Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Where to start............

In my youth (yes, I WAS young once) I would read and research and all that stuff.

Now I look for deals on interesting bikes; buy for price and resale, knowing that I'll be riding another one in a couple of weeks or months. Most of the fun for me is in riding and comparing all the great stuff out there. There really are damn few BAD bikes.
What about the Bimota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
My current bikes don't really count - they were part dream... part making things simple. One bike can serve parts to another so I don't ever have all bikes down. So, if something happens, I can order parts / snag parts and always have one running.

I'm right now researching motards... KTM is winning. That, primarily because they are run internationally through deserts, ponds, snow, everything and don't die...
I've seen on another forum where a couple guys have blown their KTM's... Treat it like any other dirtbike and you'll be fine though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I read alot of mags. But the reviews are very similar. Almost identical. So they can't be trust too much. I look at torque, not necessarily HP. And the torque curve. Flat wins. Usability. I'm not gonna roll at 150, 160, 180+ mph. So top end don't mean shit to me. I want power where I can use it. Vtwin all the way. Buell has a nice torque curve, and they handle well. They are also unique and not every knucklehead on the block has one. In fact, no knucklheads own them. Win.
I am a knucklehead and I own a Buell.

For me it was looks, v-twin, and then I rode one. I was looking for v-twins in any sort of variety and always liked the Buells... I wanted to pay cash for something, but I was sick of looking and knew I could afford the payments. Then I sold my bike and went the next weekend to test ride a Buell. I bought my bike that day.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

rode about every brand - ok not ducati or aprilla or buell - although i just can't get past the belt - i want a chain.. but i have rode all the major brands.. from a long time ago always been partial to yamaha.. then they came out with the R7 - next followed the R6 and R1.. that sold it for me.. i still wouldn't mind owning an R7 & R1 to go with my R6.. have one of each..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #13
bombadillo
Squid

I'm kinda in the same question boat right now. I'm currently riding a gs500e that I've done just about everything you can do to a stocker, and quite honestly getting kinda bored with the power its putting down. I was told that when I was bored, it was just me getting used to the power and then I could start to take it on its limits a little more. The problem is I only ride street, so I don't wanna tear up the streets because they have laws against that. This summer I'm gonna ride the crap out of the little thing and whether I'm bored or not ride it anyway. I'm gearing up for the next bike which has to primarily get around town and well. I would like something to be able to take on longer trips (250 miles per day), something that isn't afraid of the twisties, but isn't too punishing. Right now it seems to be the z1000 z750s fz6, sv650s (not the best tourer by all means but capable) f4i. Those seem to be the key tickets lately. Lemme know what anyone thinks.
bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #14
t-homo
WSB Champion

Just from reading a lot I really want an f4i or r6 as my next bike. Probably have to go with a salvage title for money reasons, but thats ok because I plan on riding it until it dies.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i bought the kawi cause it was a good deal, and i bought the rc51 cause i liked the looks and gasman told me to lol

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
What about the Bimota?

I've seen on another forum where a couple guys have blown their KTM's... Treat it like any other dirtbike and you'll be fine though...

I am a knucklehead and I own a Buell.

For me it was looks, v-twin, and then I rode one. I was looking for v-twins in any sort of variety and always liked the Buells... I wanted to pay cash for something, but I was sick of looking and knew I could afford the payments. Then I sold my bike and went the next weekend to test ride a Buell. I bought my bike that day.

Ok...apparently 1 knucklehead.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I'm kinda in the same question boat right now. I'm currently riding a gs500e that I've done just about everything you can do to a stocker, and quite honestly getting kinda bored with the power its putting down. I was told that when I was bored, it was just me getting used to the power and then I could start to take it on its limits a little more. The problem is I only ride street, so I don't wanna tear up the streets because they have laws against that. This summer I'm gonna ride the crap out of the little thing and whether I'm bored or not ride it anyway. I'm gearing up for the next bike which has to primarily get around town and well. I would like something to be able to take on longer trips (250 miles per day), something that isn't afraid of the twisties, but isn't too punishing. Right now it seems to be the z1000 z750s fz6, sv650s (not the best tourer by all means but capable) f4i. Those seem to be the key tickets lately. Lemme know what anyone thinks.
The best all-around bike has to be Honda's 750 VFR. The new one's with the variable cams and fuel injection are complicated, but earlier ones are terrific buys. Almost always owned by enthusiasts, older models should be in great shape. Good looks, good handling, comfortable, and power right off idle make it great for sport/touring, commuting, streets, and canyon riding.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #18
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

The Bimota was one of those things that I had lusted after pretty much since I laid eyes on one back in the seventies, but dispaired of ever riding one, let alone actually owning one. I really didn't care which model; I just knew that if there was ever a time one came along and I had the cash....that I would buy one, period. They are just another bike though; light weight, yes; rolling sculpture, yes; but they still stop, turn and accelerate, they need service just like any other bike, and they can have annoying traits, just like any bike.

Ya know how you can tell you bought the right motorcycle?

You find yourself sitting out in an unheated garage on a cold, windy night staring at your mount with a slight smile................
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #19
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
The Bimota was one of those things that I had lusted after pretty much since I laid eyes on one back in the seventies, but dispaired of ever riding one, let alone actually owning one. I really didn't care which model; I just knew that if there was ever a time one came along and I had the cash....that I would buy one, period. They are just another bike though; light weight, yes; rolling sculpture, yes; but they still stop, turn and accelerate, they need service just like any other bike, and they can have annoying traits, just like any bike.

Ya know how you can tell you bought the right motorcycle?

You find yourself sitting out in an unheated garage on a cold, windy night staring at your mount with a slight smile................
What you need next is the Tesi 3D
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

First I take into what sorts of riding I want to do then I begin to do research into those types of bikes and see which one a) seems to be the better performer, b) seems to be of good quality and c) check it out at the dealership to see if I like it & test ride. Prices aren't really a consideration because if I can't afford it, I wouldn't even bother to think about it in the first place. A few thousand one way or another don't mean squat if you're going to buy something you're not happy with.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote