Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Dime Quarter > Elite Trackdays

Old 12-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Oh, I'm not trying to tell you that you don't have experience - or that it will or will not make sense. I don't usually get into large explanations of why or how we do things online. There is a lot of mis-interpretation that comes with online written explanations, something I can't control with a verbal rider's meeting like I usually do.

Starting this company - one of the founding factors was getting rid of the group that is too fast [in their own mind] to be called slow. There is no other better way to explain it. We all know the group - and I know no one will ever claim to be *that guy*. It's the point-and-squirt, sand-baggers, and mental legends. And, they probably could qualify for a race group - but can handle being passed themselves, or maybe their ego can't. You should know exactly what I'm talking about.

I am making the best effort I can to protect the people that really truly belong in the Expert / Race group. The only way to do that is off personal evaluation and have EVERYONE earn the right to be there.

If a pass is to be made, there are a few spots on this particular track that make for an easy pass. And, by easy - I mean the rider in front will not ever have to do anything [brake, swerve, otherwise] in order for it to happen - as it should be. And, it isn't usually on a straight. By following another rider, it should become obvious where that pass can be done easily.

Is passing allowed? In Group 2 - yes. In Group 1 - online I will tell you no.

If passing is going to make or break your day, we might not be the place for you to come play.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
ROADandTRACK
Cupid Stunt!!!

Moto: momosickles

Point and Squirt!!! lol

I love you, Moira. :-)
Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Point and Squirt!!! lol

I love you, Moira. :-)
I love you too Keith!!

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Is passing allowed? In Group 2 - yes. In Group 1 - online I will tell you no.

I'll have to keep that in mind

I know you can't say cus its on here, but I'm taking this as basically a situation of, if you're in group 1 you shouldnt pass, BUT if you know what you're doing, and are consistantly smooth and safe, its tolerable...
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
TrackRider54
Track Whore

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2008 Kymco Agility 125

I am hoping to come down to Tally and wave flags for Elite at the end of the month with a friend of mine who did some corner work last year.

I've ridden with NESBA, STT, PTT, Ed Bargy Racing School, and Reg Pridmore CLASS.

All of them have slight variations on the rules, but the rules are there for safety. I've seen a guy get a helicopter ride out of Barber, seen ambulances haul people away too. I don't want to be one of them.

I remind myself that the point of a track day is to have fun and work on skills....not to be the fastest guy on the track or set the track record lap time. There are no trophies at the end of a track day.

If I get behind someone who is a "parker".....wide open in the straights and parks it in the corner....and I can't safely pass him. I'll simply ride through hot pit.

Having ridden in novice, intermediate, and advanced groups....I can tell you that I feel the advanced group is the safer group. I'm typically mid pack in the intermediate group, and one of the slower guys (if not the slowest) in the advanced group, but I feel safer riding with the more advanced riders.

I like the idea of riders having to be evaluated before they are allowed to bump up. If you're a good, safe, smooth rider, you don't need to be fast to ride in the advanced group. As long as you hold your line and don't do anything stupid (and don't get spooked by close passes), then that's the best place to be. But if you're all over the place, running wide in the turns, not running a consistent line, etc.....even if you're fast as hell....things happen REAL fast at 100+mph. Best not to be the cause of someone riding the helicopter.
TrackRider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im curious, ya'll have mentioned the "evaluation" to decide which group someone should be in a few times. Is this something not done typically?

Every track day Ive ever been at, and Im honest with myself, and put myself in the group I belong in. I know others dont, BUT, the CR's always make sure to watch and move people as needed, basically evaluating them and moving tem for safety's sake. So its something I just accepted as always being there. Is it not?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
TrackRider54
Track Whore

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2008 Kymco Agility 125

That's the way it should work. I typically do the same thing. 90% of the time I ride in intermediate, but I've done a few track days in the advanced group. Honestly, I like it better there, even though I'm one of the slower guys on the track.

I hold my line, do my thing, don't ride over my head, and I'm not bothered at all by someone going around me.
TrackRider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Im curious, ya'll have mentioned the "evaluation" to decide which group someone should be in a few times. Is this something not done typically?

Every track day Ive ever been at, and Im honest with myself, and put myself in the group I belong in. I know others dont, BUT, the CR's always make sure to watch and move people as needed, basically evaluating them and moving tem for safety's sake. So its something I just accepted as always being there. Is it not?
I've been to quite a few events with other orgs that people just drop themselves into whatever group their friends are in. Or, one group is sold out - so they put people into another group.

I am VERY protective of my upper group. There have been plenty of people that have told me they should be there that didn't make the cut... for various reasons.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I've been to quite a few events with other orgs that people just drop themselves into whatever group their friends are in. Or, one group is sold out - so they put people into another group.

I am VERY protective of my upper group. There have been plenty of people that have told me they should be there that didn't make the cut... for various reasons.

Thats scary!

I've been to TD's where people were in the wrong group, like intermediates in novice, so they can pass people and not get passed, but they get moved pretty quickly, usually for being asshats.

Ive finally started making intermediate times and I think I'll still be doing a few more days in novice, I want to be a SOLID intermediate, so the rest of the crazies dont kill me.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R

I agree on feeling safer and more secure in the advanced groups. The riders aren't unpredictable like some of the newbs can be (whether they realize it or not.. but hey at least they're there looking to learn)... However, make sure your bike is up to it...

My last track day of '08 was my first time really gettin on it with the zx10...

It was also the day I discovered the design flaw on the front brakes.
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote