Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 07-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #41
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Not sure how that is possible given that 75% of the stopping power of a modern modern cycle is generated by the front brakes. My 109-R laughs at the rear brake. I seldom use it.
All I'm saying is that someone who only has ever used the rear brake is gonna be more profficient at using the rear brake only than you or I will be at using the rear brake only.

Last edited by derf; 07-05-2011 at 07:46 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #42
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
All I'm saying is that someone who only has ever used the rear brake is gonna be more profficient at using the rear brake only than you or I will be.
I disagree. Someone who uses both will be the most proficient. That person will learn to carry much greater speed into a corner and be able to use that brake at that greater speed, this will drastically increase the difficulty of properly applying that rear brake.

A rear braker is an easy mark on a race track. You can do two things to them. You can simply just outbrake them because they have to start their braking way before you or you can force them to carry more speed than they can lose if they try to brake with you and watch them run wide as you slip by...

A person that knows both front and rear braking will be more likely to be highly adept to backing it in as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 07-05-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #43
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
I can say I've never used the rear brake on a street going motorcycle.
Apparently you have never ridden a Harley. You NEED the rear brakes since the the front suck so bad. lol

My 2009 ZX6r front brakes stop on a dime with 2 fingers, though I do use the rear brakes on the street, but not on the track.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #44
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
....A rear braker is an easy mark on a race track. You can do two things to them. You can simply just outbrake them because they have to start their braking way before you or you can force them to carry more speed than they can lose if they try to brake with you and watch them run wide as you slip by...

A person that knows both front and rear braking will be more likely to be highly adept to backing it in as well.
Who in the ever fuck uses only the rear brake on the track? Or am I reading this wrong?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #45
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I disagree. Someone who uses both will be the most proficient. That person will learn to carry much greater speed into a corner and be able to use that brake at that greater speed, this will drastically increase the difficulty of properly applying that rear brake.

A rear braker is an easy mark on a race track. You can do two things to them. You can simply just outbrake them because they have to start their braking way before you or you can force them to carry more speed than they can lose if they try to brake with you and watch them run wide as you slip by...

I agree that using both brakes is the best, most of your braking power is in the front wheel, O amended my statement to be more clear.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #46
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Who in the ever fuck uses only the rear brake on the track? Or am I reading this wrong?
noobs and a certain mod use to do it to, but I think they went to front brake use finally.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #47
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
All I'm saying is that someone who only has ever used the rear brake is gonna be more profficient at using the rear brake only than you or I will be at using the rear brake only.
And, I'm saying, they aren't proficient at handling a motorcycle. From the people I've seen ride that way, their riding abilities have been stunted because they are doing it wrong. The rear brake just isn't strong enough to stop efficiently. It takes too much planning, it's like doing complicated math while riding.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #48
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I back shit in all the time. There's a time and place for the back brake. Most people would do well to stay far the fuck away from it, though.
Must.........stop............laughing..........

But I can't.

JC
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #49
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post

The helmets law is for the the "ones" that don't have any common sense.
It's unfortunate, but sometimes common sense has to be forced onto people.

Take some 16 year old kid, give him a GSXR, and let him make the helmet decision?

You might as well just take him out back and shoot him.

JC
Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #50
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Here's my deal, if you are riding without a helmet and get hit by a car and die then car driver becomes a killer instead of just an ass hat who hit a biker and injured him/her. So does that mean that car driver is responsible for your life when you could have (possibly) prevented your own death by wearing a helmet? That's where it gets messy IMO. Heather has had a lot of time to think about whose fault each and every aspect of the crash is when a car hits a bike. Waaay too much time.

Last edited by HurricaneHeather; 07-05-2011 at 11:36 AM..
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote