2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Plenty of people have the power to fuck up my life, including police officers, DA's, and my bosses at work. But I don't have to call them "your honor" or rise when they enter the room. It just seems silly in this day & age. I'm not in the military, so I shouldn't have to rise when an authority figure enters the room.
Do you think that it's smart to not show respect to a police officer, DA, or your boss?

Now those examples don't hold a candle to the power and responsibility of a judge. A judge does not wield absolute power, there are checks and balances in place to keep the judicial system in line.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

All that should be necessary in court is: Stand straight, maintain eye contact, call them Sir or Ma'am, treat them with respect, and don't use any casual slang.

Not sure why "your honor" or rising when they enter the room is necessary.

My guess is it's done to make sure that "lowest common denominator" peeps are forced to wake up and realize that a courtroom is an important place that demands their full attention and clarity. But anyone who is halfway intelligent and raised well doesn't need such hand-holding. They can already do what I described in my first paragraph without being told to.

Last edited by Homeslice; 02-07-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #34
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
But anyone who is halfway intelligent and raised well.....
Aaaaaand the system breaks down here.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Just dropping this here
You know the deal....liveleak link
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6e0_1360266647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #36
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Just dropping this here
You know the deal....liveleak link
That is less cut an dried than the judge. The whole "Your on my time" shit from the cop for supposedly taking 45 minutes to respond to an assault call and the "Are you going to put your cigarette out like I asked you" when I never heard him ask in the first place were kind of BS. I particularly enjoyed "I'm not going to charge you with it" like the cop was doing the guy a favor, charge him with what? It sounded like the guy may have had a valid complaint about their response time but he went about it all wrong deciding to be Billy Bad-Ass to the cops. He also may have had a valid complaint about his treatment, but it likely would have gone nowhere.

Of course this video also reenforces the idea that when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #37
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
All that should be necessary in court is: Stand straight, maintain eye contact, call them Sir or Ma'am, treat them with respect, and don't use any casual slang.

Not sure why "your honor" or rising when they enter the room is necessary.

My guess is it's done to make sure that "lowest common denominator" peeps are forced to wake up and realize that a courtroom is an important place that demands their full attention and clarity. But anyone who is halfway intelligent and raised well doesn't need such hand-holding. They can already do what I described in my first paragraph without being told to.
You're right, those of us that are raised right and know right from wrong wouldn't need such hand-holding. Then again, those of us that are raised right are usually the complainant, if we're in the courtroom at all.

Those "lowest common denominator" usually need that wake up call. Unfortunately there are some people that are too oblivious to heed it or understand it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
She didn't get her bail doubled for saying Adios, at least not that alone. She was contemptuous of the court the entire time, probably not a smart fucking plan when the person it is directed toward has the power available at their sole discretion to charge you with "Contempt of Court".

Little Miss Shit-for-brains just learned an important lesson about acting like a clown in a courtroom. I suspect after a few days and discussion between her lawyer and the judge about instructing a client how a courtroom works, this idiot will be invited back to apologize. At that time I also suspect the judge will re-ask his questions which will likely be answered quickly and directly, without any of that "Rick Roll" shit. Afterward the rest of her 30 days will be vacated and bail will be set at a more reasonable amount. Even if the judge doesn't take that track you can bet the next time she is in front of a court this moron will think before wasting the court's time.
How about that:

http://www.wtsp.com/news/watercooler...ping-off-judge

MIAMI, Florida (AP) - A young Miami woman apologized for flipping off a judge, who then dropped contempt charges and vacated her 30-day jail term.

Eighteen-year-old Penelope Soto admitted Friday she was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol when she made the obscene middle- finger gesture and rude comments earlier this week directed at Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat. Video of the confrontation quickly went viral.

Soto tearfully apologized to the judge, who said the episode should be a lesson in how to properly treat people. Rodriguez-Chomat said Soto would have been a convicted felon if he allowed the contempt charge to stand.

Her lawyer said Soto will complete a drug court program, which includes treatment for drug addiction and usually results in charges eventually being dropped for first-time offenders.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #39
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

18? I would have guessed 23-24. Guess drugs do that to you.
And contempt of court is a felony, not a misdemeanor? BS imo.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote