Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

View Poll Results: What do you do with a helmet after a wreck?
Buy a new one, I don't trust it anymore 16 51.61%
Keep on riding with it as is, if it works once I trust it 1 3.23%
Get it "serviced" whatever that means. 0 0%
Buy a new one, helmets are cheaper than heads. 11 35.48%
I place my head in the cavernous depths of Tater's whore ex-wifes crotch. Pavement is safer. 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Default Crash tested

So I've heard people say this about their gear on here a few times. I'm not knocking anybodsy, but I've always been told you replace a helmet after a crash. I know people who have gone down multiple times with a helmet and still wear it, but I can't see doing that, especially since my insurance compeny will buy me a new one. So would you buy a new one after laying the bike down? Do you have it serviced or just press on? What about Jackets, boots, gloves and pants (assuming there's anything left of them)?

Last edited by Amorok; 03-12-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Amorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Buy a new one without question. I have a wrecked one that I sell super cheap if someone wants it. . Shoei TZR size M. First $25 + shipping can have it. I also have a non wrecked one identical to it that I will let go for $150.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

it depends on the type of crash. if my head took the brunt of the impact then yes...get a new one. but like my crash in january my body hit first and then my head slid on the pavement and scuffed it up pretty good...but I use it now for work...and once i get a little extra cash i'll get a new one for my daily use

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

If the helmet hit the ground or any other immoveable(?) object I'd replace it without question. If it didn't get damaged or just had a scratch or two then I probably wouldn't replace it.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb View Post
it depends on the type of crash. if my head took the brunt of the impact then yes...get a new one. but like my crash in january my body hit first and then my head slid on the pavement and scuffed it up pretty good...but I use it now for work...and once i get a little extra cash i'll get a new one for my daily use
I agree, my last 2 crashes on the track my body took the brunt of the crashes and didnt realy hit my head, but if I do hit my head i will replace the helmet since i believe they are supposed to be one and done. As for the rest of my gear it would depend on how it fared in the crash.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Same as what others have already said.. if it's a helmet that took impact during a crash, I'll replace it.

Certain jackets/boots/pants/gloves or whatever will survive more than one crash I imagine, assuming the stitching remained intact and the material wasn't too worn down from sliding, but any armor inserts that were impacted should be replaced, IIRC.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

You can send Shoei's in to be X-Rayed and tested. I did that with one helemt and they said it was fine and returned it to me. If they didn't say it was OK I would have bought a new one. Helmets are cheaper than heads, and sweat dries faster than skin heals.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Like any real decision in life, you have to evaluate it. If my head barely touched the ground and I had a knick in the paint, I wouldn't rush to donate more money to Shoei. If the damage was severe enough to cause any doubt about its reliability, it'd be gone.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Ive yet to it my head (or really any part of my body from a wreck) so I havent had to worry about it, but if my helmet hits the ground itll either get sent out to shoei like phisig did or replaced.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
shmike
Follower

I agree with the majority.

Helmet: If it takes an impact it gets replaced. If it gets scuffed from a minor lowside, I'll reuse it or downgrade it to mini-bike or street duty.

I bought a new lid last year after a lowside during practice. A rock scratched the lid and it lost a vent in the process. I replaced it because I wasn't sure it would pass tech at the next race. I was wrong. Now I have two race ready helmets.

Suit: Been down more times than Tater's wife at a swingers club. If a panel gets worn out or worn through, it gets fixed. If any of the Knox armor takes a serious impact, it gets replaced.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote