Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Got caught in a snowstorm today.

It was 51 degrees when I left my house this afternoon. Went to the top of Lookout Mountain. Had a cup of hot chocolate in the cafe, and when I came outside the snow was blowing horizontally. Visibility was like 100 feet. I was wearing long johns under my leather pants and had two shirts under my leather jacket. Also had the Hippo Hands over the hand controls.

I headed down slower than usual and came up to a car. Under dry conditions, I would have passed him in a second. I could have stayed behind, but I didn't like the spray off his tires, nor did I like dividing my concentration between the car and the road ahead. So I passed on a straight. Except there is a hairpin turn at the end of the straight. I leaned off like a SOB. Luckily, the snow didn't stick to the road because it was too warm, but the road was very wet. This is when you have to have confidence in your tires and ability.

The snow was sticking to my face shield, but I didn't wipe it. Firstly, I didn't want to smear it as I could look through the clear spots, and secondly, I didn't want to get my gloves wet. I hate cold, wet hands, plus it's dangerous.
I did have to crack the shield a few times to keep it from fogging, even though I had put some Cat Crap on yesterday. I made it off the mountain ok and after I rode past the Coors brewery it stopped snowing. That's Colorado weather for you.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
It was 51 degrees when I left my house this afternoon. Went to the top of Lookout Mountain. Had a cup of hot chocolate in the cafe, and when I came outside the snow was blowing horizontally. Visibility was like 100 feet. I was wearing long johns under my leather pants and had two shirts under my leather jacket. Also had the Hippo Hands over the hand controls.

I headed down slower than usual and came up to a car. Under dry conditions, I would have passed him in a second. I could have stayed behind, but I didn't like the spray off his tires, nor did I like dividing my concentration between the car and the road ahead. So I passed on a straight. Except there is a hairpin turn at the end of the straight. I leaned off like a SOB. Luckily, the snow didn't stick to the road because it was too warm, but the road was very wet. This is when you have to have confidence in your tires and ability.

The snow was sticking to my face shield, but I didn't wipe it. Firstly, I didn't want to smear it as I could look through the clear spots, and secondly, I didn't want to get my gloves wet. I hate cold, wet hands, plus it's dangerous.
I did have to crack the shield a few times to keep it from fogging, even though I had put some Cat Crap on yesterday. I made it off the mountain ok and after I rode past the Coors brewery it stopped snowing. That's Colorado weather for you.
but at least you were riding... and that's why I'm looking forward to it!

glad you made it down! that's some intense shit!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Always with the stories. I can do rain, but snow- I don't think so. You're definitely a braver rider than me

If you haven't tried Zooke's you should. I picked up some at the Cycle World show and it works really well. Only get the blue wax if you can though, the spray stuff isn't nearly as good.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Wow, thats pretty crazy...considering I have only seen snow a few times in my life, i cant even imagine what its like to ride in it! Glad ya made it home safe!
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Snow not good.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Snow not good.
Ice even worse... good thing the asphalt was warm yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
LaFemmes
Queen Bee

Moto: 2003 R6

One pricey hot chocolate ha?

www.myspace.com/lafemmes
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record!
LaFemmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

yeah mountains are a unique weathersphere all in themselves.. here in michigan closest thing we have is trash heaps we turn into ski hills.. our weather is the same all the time partly to mostly shitty.. good story.. glad to hear you made it back alright..

freezing rain and snow tomorrow.. thank god i only work 3 miles from the house..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
sfarson
On a Ride

Moto: Two Wheels

NW... It was a day of snow showers. At least the forecasted dump didn't happen! 4" here in Park County and the roads are now clear.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
vabarber2
ICON FTW!!!

Moto: 00GSXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
Wow, thats pretty crazy...considering I have only seen snow a few times in my life, i cant even imagine what its like to ride in it! Glad ya made it home safe!
vabarber2 is offline   Reply With Quote