $400.00, after already agreeing to the $500.00 on the phone. He knew that he had made a mistake when I got up and started to walk out, without saying a word.
When I had my used car business I sold a car to a young guy. We agreed on a price and were going to meet the next day. I had something done to the car for him and ran to Walmart to make him a spare key. After coming out he tried to offer me less money. I said no, we agreed on a price. I was ready to get back in the car to drive off. He ended up paying the full price we agreed on.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

This is why I dont bother with Craigslist, eBay fees suck but I hate dealing with people even more.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #16
2FURYUS
Trailer Queen

Moto: Busa & 1098S

I was selling my '23 t-bucket and I had a guy try to low ball me another $500 after we agreed on a price over the phone. I told him to get out of my car and go home. Needless to say after he drove 14 hours to "look" at it. He coughed up the $500.... he had me so pissed I was ready to raise the price. lol
2FURYUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FURYUS View Post
I was selling my '23 t-bucket and I had a guy try to low ball me another $500 after we agreed on a price over the phone. I told him to get out of my car and go home. Needless to say after he drove 14 hours to "look" at it. He coughed up the $500.... he had me so pissed I was ready to raise the price. lol
But on the other hand, I don't know why anyone would "agree on price" over the phone for something as complex as a car or bike. There is no way you'll know its true condition and how much you're willing to pay until you go see it.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
But on the other hand, I don't know why anyone would "agree on price" over the phone for something as complex as a car or bike. There is no way you'll know its true condition and how much you're willing to pay until you go see it.
True.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Easy enough to agree on price based on the item being as advertised, with no misrepresentation. I could understand wanting to renegotiate if there were undisclosed issues. Unfortunately it typically seems to not be the case, when some asshat decides to lowball.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Easy enough to agree on price based on the item being as advertised, with no misrepresentation. I could understand wanting to renegotiate if there were undisclosed issues. Unfortunately it typically seems to not be the case, when some asshat decides to lowball.
If I've never driven a particular model before, I won't know how much I'll like it until I drive it. So, even though the price might be acceptable for what the MARKET dictates, it might be too high for what I'm willing to pay if there is something about the way it drives/rides/feels that isn't as good as I was hoping it would be. So I see nothing wrong with telling the seller after the test drive "Well I haven't totally fallen for it, but I'll take it for $X"