Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

How come GM has a diesle that gets 34mpg, while the VW diesles are advertising 10mpg more and getting in the 50's mpg?

Add to that the general cheaponess of GM cars and you see why the US auto industry is crap

I also thought that the cruz was gonna be disconinued in favor of another crappy small model?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The interior is "ok" but has too much of that Civic sci-fi styling, with blue lighting, fake metal trim, and hard-to-read gauges. Trying to appeal to people in their 20's I guess.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
derf
token jewboy

The faux metal trim and colored lights are a non issue for me, every manufacturer now uses them from the top end mercades down to the bottom crap chevy. Its the cheap plastic look and feel, impossible to read gauges, chrome dash trim that reflect directly light into my retina, and non side supportive seats.

Really most small car companies manage to cheap out on their interiors, some do a decent job, VW, Mini, Honda, Ford come to mind off the top of my head. Ford is the only american car company that has come out with a decent interior in the last 20 years, first with the focus, and now with the fiesta. And most euro and japanese brands are pretty good at designing small cars.

really my issue is mainly with Dodge and Chevy, who both manage to associate their names with producing feces. I mean really, when you think of the Dodge Calibur or the Chevy Cobal do you really think "Yeh I'd like to own that one day, or do you think "Yeh I'd like to rent that one day"?

Give me a Civic any day, and I'll turn the blue LED cup holders off.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Much rather have a Golf.............Easy to read gauges........Large numerals that stand straight up, instead of being angled around the gauge..............Not much faux metal at all..............No ghey "portholes" that bury each gauge 6 inches deep into the dash.................and gauge lights that are are red or green........not blue

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-20-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
How come GM has a diesle that gets 34mpg, while the VW diesles are advertising 10mpg more and getting in the 50's mpg?

Add to that the general cheaponess of GM cars and you see why the US auto industry is crap

I also thought that the cruz was gonna be disconinued in favor of another crappy small model?
Because VWs aren't advertising 10mpg more. Both the Golf and Jetta diesels have the same 34mpg combined that Chevy is claiming.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Because VWs aren't advertising 10mpg more. Both the Golf and Jetta diesels have the same 34mpg combined that Chevy is claiming.
Sorry, 8mpg more not 10

Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
GM had one close to being offered but when obutthead took over GM, it was scrapped/tabled.
Yeah, and it was a great setup from what I understand. Unfortunately, even before the project was killed, it would have been unsuccessful because the diesel was going to add something like $8K iirc to the price of a truck, which makes it cost-prohibitive.

I do know I've seen turbodiesel Ford Rangers in Europe and the Middle East, so I know it can be done and cheap. I'm sure the EPA is fucking us, but I'm fairly certain that what I want could be done here if a manufacturer really wanted to do it.

Quote:
Sorry, 8mpg more not 10

There's a difference between highway mileage and mixed mileage.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #18
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Sorry, 8mpg more not 10
See this part where it says "Combined Fuel Economy" and "34 MPG"? Chevy is claiming the same 34mpg combined.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 VW TDI Golf sticker combined.jpg (229.1 KB, 0 views)
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
See this part where it says "Combined Fuel Economy" and "34 MPG"? Chevy is claiming the same 34mpg combined.
Ok I'm mistaken on that point. But I'll still only believe it when I see it, and until that point I will look at their track record to guide my thoughts which leads me to not trust their claimed numbers
Old 03-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
What is the benefit to having diesel, when diesel fuel is more expensive than unleaded? They're talking about 34mpg, but for that size of vehicle, 34mpg is pretty standard, isn't it? So, why would you want a 34mpg diesel when you can have a 34mpg unleaded, which is cheaper fuel?
The Cruze ECO is supposed to get 42mpg and I would guess the diesel powered Cruze will get the same. Diesels inherently can get much better mileage because they are not forced to run at a fixed a/f ratio like gas. Also, the fuel content has more energy.

And diesels are just cool.

Quote:
Ok I'm mistaken on that point. But I'll still only believe it when I see it, and until that point I will look at their track record to guide my thoughts which leads me to not trust their claimed numbers
A 2.0L diesel IF calibrated by GM should easliy attain those numbers. They should have went with a 1.6L or 1.5L TD engine instead.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 09-05-2011 at 05:58 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote